fiduciary

Author Topic: My First Build - An "Alternative" Saber  (Read 2574 times)

Offline RenegadeFury

• No Force
  • Thundercats HO!
    • Who IS Jareth Dakk?
My First Build - An "Alternative" Saber
« on: October 21, 2012, 09:29:59 AM »
I found out about all of *this* a couple weeks ago - meaning the fx-sabers and TCSS forums, the advances in sabersmithing technologies, plus I actually live pretty close to Novastar and Caine. So, naturally, I HAVE to build a saber.

However, I'm also working on a novel (www.JarethDakk.com). There's a part of the story where the kids build a lightsaber-ish weapon to get past security robots. I thought it might be interesting to build THAT.

Here's some sketches.

My first priority will be to build a rudimentary saber to get a feel for how to do the electronics. Something like this:

I'm from a medieval swordfighting background, so I definitely wanted a longer hilt - this is kind of a hand-and-a-half hilt length. I originally wanted a full hilt but it is just too dang long:

But eventually the hilt is going to look more like these:

These are primed plumbing/sprinkler parts I attached to golf clubs with the clubs sawed off a long time ago (for a film project way back when). By the way, the golf club cores gave these props EXCELLENT balance.

Hoping to have the electronics hooked up tonight!

More to come.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 10:57:46 AM by RenegadeFury »
~Matt Shields

The Five Heroic Truths

Life is conflict.

Conflict is ambition.

Ambition is opposed, but ambition can overcome opposition.

Achievement of ambition creates more energy than it consumes.

Conflict is eternal but can be mastered.

@MattIsWriting

Offline RenegadeFury

• No Force
  • Thundercats HO!
    • Who IS Jareth Dakk?
Re: My First Build - the Novablade
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 11:06:55 PM »
After getting the parts and assembling the hilt without the electronics, I made three observations:

The initial concept was way too long:

So I shortened it. But the second observation was the the width of the handle doesn't make it very comfortable to hold. I compare the TCSS hilt to a longsword hilt in the video here:

So I want to make the hilt handle only and inch in diameter or so.

Third, the weight and balance were pretty good but could be better. An authentic longsword from medieval times would balance at the bottom of the blade or perhaps right at the guard, and gives it such a great balance and makes it a joy to wield.  

Lastly, here's a video of me firing up my first saber and doing a few flourishes. :)

Progress!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 06:15:09 PM by RenegadeFury »
~Matt Shields

The Five Heroic Truths

Life is conflict.

Conflict is ambition.

@MattIsWriting

Offline m4rco

• Force User
  • Hey there
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 11:38:09 PM »
I like the hilt design, looks different than everybody elses! :)

Offline RenegadeFury

• No Force
  • Thundercats HO!
    • Who IS Jareth Dakk?
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 01:16:19 PM »
Thanks M4rco!

I got a request for chestpack pics. Links to three pics below.

It is a Clik Elite Micro Case.

The harness is being completely replaced-

-because its a bit too loose (needs to be snug)

I'm not yet sure if I'll be adding chotchkies to this chest pack or fabricating something new, but the final version will have some indicator lights and switches. More sketches coming soon.

Design-wise, I wanted to place the pack high on the chest to keep it out of the way of sword fighting technique. I was a little surprised to find that I was totally unimpeded by the chest pack while doing the "eight cuts" (those of you involved with ARMA know what I'm talking about)! You might think that I would want to put it on the back but I wanted it to be accessible for two reasons A) to turn the thing on and off easily B) if it were real, the power source would be extremely valuable and you would want to keep it where you could see it.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 09:00:29 PM by RenegadeFury »
~Matt Shields

The Five Heroic Truths

Life is conflict.

Conflict is ambition.

@MattIsWriting

Offline GreyJedi

• Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 01:21:02 PM »
a very utilitarian approach to a saber, very interesting. welcome to the forum btw

Offline vulcan fox

• Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 03:40:36 PM »
your observations on hilt design are all valid , im sure that almost everyone is aware that in general lightsaber hilts are quite thick when compared to a regular broad sword, however check out either vaders or lukes ANH sabers against your initial MHS saber and yours will be way more comfortable .
    as we can now buy the NB sound board which is extremely small 1 inch grip sections may become the norm,... just a final thought on your spinning light around the emitter , it sounds like a nice idea and i would assume you will need a sequencer to achieve the right effect .... good luck with your project .

