fiduciary

Author Topic: eFX Luke Skywalker "Reveal" Lightsaber ROTJ - REVIEW *pic heavy*  (Read 31158 times)

Offline Lord Xeno

• Master Force User
  • Sith...they mostly come out at night. Mostly.
eFX Star Wars Luke Skywalker "Reveal" Lightsaber
As seen in Episode VI: Return of the Jedi
Limited Edition No. 0130 of 1000

After seeing several of the reviews posted here on the FX-Sabers forum for eFX's Luke ROTJ Reveal, I've been on the hook for one of these.  After trying to lowball Redford Films on eBay for a week or so (and failing), as luck would have it they were having a 20% off moving sale for all in-stock items, including the Luke Reveal. I ordered my eFX Luke Reveal prop replica from Redford Films earlier this week and it arrived the next day, for $399 and free shipping. After unboxing this masterpiece, I can definitely say it was the deal of the century.

What's in the box

The idea for this prop replica centers around the deleted scene from the beginning of ROTJ, where Luke is constructing his new lightsaber in a cave on Tatooine. You don't actually see the saber in "reveal" mode in the scene, but you can see the inside of the activation box and Luke tooling it.  A very awesome scene that was first premiered at C5 in Orlando, FL.  

eFX pays a grand homage to this legendary scene by including a whole ensemble of goodies with this piece.  The hilt comes protected in a well-appointed  and classy display box with slipcase.  Also included is an adjustable metal display stand with acrylic supports that adjust for displaying the hilt in either "Reveal" mode or the standard hero prop mode.  Other accessories include a special envelope which includes the metallic display plaque, instructions, warranty and registration info, and a nifty storyboard card which serves as the official tribute to the deleted scene from ROTJ.  Inside the storyboard card are stills from the deleted scene, as well as some background information on it.  The certificate of authenticity is also included as part of the card. A very sharp-looking large acrylic and hardwood display base is included which could accommodate an acrylic case (I plan on having one made). Lastly, a small print of "Knight of Passage" by Jerry Vanderstelt is also included as a bonus. It can be framed and displayed next to the saber.

The Lightsaber

eFX did an outstanding job on this hilt, based off of Luke's ROTJ V1 Hero.  They pulled off the first mass-produced electronic static prop replica lightsaber ever, and did a damned fine job at that.  The attention to detail is impressive, as is the seamless design of the "reveal" function.  The only misgiving I have is that the hilt segments are a little loose, but as this is meant as a display piece, that can be overlooked. At the base of the heatsink there are two set screws on opposing sides that can be tightened. This will resolve the majority of the "loose" segments. Tightening these down will prevent the heatsink from being moved at all, a cool plus is you wanted to use this as a belt hanger.  For conversion potential however, that could pose some issues.  I do note in my video review that a sound card and speaker could be added to the hilt just below the activation box. Not sure about a battery however.... So who will be the first to successfully convert one of these? Or at least attempt it?  ;D

In my video review, I demonstrate the Reveal effect and compare the hilt with my FX-Sabers Vintage Graflex-V by Yoda. The two sabers look amazing side-by-side...and for me this is about as good as it gets before I can land an MKVI with crystal chassis.  The crystal chamber in the Luke Reveal doesn't disappoint. It's nowhere near as detailed as the FX-Sabers chamber, but it's a simple design that works, and is very bright. The pulsating effect adds to the aura of the Luke ROTJ and completes eFX's homage to the deleted scene perfectly.

The inner workings of the saber within the heatsink and emitter are very well-detailed.  Everything opens up and closes back up seamlessly and with ease. The activation box contains the PCB, power buttons, and red/green arrow LEDs. The button inside the box turns on the arrow LEDs, while the slide switch on the outside activates the crystal LED.

eFX Reveal compared with MR Elite and LE static props

When compared to the old Master Replicas static props, the eFX "Reveal" is a strong competitor. The main differences aside from the obvious are:

1) The weight: The eFX Reveal is relatively light compared to the solid MR.  Not owning an MR ROTJ static, I can't provide an actual weight comparison, but I do own other MR statics and those things are pretty heavy.  Even the Sidious, my favorite static, is heavier than the eFX Luke Reveal.

2) The "feel" of the prop: Regarding the "feel" while handling the prop, I previously mentioned the segments are somewhat loose, so this means it handles a little differently from a truly solid static prop like an MR or eFX.  However, the Reveal is more useful as a costume accessory than an MR ever could be due to the weight differences. The eFX can also be "locked" by tightening the set screws at the base of the heatsink, as mentioned before.

3) The "esthetics" of the prop: Appearance wise, the eFX Reveal appears to blend the esthetics of the MR Luke ROTJ LE and Elite.  The neck and activation box on the MR LE was more flat, while the Elite was very shiny.  The two had differing tones of copper however. The Elite was more of a gold while the LE tended to more of an orange color. The eFX brings these two together for a shiny more screen accurate appearance.

Master Replicas Luke ROTJ LE

Master Replicas Luke ROTJ Elite

eFX Luke ROTJ Reveal

Overall I gave this saber an A+ rating.  This is the premier prop replica lightsaber so far.  Let's hope eFX continues in this direction!

Video Review:

Comparison with FX-Sabers Vintage Graflex V by Yoda

Video Review:

« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 08:48:03 AM by DarthSid1138 »

Offline scottjua

• Master Force User
    • Scott and Tem Photography
Re: eFX Luke Skywalker "Reveal" Lightsaber ROTJ - REVIEW *pic heavy*
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 11:12:25 PM »
Awesome review!

