fiduciary

Author Topic: The Flashgun Challenge  (Read 14245 times)

Offline K-2SO

• Killer Droid Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Congratulations! You are being rescued.
Re: The Flashgun Challenge
« Reply #135 on: September 20, 2020, 08:36:57 PM »
Sure, that seems fair.  I don't anticipate any objections, but you never know.

Just please post the decision ASAP. FJK doesn’t log in here too often, but I do know that he monitors what goes on.

I find your arguments vague and unconvincing.

Quiet! *Slap* And there’s a fresh one if you mouth off again.

Offline Iggy

• Formerly known as Polarcupz
  • Master Force User
« Reply #136 on: September 21, 2020, 06:22:57 AM »
I finished mine over the weekend but I have no problem with an extension.

I ordered the other flash unit to play with and it has a 3 day shipping time frame. Here 2 weeks later it still isn't here.  :mad: Now it says it will be here today...so I might even have another build to enter if everything goes well although I ran out of JST connectors.  :rolleyes:

Hoping to see some cool builds. These E57 contests are great at that.

"I think, therefore I am. I destroy, therefore I endure."

Offline eastern57

• Neato Jedi Knight
  • Master Force User
« Reply #137 on: September 21, 2020, 01:05:52 PM »
I think it’s safe to officially move the deadline to 8 Oct.   Hopefully that’s enough time for FJK to get a thread up before the weekend.  Pressure’s on, man! :wink:  And since we’re talking about it… what are everyone’s thought on the following:

1. Multiple Votes – e.g. if there are 3 or 4 entries, vote for up to 2 … if there are 5+ entries, vote for up to 3.  The reason is that this yields more telling numbers (than singular voting), and almost guarantees that all entries will get some votes.  We’ve done this on past contests, and it works well.

2. #flashgunchallenge hashtag – in addition to being handy for search, it’s also handy for your showoff thread and video titles.  E.g. “#flashgunchallenge (saber name) by e57”, so people will know which builds are associated with the contest.  Also, a quick google search for #flashgunchallenge will bring up all the contest threads and videos.

Offline Forgetful Jedi Knight

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • The old Jedi Master also commonly known as FJK
« Reply #138 on: September 21, 2020, 04:29:21 PM »
The amount of time it will take me is directly related to how many entrants there are.

As for your voting suggestion, that’s for you guys to decide, though I personally am mixed on it. E57, Just PM me what is decided, so I know how to set things up.

May the force be with you all!

Remember... speak softly and carry a well constructed light saber! :)

How "Freedom of Speech" works:  you have the freedom to say whatever you want, BUT you also have the freedom to suffer whatever consequences your actions or words dictate

Offline scott

• Experienced Force User
  • Oh, I don’t think so.
« Reply #139 on: September 21, 2020, 06:10:04 PM »
I think it’s safe to officially move the deadline to 8 Oct.   Hopefully that’s enough time for FJK to get a thread up before the weekend.  Pressure’s on, man! :wink:  And since we’re talking about it… what are everyone’s thought on the following:

1. Multiple Votes – e.g. if there are 3 or 4 entries, vote for up to 2 … if there are 5+ entries, vote for up to 3.  The reason is that this yields more telling numbers (than singular voting), and almost guarantees that all entries will get some votes.  We’ve done this on past contests, and it works well.

2. #flashgunchallenge hashtag – in addition to being handy for search, it’s also handy for your showoff thread and video titles.  E.g. “#flashgunchallenge (saber name) by e57”, so people will know which builds are associated with the contest.  Also, a quick google search for #flashgunchallenge will bring up all the contest threads and videos.
[
I think this is a great idea...alternatively, we could use MVP type voting...everyone picks 1, 2 and 3.

I am ok either way. Appreciate the extra time, especially from those who are done and generous enough to give the rest of us a few days. It is definitely on!

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
« Reply #140 on: September 21, 2020, 06:29:10 PM »

For the hashtag and photos and stuff, we are waiting until AFTER the contest is over to post any photos, right?

Offline scott

• Experienced Force User
  • Oh, I don’t think so.
« Reply #141 on: September 21, 2020, 06:38:44 PM »
Yep. Unless you want to feel the wrath of FJK!

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
  • Very, Very English Poster
« Reply #142 on: September 22, 2020, 05:18:15 AM »
Multiple votes sounds cool by me.