Offline RenegadeFury

• No Force
  • Thundercats HO!
    • Who IS Jareth Dakk?
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 09:25:45 PM »
Thanks for the input, guys!

And Vulcan Fox - I definitely agree. Another reason I wanted to compare the lightsaber hilt to my waster is that its so impractical to build sharp-edged chotchkies into the hilt of a weapon. Even though you could probably learn how to wield it comfortably, it just makes sense to keep it smoother and practical.

More to come!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 11:29:20 PM by RenegadeFury »
~Matt Shields

The Five Heroic Truths

Life is conflict.

Conflict is ambition.

@MattIsWriting

Offline DarthAlice880

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 11:49:25 AM »
After getting the parts and assembling the hilt without the electronics, I made three observations:

The initial concept was way too long:

http://flic.kr/p/dmyMgJ

So I shortened it. But the second observation was the the width of the handle doesn't make it very comfortable to hold. I compare the TCSS hilt to a longsword hilt in the video here:

So I want to make the handle only and inch in diameter or so.

Third, the weight and balance were pretty good but could be better. An authentic longsword from medieval times would balance at the bottom of the blade or perhaps right at the guard, and gives it such a great balance and makes it a joy to wield.  

Lastly, here's a video of me firing up my first saber and doing a few flourishes. :)

Progress!
Interesting concepts! , I have been considering building something similar with a very small power pack and the smallest, lightest hilt design I could manage. Here is a pic of an electronic fencing epee , next to the new Nano-B. I'm thinking with a bit of creative machining, and a custom emmiter/led holder/heatsink combo it should work...just where to put a switch!
[img width= height=]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-swtor/d7de3aa0746a70e0.png[/img][/url]

Offline RenegadeFury

• No Force
  • Thundercats HO!
    • Who IS Jareth Dakk?
Re: My First Build - the Novablade (looks like a retro/proto saber)
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 04:00:37 PM »
Whoa DarthAlice! You are always coming up with the really artsy, interesting sabers.

I think you need to post another picture showing us how this hilt is held.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 05:59:35 PM by RenegadeFury »
~Matt Shields

The Five Heroic Truths

Life is conflict.

Conflict is ambition.

@MattIsWriting

Offline RenegadeFury

• No Force
  • Thundercats HO!
    • Who IS Jareth Dakk?
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 06:00:38 PM »
SEMI-UPDATE: I'm still trying to figure out a visually simple, but realistic-looking way to make it clear that power is going through the power cable into the sword hilt. My original idea was that the power cable would split into smaller cables/cords hooking into the sides of the glove, and the palm would light up, to make it clear the power was going to the palms, and then into the sword hilt. However, I haven't been able to find any gloves that look right, and I'm just not sure how I'm going to pull it off yet.

So my back-up idea is to have the power cable go into the hilt of the sword, as pictured in this sketch - actually the sketch shows the power cord attaching to the bottom of the hilt, but I hated that, and thought it was better to have it go in mid-hilt.

I kind of liked this idea, because when the sword wasn't being used, the hilt could be attached to the forearm to keep it out of the way.

We'll see which direction I end up going in the next few weeks.
~Matt Shields

The Five Heroic Truths

Life is conflict.

Conflict is ambition.

@MattIsWriting

Offline DarthAlice880

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 06:45:25 PM »
Whoa DarthAlice! You are always coming up with the really artsy, interesting sabers.

I think you need to post another picture showing us how this hilt is held.
Here you go, this is how most pistol-grip fencing sabers look without the half round hand guard and epee blade, (you can see where Count Dooku's Saber's inspiration came from , this is a very old design)

As far as having a clear power cable, why not look at some 3/8 vinyl tubing, run your lead wires,(plus the flexibilty needed ) and EL wire to give you a neon power effect that if wired to a board could pulse as well?, I bought a set at kmart that runs off of 2 AA's and is easy cannabilize  components for projects like this
[img width= height=]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-swtor/d7de3aa0746a70e0.png[/img][/url]

retrousse