I'm on board with someone crafty figuring out a soundboard and speaker for this... I would even possibly volunteer mine to be the guinea pig for the right smith. ^_^

Anyway... is yours loose at all? My emitter is pretty loosey goosey, as it the guts reveal/heat sink part. I know you can tighten it a bit with the set screw, but I wouldn't think the tolerances should be this loose...???

Hasbro Darth Vader Removable Blade
OR Qui Gon CFLS w/Makoto Green
MR Luke V2 LE
MR Qui Gon LE
EFX Ahsoka
Real Parts Obi Wan ANH (90%)

Offline C-3P0

• Formerly known as Dave316
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 11:40:26 PM »
Wow, epic review mate for an epic saber! Love all the pics and the comparison!

...I really need to get me one of these 8)

Offline Lord Xeno

• Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 10:36:13 AM »
Thanks guys, it really is awesome.  I agree, I'd really like to see someone take a stab at converting it but wondering if it would be more trouble than it is worth? A real smith would need to chime in here, as I am only an imposter  :D

Edit:

@scottjua   I did some playing around with the saber and you are right -- the two setscrews at the base of the heatsink can be tightened to "lock" the heatsink, preventing it from turning.  Makes sense and lends better to this being a hilt that can be maintenanced, like Luke was appearing to do in the cave on Tatooine.  Anyway I locked mine up pretty tight. Makes a great belt hanger now  ;D

The only other "loose" segment issue would be with the emitter, like you stated.  There is a setscrew in the emitter, but serves no function other than to preserve screen accuracy.  There is a phillips screw down in the emitter hole but I couldn't do anything with it. Don't think that will tighten up the emitter at all.

Anyway, as for conversion potential, I would think an experienced smith could solve any of these "looseness" issues fairly easily...
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 11:22:09 AM by toddshogun »

Offline Scorpion

• Master Force User
  • GET OVER HERE!!!
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 12:37:35 PM »
Great review todd i sure do gotta get one of these at some point...

As for a conversion.. The only available space i see is behind the green crystal so the cramfu artist would need a set of magic tricks to do that lol, although id say its not impossible to do, it would never be a saber for swinging or clashing with i would assume.

If the green crystal was sacrificed mabey it would be doable, im sure someone will crack it

JQ SABERS MASTER ORGUS DIN CFX
JQ/LDM/MH GK3 OBI-WAN KENOBI Proffie
JQ MASTER REPLICAS LE SIDIOUS CONVERSION CS3
JQ~OM AWESOMESAUCE MAUL STAFF DUAL CFv7
LDM MKVI LUKE SKYWALKER ROTJ REVEAL CFv6
JQ SABERS OBI-WAN EP4 ANH (RUSSREP)CSV4
FX SABERS VINTAGE GRAFLEX IV ANH CFv5
FX SABERS VINTAGE GRAFLEX V ESB CFv5
JQ SABERS OBI-WAN REVEAL AOTC CS3.0
JQ~VV STARKILLER #2 RUN1 CFv6 cex
JQ~OM ANAKIN "Skinnyflex" CS3
JQ~TRIDCLOUD ANAKIN AOTC CFv7
SC~VV QUIGON JINN #2 CFv5
OM OBIWAN TPM #2 CFv5
JQ SABERS LUKE ROTJ CFv4
JQ~korbanth DOOKU CS2
JQ~korbanth SIDIOUS CS2
JQ SABERS Kylo Ren CS3
LINK TO MY SABERS

Offline Lord Xeno

• Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 04:03:08 PM »
This bad boy's back on sale at Redford....$434.13 shipped for those who missed the last one.  Happy Friday the 13th

Offline Luis88

• Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 11:32:35 PM »
Fantastic in depth review for both the written and video parts.

I'm really looking forward to getting mine next week. I think you covered everything (and more) todd so i won't be doing a review' i don't think i could top this one :D

Offline Lord Xeno

• Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 11:10:09 AM »
Dude you won't be disappointed.  One thing I forgot to add is the red/green arrow LEDs and Crystal can be illuminated simultaneously. Something that was not apparent to me right away.  ;D

Offline scottjua

• Master Force User
    • Scott and Tem Photography
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 08:37:02 PM »
Dude you won't be disappointed.  One thing I forgot to add is the red/green arrow LEDs and Crystal can be illuminated simultaneously. Something that was not apparent to me right away.  ;D

yup, and now the only way I can turn it on... obsessive compulsive of me I know, but blinking lights are awesome!

Hasbro Darth Vader Removable Blade
OR Qui Gon CFLS w/Makoto Green
MR Luke V2 LE
MR Qui Gon LE
EFX Ahsoka
Real Parts Obi Wan ANH (90%)

Offline Redthumbscrew

• Force User
  • The force is not strong with this one.
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 04:30:43 PM »
I have nb 168 ;D

Offline Andymac84

• Force User
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2013, 05:02:58 AM »
What material have they used on the crystal? glas? resin?
The beginning and end of the quest are defined moments. Between these two points lies a world of strange adventure, wonder and mystery....

Offline Redthumbscrew

• Force User
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2013, 12:43:34 PM »
What material have they used on the crystal? glas? resin?

It's plastic

Offline Andymac84

• Force User
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2013, 11:52:48 AM »
 :-\oh no..
I got this specific saber which is on its way. Hopefully I like it when it arrives........
The beginning and end of the quest are defined moments. Between these two points lies a world of strange adventure, wonder and mystery....

Offline Redthumbscrew

• Force User
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2013, 11:58:52 AM »
You'll love it! It's awesome.  ;)

Offline Romad

• No Force
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2013, 06:20:24 AM »
Saw your review on YouTube and got hooked!!! Picked one up in Tokyo for $80 new in the box. Time to get a Graflex V from Yoda. :-D  thanks for a great review!!!

retrousse