...now to come up with a name for a saber.
Better late than never.

Offline eastern57

• Neato Jedi Knight
  • Master Force User
« Reply #143 on: September 23, 2020, 05:23:42 PM »
Okay, so there's just about 2 weeks left.  I still have to send my pictures and description to FJK, I've been putting it off because I'm not entirely happy with the pictures that I took.  I'm going to try another approach this weekend, and hopefully I'll like something. 

Unirregardlessly, I'll send my pics this weekend, along with the description and voting guidance, so please, voice your opinion on multiple vs singular voting. 

I'd like to give him as much time as I can to get his ducks in a row, so if you're finished and have your anonymous pictures and description ready, please send them to FJK (in accordance with the instructions on page 7).

[pause]

[reflect]

I'm excited.  The good feels that this has generated - especially given what has happened since February - has, so far, made it worth it for me.  In the event I turn into a jerkface and forget to say it later: Thank You to everyone participating, everyone spectating, and everyone who will enjoy the fruits of our lightsaberin!  You're awesome! :grin:

Offline scott

• Experienced Force User
  • Oh, I don’t think so.
« Reply #144 on: September 23, 2020, 06:54:23 PM »
I second the sentiment...holy crap, 2020 between the conception of this challenge and the judging...wow!  Even though it has taken me a while to actually dive in, having this objective out there, and some relatively consistent chat, has been a good distraction!  I won’t be one of the early entries, but am committed to having something reasonably respectable to put forward.

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
  • Very, Very English Poster
« Reply #145 on: September 24, 2020, 02:46:45 AM »
I second the sentiment...holy crap, 2020 between the conception of this challenge and the judging...wow!  Even though it has taken me a while to actually dive in, having this objective out there, and some relatively consistent chat, has been a good distraction!  I won’t be one of the early entries, but am committed to having something reasonably respectable to put forward.

Ditto. I've only just drilled and tapped my first bolt last night, but I'll get something in in time (he says, praying to various gods he can find a local vinyl cutting service before the end of the month)
Better late than never.

Offline EXAR KUN

• Master Force User
« Reply #146 on: September 24, 2020, 08:44:21 AM »
Okay, so there's just about 2 weeks left.  I still have to send my pictures and description to FJK, I've been putting it off because I'm not entirely happy with the pictures that I took.  I'm going to try another approach this weekend, and hopefully I'll like something. 

Unirregardlessly, I'll send my pics this weekend, along with the description and voting guidance, so please, voice your opinion on multiple vs singular voting. 

I'd like to give him as much time as I can to get his ducks in a row, so if you're finished and have your anonymous pictures and description ready, please send them to FJK (in accordance with the instructions on page 7).

[pause]

[reflect]

I'm excited.  The good feels that this has generated - especially given what has happened since February - has, so far, made it worth it for me.  In the event I turn into a jerkface and forget to say it later: Thank You to everyone participating, everyone spectating, and everyone who will enjoy the fruits of our lightsaberin!  You're awesome! :grin:

Unfortunately for FJK, he prolly won't have my pics until just before the deadline  :cheesy:
So I'm glad a couple people might have theirs in before the deadline so FJK isn't overwhelmed.

I'm good with the multiple votes because the maths still work out all fair for everyone.

Very excited about this contest! I dream about the pieces coming together so I hope my thing ends up looking as cool as I imagine. I'll be utilizing these last two weeks.

Offline bombarta

• Master Force User
  • Impressive..... most Impressive!
« Reply #147 on: September 26, 2020, 10:31:13 AM »
Finished the install and just put it on charge.  :grin:
Can't wait to see what you guys have done.
I don't know, i gotta bad feeling about this!

Offline EXAR KUN

• Master Force User
« Reply #148 on: September 26, 2020, 11:35:36 AM »
Finished the install and just put it on charge.  :grin:
Can't wait to see what you guys have done.

Ah! Nice! Can't wait to see yours. Working on mine right now. Still machining. Hope to do the install next week. I've got a board I'll use. Harris wired up a couple components like buttons so far so I have a bit of a head start with the wiring once the machining is done.

Offline scott

• Experienced Force User
  • Oh, I don’t think so.
« Reply #149 on: September 26, 2020, 06:23:07 PM »
Wait, who is Harris?  You doing a team build :)?

If Harris has any extra cycles, I could use some help too!

retrousse