fiduciary

Author Topic: Rumble motors, Yay or Nay  (Read 9954 times)

Offline Simpi-Gon Sims

• "I'll bring the popcorn"
  • Master Force User
    • Simpi Sabers
Re: Rumble motors, Yay or Nay
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2012, 06:46:21 AM »
Ok where can one purchase the appropriate cellphone-size rumble motor for a saber???  Please advise.

Do a search on google or ebay for a mini or micro vibration motor. If you can't find any, let us know and maybe we can help out further.
"It's not broken, it's a feature."

Offline LordBlako

• Master Force User
  • I'm just the Font Maker!
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2012, 07:19:41 AM »
Ok where can one purchase the appropriate cellphone-size rumble motor for a saber???  Please advise.

Do a search on google or ebay for a mini or micro vibration motor. If you can't find any, let us know and maybe we can help out further.

i'Ve made some really good experience with this one http://www.ebay.de/itm/Vibrationsmotor-Solarmotor-Elektromotor-Gleichstrommotor-Motor-/180920398109?pt=RC_Modellbau&hash=item2a1fb2311d maybe you can find a model like that in your country...  :) but you need to find a way to mount it...

edit: btw, you can use a resistor to achieve the desired rumble intensity...
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 08:23:53 AM by LordBlako »

Offline basalter

• Experienced Force User
    • A pinch of Salter
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2012, 08:18:12 AM »
This has been a really useful post, appreciate the question AND especially the feedback, since it is really the last decision to make on my build. Since I have the Bass speaker I think I will be trying that out first before a motor now.

Offline obi-007

• No Force
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2012, 05:51:25 PM »

Thanks bud... I was able to purchase some based on links to helpful suppliers in the forum.

Offline Simpi-Gon Sims

• Master Force User
    • Simpi Sabers
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2012, 06:31:16 AM »

Thanks bud... I was able to purchase some based on links to helpful suppliers in the forum.

Awesome! Best of luck!

Offline Sethski

• Master Force User
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2012, 07:45:30 AM »
I'm mostly a nay, especially if they're audible - I've seen some vids of builds with motors that you can hear and they go some way to ruining the saber for me. Having said that, a motor you can feel but not hear just for clash and lock up IS something that might appeal.

Offline Simpi-Gon Sims

• Master Force User
    • Simpi Sabers
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2012, 06:20:54 AM »
I'm mostly a nay, especially if they're audible - I've seen some vids of builds with motors that you can hear and they go some way to ruining the saber for me. Having said that, a motor you can feel but not hear just for clash and lock up IS something that might appeal.

I will say that the motors from Radio Shack are too strong IMO. I've used 2 before and both of them are somewhat audible. Rumble motors are one of those things that will just take some experimenting and tweaking.

Offline Gil Gamesh

• Formerly known as Kit Fisto
  • Master Force User
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2012, 08:07:27 PM »
Old motorola cell phones have a really impressive one within.  If your old borked phone had a silent/buzz feature, could be worth a shot  ;)
Support our Font Makers!

Offline obi-007

• No Force
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2012, 06:02:17 PM »
I'm a noob but am learning quick.  I tried the rumble motor (got a professional one, i.e., the size as those used in cell phones) and hooked-it-up using a potentiometer (variable resistor) as our beloved Erv indicates for CF v. 5.1.  It works well enough, but alas it doesn't provide nearly enough vibration regardless of the speed of the motor, and it is no good running all the time (linked to main LED) but rather s/b run only on a clash (linked to the FOC LED die).  Has amyone had any luck wiring it to the FOC die, or does this just draw too much current?  

Offline Gil Gamesh

• Formerly known as Kit Fisto
  • Master Force User
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2012, 07:35:45 PM »
out of curiosity where did you have the motor mounted in the saber?  Also, when looking for one of these motors, you want one with a decent sized head to spin around versus the smaller ones to give more of the vibration.  Key to good results is solid mounting to the interior wall of the hilt itself.

Support our Font Makers!

Offline Simpi-Gon Sims

• Master Force User
    • Simpi Sabers
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2012, 05:49:59 AM »
out of curiosity where did you have the motor mounted in the saber?  Also, when looking for one of these motors, you want one with a decent sized head to spin around versus the smaller ones to give more of the vibration.  Key to good results is solid mounting to the interior wall of the hilt itself.

I agree about the mounting; A lot of the results will come from how the motor is mounted rather than the motor itself. You want a nice, tight mount/seal between the motor and interior hilt wall.

I haven't tried to run a motor from the FoC lead. However, I think it might work if you used the correct resistor.

retrousse