fiduciary

Author Topic: Why Obi ? Why?  (Read 6575 times)

Offline KingOfDathomir

• Master Force User
  • Call me... Old Master
Re: Why Obi ? Why?
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2013, 02:10:41 PM »
Great theory's. Since I started the thread I guess I'll give mine. Obi-wan never told Luke Vader was his father. Obi-Wan was one of the very few people still alive that knew Vader WAS his father...........but he knew one day Luke must face him and "strike him down". So, I feel Obi was trying to instill a hatred in Luke toward Vader so when that time came, he would not hesitate.....( stay with me ) first he told Luke " a young Jedi named Darth Vader betrayed and killed your father"... Next in the battle between Obi and Vader, Obi slowly turns and sees Luke watching them fight. Now up to this point Obi has been holding his own with Vader, but when he sees Luke.......when he sees Luke.....I feel he knows, I've already told him Vader killed his father, so if he sees Vader strike me down as well, that will be the final nail in the coffin!! He wanted Luke to see Vader kill him so that hatred would grow, and when that time came.....when the two stood face to face.....lightsabers humming.......Luke would just see the man who killed his father, and his mentor! But that's just my opinion.

How many of you read the line " a young Jedi named Darth Vader........." read it in Alec Guiness's voice?

I wouldn't necessarily call what he instilled in Luke with his death "hate". Hate is not the Jedi way and hate leads to suffering. More like the resolve to do what must be done. He didn't anticipate Luke learning the truth a few years later in the gantry shaft though.

Me too on the Alec Guiness lines, but thats every line from Old Ben, from "hello there" to "run Luke, run" to "the force will be with you... always." Often times I think his to be as powerful, influential, and every bit as iconic as James Earl Jones, Morgan Freeman, or Samuel L. Jackson (at least in his Afro Samurai v.o.'s).

Korbanth Sid
Korbanth MW3
Korbanth DM1 v2014
RomanProps Inception Elite
MR 2005 Anakin ROTS LE
Korbanth Duke
HFFX ANH Darth Vader
SF Luke ROTJ Hero
Korbanth Crossguard
Korbanth Graflex v2.0 (Finn-flex)
AHS w/ Crystal Shard v1
Pachstore Shadowblade (SWR Darksaber)
VyleOne TCW Asajj Ventress (3-D printed, 1:1)
VyleOne TCW Pre-Viszla Darksaber (3-D printed, 1:1)
KR Sabers Kenobi ROTS

Offline sithslayer1

• Master Force User
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2013, 02:41:44 PM »
I love the endless speculations here, lol. My take is that on facing Vader on the first Death Star, Obi Wan was not playing, he was trying to destroy Vader, and couldn't. He was briefly holding his own, but his age and lesser  powers were no match for Vader. Upon seeing Luke, and having the prior knowledge from Yoda on how to preserve his spirit as a "Force Ghost", he knew it was his time, period. He knew that he would be come more powerful by being Luke's spirit guide and to help Luke on the path of becoming a Jedi and helping to revive the Jedi Order. Thus " You can't win, Darth. Strike me down and I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine".

I don't buy that Obi-Wan was trying to instill hatred in Luke towards Vader. He knew Luke was a young, impetuous spirit, who might try to go after Vader and would not be ready. Also, Obi Wan loved Anakin and felt partially responsible for his fall, and tried to distance himself from seeing Vader as Anakin, so he thought of him (Vader) as almost a seperate entity, "more machine now than man, twisted and evil."

« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 02:43:49 PM by sithslayer1 »

Offline nartules

• Master Force User
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2013, 02:43:27 PM »
I don't think Obi was trying to make Luke hate Vader either.  In fact, when I watched the scene initially my first reaction is that Obi-Wan knew he couldn't defeat vader, but that Luke being as honorable as he was, wouldn't leave him to die.

So knowing that Luke was Watching, and knowing he had no more to teach him (Yoda would do that) he only had one option.  If he continued fighting and Luke ran, he would be used as a weapon against the Young apprentice.  Worse case scenario, if Luke didn't run, and tried to help, he might die since he was not ready to confront Vader yet.

So he did the only thing he could, he sacrificed himself, knowing that his death would help bring about the balance of the force.  As a force ghost, he could guide Luke wherever he was in the galaxy, at any time.  He could watch over the lad, as he could not if he were still alive.

His actions were guided by his feelings for Luke, not a need to have Luke hate Vader.  I don't think Vader entered into the decision matter at all, except how he could hurt Luke.

Ben's sacrifice was a powerful gesture and drove home the audiences resolve to root for the rebels, even if their victory seemed hopeless.  Ben Martyred himself.

Time will bring the real end of our trial.  One day they'll be no remnants

retrousse