fiduciary

Author Topic: Proto Duel RGB/Pixel - the first members of the Proto Saber Platform  (Read 2777 times)

Offline Obi_1

• Board Moderator
  • Experienced Force User
  • Creator of DIYino - first open source FX-board

The first members of the Proto Saber Platform are the

Proto Duel RGB
Proto Duel Pixel

The Proto Duel boards are great, yet affordable saber cores targeting serious duelers who are looking for a robust saber boards with all features needed for duelling, for fathers building sabers for their aspiring little Jedi/Sith looking for an easy to install and even more importantly easy to use board.

As the names imply, the Duel will come in 2 variants, one for in-hilt LED modules and one for Neopixel stripes.

Thanks to a professional Saber Font Artist, Darth PJs, the Proto Boards will come pre-installed with Sound Fonts exclusive to these boards. The Duel will have two of these fonts:
Proto Flash (Light Side themed font)
Proto Dark (Dark Side themed font)

But as a video says more than a thousand written words, I made a short (well, sort of) video to walt through the main features:

Features at a glance:
- 2 sound banks (hum, 4 swing, 4 clash, boot, power on, power off, fontID sounds) - sound fonts exchangable over USB
- comes with 2 professional sound fonts from a saber font artist installed on-board
- option to mute during saber classes
- 16(RGB)/32(Pixel) color profiles for blade and clash colors, selectable per sound font
- single momentary switch operated
- FXs: AudioTracker blade flickering, EasyClash, flash-on-clash

Offline JakeSoft

• Experienced Force User
  • The Arduino Jedi
    • Universal Saber Library
Re: Proto Duel RGB/Pixel - the first members of the Proto Saber Platform
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 06:30:58 PM »
Admins, where's my like button at?!

Nice work, Andras!

Offline Sincenatic

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 06:13:53 AM »
Great work!

Since it says “first members of...” it leaves me curious for new members to the family. Will there be a traditional LED-string option for old-fashioned people like me? (Send me a private message in case you don’t want to reveal it now.  :wink:)

I am planning two LED-strings sabers and was actually considering completely dropping the sound and scrolling effect. The reason is that I only want to use one battery to keep the hilt short and with low weight. Would it be possible to use the Proto Duel RGB for led string, for example, connecting LS1 and LS2 to main string, and use LS3 for flash? How is the flash actually done? Is the idea to change the color, or to leave one unused until a clash occurs?

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 06:45:40 AM »
The clash is a color profile, you should be able to do it with profiles that would light the strings appropriate to your desire: Full LS1, Full LS2 for main, Full LS3 or all full for clash.  That is, so long as the string is within the rating of the MOSFETs driving the channels.

Offline Sincenatic

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 02:07:33 PM »
Good. In the user manual it says that each pin can handle up to 2.4A. For the main string I am considering 128 LEDs at 20mA=2.56A, but split on LS1 and LS2 I would have 1.28A on each. For the flash string I am planning using 64*20mA=1.28A. I would use a resistor for each string, because I assume that Proto Duel does not allow me to change a parameter as in FXsaberOS. Full LS1 and full LS2 for the main string and “all full” for flash sounds good.

Offline JakeSoft

• Experienced Force User
  • The Arduino Jedi
    • Universal Saber Library
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 05:07:02 PM »
Are you planning a run of these through the Trade Federation, or are all sales now through your website?

Offline Obi_1

• Board Moderator
  • Experienced Force User
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 02:35:30 AM »
Good. In the user manual it says that each pin can handle up to 2.4A. For the main string I am considering 128 LEDs at 20mA=2.56A, but split on LS1 and LS2 I would have 1.28A on each. For the flash string I am planning using 64*20mA=1.28A. I would use a resistor for each string, because I assume that Proto Duel does not allow me to change a parameter as in FXsaberOS. Full LS1 and full LS2 for the main string and “all full” for flash sounds good.

William, all depends on the strings you use. For Green and Blue probably you do not Need resistors at all. For Red, yes, you do, similar to RGB.

I'm planning new variants for sure, but it is way too early to reveal more :) only maybe that the Duel is meant to be the new standard in the (not really) budget segment. I in fact prefer to call it a Duel segment, because although the price is budget but the feature set is already in the Duel way more than what is available in the same category elsewhere.

Offline Obi_1

• Board Moderator
  • Experienced Force User
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 02:36:36 AM »
Are you planning a run of these through the Trade Federation, or are all sales now through your website?

I will probably put a few pieces on the Trade Federation, but the bulk I will sell over my website or affiliates.

Offline Obi_1

• Board Moderator
  • Experienced Force User
To celebrate this fine day - after all it's the (un)official Sta Wars day - I put together a short vid showing the highlights of a recent dueling class I participated on.

May the 4th be with you all!

retrousse