fiduciary

Author Topic: Balance of Power (SJ/SF CA bay area)  (Read 6414 times)

Offline Novastar

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • NCSCS - Sabercombat.com
    • DIAMOND DRAGONS: Humans stand, heroes fall--but DRAGONS are *Forever*...
Re: Balance of Power (SJ/SF CA bay area)
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2011, 02:28:35 PM »
Ok... I was able to unlock this thread... :)

In general, I'm always looking to amass a 3rd team to perform BOP III... it's just always been tough to do such a thing when:

* Everyone has busy lives...
* Everyone lives all over the place, even if we all DO have "LED sabers" in common...
* Scheduling is sometimes prohibitive
* Having the right abilities PLUS "fitting a role" can be tough...
* Let's face it, live staged combat with LED sabers... is ~TOUGH~ and requires a lot of work
* It's mainly a volunteer thing, and I can't (usually?) pay people... not even myself!!!  Not unless you count me buyin' dinner for cast get-togethers, or... I dunno... helping people with their own LED sabers, and so forth.  :)

Anyhow... to put it simply:

1.  YES, I have a burning desire to FINISH THIS PROJECT.  Only thing stopping me for the mostpart has (as always) been amassing a cast.
2.  Most of the sound-plot is ready-to-go, although I can't exactly lay in saber sound effects until I know precisely how each battle will play out.
3.  This project is MASSIVE for its kind.  It will take a lot more than "just actors" to make the whole thing succeed.  We'll need people helping with finding/setting up venues to perform at... costumes... logistics... not to mention we'll (eventually) be needing at least FIVE TO SIX CHILDREN in the show!!  Which means those rehearsals will need to be special and not be "too late" on any given evening.
4.  With rehearsals at one day a week... it would take MONTHS and MONTHS to be ready for the show.  Even at 2 days/week... it would be a long project.

This isn't to say it's impossible for just a small business owner like myself... but it's certainly come a LONG WAY from BOP I and even BOP II.  It's a LOT bigger now!!!  We've come a long way from 5 minute (BOP I) and 17 minute (BOP II) performances...

...BOP III will be about 40 minutes.  Yes, that's right... FORTY.   :o  I mean, it might even be longer than that, but I'm hoping not to go TOO berserk with battles "drawing out" the timeline...

I've always maintained that BOP III--should it get completed--will put to ~*SHAME*~ the other two shows.  It will make my own initial performances look pathetic, childlike and weak-sauce in comparison.  :)

And why not?  Why NOT out-do yourself?  We upgrade our sabers... we upgrade our skills for jobs/passions/hobbies... why NOT upgrade BOP stuff?  :D
* Former creator and owner of SaberCombat
* CUSTOM SOUND FONT LIST --->
Click here for Nova's 100+ custom sound fonts!
* PERFORMANCE HIGHLIGHTS ---> Click here for Nova's saber performance work...
* DIAMOND DRAGONS ---> Diamond Dragons: A feature-length screenplay being developed by Matthew 'Novastar' Carauddo

I don't post often on forums anymore.  If you want to e-mail me: novastar1138@gmail.com, or visit me on Facebook:

Click here.

Offline vulcan fox

• Master Force User
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2011, 09:32:27 AM »
having seen BOP1...2 ive just read this post with great interest, yeah its co ordinating the whole project, the whole thing, WOW, thats a colossal task.... your list of needs says everything .... have you considered just a straight to DVD approach ?.. seems easier given your creative short vids, or is live performance the main idea? you often get movie to theatre cross over and visa versa,just a thought or two but i imagine that even the vid would throw up its own set of problems , .. one things for sure why isnt life ALOT EASIER? :D :D :D

Offline MasterScott831

• Formerly known as Darthlacess831
  • Force User
  • Grand Master of the Santa Cruz Jedi Academy
    • Santa Cruz Jedi Academy
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2011, 03:11:06 AM »
Just so you know, Nova. On behalf of the Santa Cruz Jedi Academy, may I say, you have our support for BOP III. And I'm sure the same can be said for the Golden Gate Knights. With that many people, I think we all can put our minds, resources, connections, etc together and help get BOP III going again. Honestly, I think it could be done. We all can't be performers, but there's still more people who I am sure wouldn't mind volunteering, contributing ideas, sharing contacts and/or scouting a stage crew for this project.  
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 03:14:39 AM by MasterScott831 »
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes" is a statement that deals in absolutes.

Visit our saber group's homepage! The link is on my profile under website. :)

Offline Novastar

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • NCSCS - Sabercombat.com
    • DIAMOND DRAGONS: Humans stand, heroes fall--but DRAGONS are *Forever*...
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2011, 02:03:10 AM »
@Scott -- much thanks!  Same goes to your group... I'll support whenever time & logistics permit...

@Vulcan -- going "all video only" defeats the purpose of what my particular goals are, which is about *LIVE* staged combat.  I'm not trying to bash film when I say this, but... fancy graphics + quick editing + stick props have never been *MY* kind of way of doing things.

Additionally... it may be a bit pretentious of me, but--I think the world has been slowly LOSING what it truly feels like to experience live performance.  Not that you can't go see a play, or that you can't go see cirque du soleil... but I mean to say that it's becoming RARER and rarer still, for certain.

Live performance ALWAYS loses out to video (both capability-wise and profit-wise)... because films can be put together in any order of events... editing can aid people/things not having to "really happen"... and the director NEVER has to show the audience what he/she doesn't want them to see.  In other words--all the stuff left on the editing room floor... the stuff you've never see nor fully appreciate.

In live performance, you also have the ENERGY OF THE AUDIENCE.  :)  You also have the whole "sequential/contiguous" plot, event, and storyline... and you have no ability to just say: "Oh wait, wait!  Stop!  I forgot my ______."  Or even: "Hold up, hold up!  I messed up my line.  Here, I gonna do it again."...

Or even: "Oops.  I crashed on my acrobatic trick.  Let me do it again."  :)

To me, all THAT is the reason to do such performances.

I do not care about "youtube views", I do not care about "who has the coolest graphic saber glow effects", I do not care about who can edit footage in the best manner to trick the audience into "following along"/believing that some guy did a flip when he really didn't.  :)

I care about TRULY being able to fulfill on what you see from A to Z, from start to finish.

It's a lot to ask from a group of volunteers, but... all I can say is--those who go through such an experience?  It changes their lives, that's sure.  8)
* Former creator and owner of SaberCombat
* CUSTOM SOUND FONT LIST --->
Click here for Nova's 100+ custom sound fonts!
* PERFORMANCE HIGHLIGHTS ---> Click here for Nova's saber performance work...
* DIAMOND DRAGONS ---> Diamond Dragons: A feature-length screenplay being developed by Matthew 'Novastar' Carauddo

I don't post often on forums anymore.  If you want to e-mail me: novastar1138@gmail.com, or visit me on Facebook:

Click here.

retrousse