fiduciary

Author Topic: The MANDALORIAN  (Read 11627 times)

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
The MANDALORIAN
« on: September 05, 2019, 08:20:10 AM »

What are your thoughts about the upcoming MANDALORIAN tv show?

Are you guys going to buy the Disney Plus service to be able to watch this show?

I'm a bit upset they just announced they are going to introduce the First Order in the show,... seemingly 'forcing' us to endure the beginnings of the First Order (even though no one cares about the FO). I just can't take when the story is changed to prop up the weak new trilogy.

Other than that, it looks like this show will be amazing.

Offline Brad1981

• Padawan Learner
  • Um...Hello?
Re: The MANDALORIAN
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 09:46:32 AM »
I'm all in for The Mandalorian.  I loved the trailer and am looking forward to the visuals of a post-empire era. What comes to my mind is what I think will run similarly parallel to what the post-Hussein era of Iraq looked like. I'm not going to go into a political dialogue here, but the idea of one government being overthrown while simultaneously trying to usher in a new government is something I am looking forward to seeing in the background of this show and what I really enjoyed most in regard to the Aftermath novels. 

Now, as far as The Mandalorian character himself, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how close to the Mandalorian culture Pedro Pascal's character is from what we've seen in Rebels and TCW. Will the Dark Saber make some sort of appearance?  If so, how?   

As far as subscribing: oh, I'm there...full stop.

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
  • Very, Very English Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 02:44:56 PM »
I'm approaching it with caution. Not because I have that much issue with the new trilogy, Disney, TLJ, or any of the "usual" current fanboy complaints, but because I'm still not quite at peace with what George Lucas did to Mandalorian lore in the Clone Wars.

To clarify: I really liked the Mandalorian culture as fleshed out by Karen Traviss in her novels. the Republic Commando books were some of my favourite parts of the old Legends canon. I did not like it when George Lucas decided to retcon and erase all that to replace it with a planet that's having a political crisis with some odd parallels to 1930s-40s European fascist movements.

I did not exactly enjoy the Mandalorian TCW or Rebels arcs, thanks to that. Begrudgingly, though, I have to admit the Art Deco fanboy in me really enjoyed the artistic decisions the animators took in illustrating the new Mando culture, but that's about all I can say in favour of the new.

That said, I'll still end up watching it. probably not all that legally, though. If anything, I'm more stoked about Kenobi's grand return to the screen than anything.
Better late than never.

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 02:29:46 AM »
I watched it tonight...imo it is worth the Disney+ subscription and is REAL "Star Wars" unlike some recent 'Disney SW'.

Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni deserve praise for being respectful of 'lore' rather than trying to 'kill the past' and there are soo many 'little touches' that demonstrate real Love of Star Wars rather than "post-modernist de-construction" that true fans will appreciate...

...and perhaps the best 'surprise' moment in SW since Vader's in ESB...but I won't 'spoiler' that. Lets just say I had a huge grin when I saw it. :)

Kudos and Bravo to all those behind this great premiere episode...that bodes well for the future.

I can hardly wait for the next episode Friday.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 02:31:29 AM by Onli-Won Kanomi »
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019, 06:56:57 AM »
Given the team involved, I had some hope for this.  Seeing some of the reactions it seems my hope was not misplaced.  Looking forward to checking this out.

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2019, 08:46:22 AM »
I think most fans will not be disappointed once they see this. Indeed, checking this out has given me 'a new hope' ;) for Star Wars after the big let down of TLJ, even if its still under the House of Mouse. Maybe they have learned from those mistakes and The Rise Of Skywalker will be as good as this?
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2019, 08:55:13 AM »
Question for admin/moderators:

Now that this is no longer "speculative" but the real live-action SW series should The Mandalorian get its own section now like The Clone Wars and Rebels have?

Just submitted for your consideration eh?

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2019, 03:39:41 AM »
Episode 2 is up and is also GREAT. This show really respects what GL created and builds on his worldsmithing  by extrapolating and adding to rather than trying to subvert and subtract from Star Wars' rich lore. Once again a nice balance of the familiar (to fans) and what's new - I've got a GOOD feeling about this show and where its going with this storyline; "two thumbs up" from me.

Offline Greenie

• Force User
  • Pew pew!!
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2019, 03:15:37 PM »
This is how to make STAR WARS. Like a Saturday matinee of short chapters leaving you wanting more.
It feels like George had a some influence, either directly or indirectly from Dave Filoni.

When a real fan  that loves Star Wars presents you with a fully written story they WANT to tell, you get The Mandelorian.
As opposed to begging someone till they agree to write and direct a story they have no care for.

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2019, 01:27:47 AM »
Well iirc GL was partly inspired by those old Saturday matinee serials like Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers so perhaps a Friday morning matinee serial form is a kinda appropriate return-to-its-roots for Star Wars eh?

GL consulted with Favreau and Filoni on this...and frankly it shows. And shows even more what some other parts of Disney SW has been sorely lacking; that love of everything we remember so fondly from SW deep mythos that KK and RJ wanted to discard in order to "kill the past".

In the end a simply good story with intriguing characters always trumps weak regurgitive storytelling, mostly uninteresting characters (Finn had great potential in TFAs beginning that has been squandered since), postmodernist deconstruction and unsubtle sociopolitical propagandizing.

Now that GoT's D&D have left SW for Netflix maybe their rumoured Old Republic trilogy should be handed over to F&F instead to do for Revan what they've done with The Mandalorian...get Drew Karpashyn in to consult as GL has here and a KOTOR series by Favreau and Filoni on Disney+ could rock!

"I have spoken" (<- see right there is more memorable dialogue than anything yet in the ST and b*** **** has had better character development without talking at all...in just two episodes). LOL
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 01:29:58 AM by Onli-Won Kanomi »

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
  • Very, Very English Poster
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2019, 08:43:24 AM »
Well, I finally got around to watching both episodes that are out.

I was bored senseless. I was honestly surprised that the episodes were 30 minutes long, they felt at least double that. Haven't been this bored by anything Star Wars since Solo.
Better late than never.

Offline Darth Chasm

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2019, 02:05:41 PM »
I stayed away from all news of this show so I could enjoy without knowing anything. A little shocked and disappointed it is only 30 minute episodes. And only 8 episodes!?

While what I saw was ok i thought it was a bit light on content and a little slow. Hope they are able to put some more into the remaining 6 episodes.

Offline Alexander00

• Force User
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2019, 10:47:05 PM »
My honest assessment of the show:
 It’s really cool. No more. No less.
It’s too early to tell whether or not it’s a “good show” but I’m really enjoying it so far. Definitely a refreshing way to ingest Star Wars.

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2019, 01:29:14 PM »
Well the third episode was really fun and we got to see very interesting aspects of Mandalorian culture as well as that incredibly cool fight scene at the end which showcased a type of combat that had previously been seen only in videogames and animated series not live action. And the new Beskar armour was really great looking too. So far each episode has been better than the last imo and I'm eager to see what's next.

Offline RyDiddy

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2019, 01:44:21 PM »
This is the way

retrousse