fiduciary

Author Topic: How would you rate ANH?  (Read 34339 times)

Offline DarthYoda

• Experienced Force User
    • Phantom Files
Re: How would you rate ANH?
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2009, 09:40:08 PM »
I gave it a 10 because:

1) First installment of the Star Wars Universe, lightsaber, characters, and so forth.
2) Pioneered a lot of special effects. The effects look darn good, even today.
3) First movie future generations need to start watching first!
4) The only Star Wars movie I would ever lower from a 10 would be Episode 1 because of a couple reasons.

Offline Aurora Skywalker

• Force User
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2009, 09:46:12 PM »
DarthYoda.....  You're right.... all the Star Wars movies really deserve a 10..... I am just too much of a critic and because of a few little inconsistencies that have been noticed, I gave it a 9 instead of a 10..... Compared to most movies I have seen even the great special effects of today, it still does really deserve a 10 tho....considering the advances brought both to the screen and the philosophies shared with the world.

Offline General Veers

• Master Force User
  • I gots BAD frostbite on Hoth.
    • Lightsabers with GV
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2010, 04:52:39 PM »
All the originals get a 10!

Offline nartules

• Master Force User
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2010, 06:20:14 PM »
Really old, post, but I'll chime in.

For when it was released, I would give it a 10

You have to remember that action movies didn't have a lot of fighting in them back in the 70's, unless you were watching a bruce lee movie, but even now the fighting scenes in bruce lee movies, are outdated with the special effects used today.

Rating the original movie, to current movies would be like racing a car with original parts and engine from the 70's against a 2009 Lamborghini, of course the Lamborghini is going to win, but the original star wars movies were ground breaking achievements back in 1977.

Take the recent movie release of Avatar, twenty years from now the movie will be 'old hat' and the special effects that are endearing it to audiences will not seem so special twenty years from now (unless we enter some type of apocalpyse and take a backwards turn in scientific achievements)

I think that the portions of the first movie, dialogue, character interaction, are exactly what are missing from the new movies.  The old movies could use a few things from the new, and the new a few things from the old, and then you would have a '10' for modern times.

If i was just watching the movie for the first time (remember watching it when I was 6 or 7 on vhs - back in 1987) I would probably rate it a 6 because it doesn't seem original, but that would only be because of all the movies that built off the original ideas presented in the film.

Time will bring the real end of our trial.  One day they'll be no remnants

Offline Lord_Mobius

• No Force
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2010, 09:14:25 AM »
I gave it a 7 it was great as the first movie but its not my favorite...

Offline djobitwan7

• Master Force User
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2010, 09:53:02 AM »
I gave this a 9.

Ah, how ANH insipired us all. Hey Ki-Adi. I didn't read this whole thread, but Vader was above "everyone", except the Emperor. When Leia made that leash comment it was because (I believe), Vader didn't mind getting his hands dirty compared to the cowardly Moffs. In the novels they don't exactly say it, but it basically came down to what Palpatine wanted. That comment was also to make Vader mad I'm sure as well.

Palpatine's vision was he rules everyone. Vader had to be second, because he was his apprentice and the rule of two. Grand Admirals could not be touched, because they were all genius's. Moff's were governing their own sectors of the galaxy to keep everyone in-line. So in short.....Vader couldn't just kill someone who annoyed him unless it was necessary.

Because of that frustration though, I think that is why Vader took it out in his own Superstar Destroyer, very well named, Executor.

Offline Jagged Fel

• Experienced Force User
  • "I know lesson one.Don't grab the glowy end."
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2010, 03:16:40 AM »
Where it all started,what more can i say,my Dad took me to see it in the theater when i was 6 and i've been hooked ever since.i give it a solid 9!
Sabers so far:

Luke V2,US 2.5 with crystal chamber(by ALuke123)
MR Vader ESB
MR Luke ESB
MR Luke ROTJ
MR Obi-Wan ROTS
Leia(work in progress)

Offline Lord Bane

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • LB CUSTOM SABERS
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2010, 10:51:04 AM »
Great Movie!!!! Perfect story, great acting!!!!! 10

Offline Zebraman II

• No Force
    • Nova Racing (Forza 3)
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2010, 10:26:33 PM »
I rated it a 7. It wasnt my favourite but it was still pretty good. Come to think of it, it might have been worthy of an 8.

Of the original trilogy, it was my second favourite behind ROTJ.

It is obviously made of crabmeat!!

Offline MaleficusForte

• Force User
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2011, 05:14:48 PM »
I give it a 9. Everyone has to remember it was the first installment of the Star Wars main trilogy and therefore, you cant judge it based on the crappy 10 minute lightsaber duel. I dont think Lucas intended lightsabers to be the focal point of the original trilogy but instead was just a sweet add-on perk of being jedi. The main thing was learning the use of the force and being one with it or whatever philosophical wording is used.

However, I think there was great feedback on the awesomeness of a lightsaber after the creation of the orignal trilogy that a new prequel trilogy was made that focused more on lightsaber duels, which is evident in all 3 prequel trilogies: obi-wan/qui-gon v. maul, gladiator ring of jedis v. badiees, yoda v. emperor, anakin v. obi wan, etc etc.

In conclusion, I think that the original trilogy was titled "Star Wars" therefore had more "star wars." and that the prequel would fall much under the title of "Lightsaber Wars." Come to think of it, the only major space war I can remember is from the Phantom Menace. There could have been more in the other TCW and RoTS, but I dont remember them at all- or did not leave as much a significant impact as it did in the original trilogy. The vice versa goes as well. I remember the space fights a lot better than the lightsaber duels in the original trilogy.

Offline WEDGE ANTILLES

• formerly known as Cobalt60
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • May the LAG be with you
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2011, 06:02:48 PM »
I went on about this in another thread.  examine the first scene:  the rebel ship goes zipping by, and disappears to a speck on the screen;  the star destroyer starts as a speck on the screen, and emerges into view until it fills the entire frame.  in the first ten seconds we are given the relative size of the rebellion vs the empire.  we know who the aggressor is.  we know that the rebellion is shrinking, as the empire grows, to dominate everything.  :o its visual poetry.

enter:Vader.  as a seven year old, in the audience, back in 1977, he scares the living crap out of you. nobody's ever seen a villain like this guy before. he picks up the rebel captain with one hand and breaks his neck.. then demands more victims, 'I want them alive'.  

enter:Leia.  she's like, 5-foot-nothing.  this tiny little petite brunette.  she gets right up in Vader's grill and.. tells him off!  she's not afraid of anything.   as a seven year old, in the audience, back in 1977, you just want to hide behind her skirt and let HER do the talking.  you'll follow her ANYWHERE! (you'll buy the doll, you'll kick the ball, you'll sleep on the sheets).

enter: luke.  he will be your guide through the galaxy far away.  he will ask EVERY stupid question on your behalf.  he will rescue the princess FOR YOU.  :o    

this movie is SOOO well put together, it makes everything else look stoopid.

(( meanwhile, TPM doesn't EVEN have a clear protagonist .  *ahem*  yeah.  "good game, lucasarts"))
"The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story.
Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned, and Luke doesn't get married..."
- George Lucas

Offline Psab Keel

• Master Force User
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2011, 09:10:44 AM »
I whole heartedly agree with you Wedge! 

And for the record, the lightsaber duels in the original trilogy trump ALL the duels in the Prequel trilogy because they were a in internalization of the characters personal struggles.  They had a necessity to the scripts because they were conflicts of a personal nature.  The struggle between master and apprentice and the loss of a friendship.   Vader vs. Obi-wan.  Then the struggle between father and son.  Vader and Luke.

I'd give every single film of the original trilogy a 10.  The writing was strong, though not perfect.  The characters were clearly defined and their motivations were evident.

That opening shot of ANH just says so much without a single line of dialog!  In a few brief seconds we know who is who and how ill equipped and fledgling the Rebel alliance is compared to the Empire. 

Who can forget the moment that Obi-wan gives Luke his father's lightsaber?  All of us being lightsaber fans, we can all agree that the moment Luke hit that switch, we were hooked.  The whole scene is just filled with story telling power!  Obi-wan speaks of the Force.  We learn about the Jedi and how they were betrayed.  Then we get the call to adventure when R2 plays the message from Princess Leia.

There is something to be said for firsts.  A New Hope is the benchmark by which all other Star Wars stories are told. 

Offline Loachri MacTalabh

• No Force
  • "Hello There!"
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2011, 04:53:42 PM »
10...10...10...When I saw Star Wars, (none of this A New Hope business) I was 4yrs old.  My mom said I didn't blink and my jaw was to the floor.  I have been hooked ever since.  There will never be a film that will beat it.

Offline shinrashinra

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2011, 09:53:52 AM »
8 for me, a good one but not the best

Offline KingOfDathomir

• Master Force User
  • Call me... Old Master
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2013, 04:17:22 AM »
Gave it an 8... Nothing to really complain about, but the budget really does all the talking anyways. Empire just simply outdid this film, and it did everything it could to cram as much good as it could. Without a truly modern update to certain parts of it, it just seems somewhat dated now... its how you say "you can polish a turd, but its still a turd"... But its one killer, end all be all Star Wars turd  ;)

Korbanth Sid
Korbanth MW3
Korbanth DM1 v2014
RomanProps Inception Elite
MR 2005 Anakin ROTS LE
Korbanth Duke
HFFX ANH Darth Vader
SF Luke ROTJ Hero
Korbanth Crossguard
Korbanth Graflex v2.0 (Finn-flex)
AHS w/ Crystal Shard v1
Pachstore Shadowblade (SWR Darksaber)
VyleOne TCW Asajj Ventress (3-D printed, 1:1)
VyleOne TCW Pre-Viszla Darksaber (3-D printed, 1:1)
KR Sabers Kenobi ROTS

retrousse