fiduciary

Author Topic: How would you rate AOTC?  (Read 42574 times)

Offline Savior

• No Force
  • He has strong force, but I sense hatred in him.
Re: How would you rate AOTC?
« Reply #105 on: March 09, 2011, 07:34:34 PM »
I gave it a 7 as well because it was good, (because it was star wars of course) but the lightsaber fights weren't as long, they should've made them a little longer. :-\
-Savior- :)

Offline Green Ranger

• Formerly known as Darth Payne
  • Master Force User
« Reply #106 on: March 29, 2011, 10:38:47 PM »
I liked this one. I think Iv'e said this before on another thread, but when it comes time for me to pick out an episode to watch AOTC always seems to the least likely for me to reach for. Don't know why

Offline Loachri MacTalabh

• No Force
  • "Hello There!"
« Reply #107 on: April 24, 2011, 04:29:37 PM »
This one got an 8  The mass lightsaber battle awesome.  However, it was not my favorite.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 04:41:09 PM by Loachri MacTalabh »

Offline EV-9D9

• Master Force User
« Reply #108 on: July 15, 2011, 11:35:04 PM »
ATOTC was great. I really enjoyed being taken all over the galaxy. The only thing that I cannot stand is the arguing dialogue between Obi and Anikin when they first meet Padme and during the speeder chase scene.
-Graflex V Replica - BB W-FoC - by Master Yoda - CF5
-Obi-Wan Kenobi ANH - BRG - Romans Parts Screen Accurate - by scottjua - CF7+CeX
-Obi-Wan Kenobi TPM - BB BB-FoC - OM Screen Accurate - CF5
-Stormtrooper - RGBW - JQSabers - Upgraded by Lord Bane - CF6+CeX
-Ventress (Force Witch) - RGB - Solo's Hold - CF7+CeX

Offline Nero Attoru

• Master Force User
  • Suns of the Force
« Reply #109 on: October 13, 2011, 06:22:51 AM »
Everything about this movie was subpar to me.  I gave it a 5/10 mercifully.  The bad writing, overuse of special effects, and terrible lightsaber fights (not even bringing up the arena scene and C3PO's bad jokes) just bring this movie down.  Anakin's creepy obsession with Padme blossoming into a romance is just so dumb to me, their scenes together don't have a drop of sincerity to them.

Ok I wanna think of something good about this movie... let's see... we saw Mace Windu's awesome purple saber?  Less Jar Jar?  Natalie Portman's midriff?  (redlettermedia fans will get that last one)

Offline Phoenix

• Padawan Learner
  • Zombieland Rule #2: Double Tap
« Reply #110 on: October 13, 2011, 06:37:30 AM »
After TPM, it wasn't until we let our kids watch the Star Wars Saga that I even saw this installment. The only redeeming feature of this (and the other 2 prequels) is that my kids like them. Stiff acting, bad directing. It was just a complete let down.

Offline Artorius Vidnyl

• Force User
  • Suns of the Force
« Reply #111 on: October 14, 2011, 07:39:53 AM »
5/10

This movie is the weakest and least favorite of all for me.  Almost can't even get through the movie any more.  I mostly ignore it when it get's put on.

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality."
―Qui-Gon

Offline Psab Keel

• Master Force User
« Reply #112 on: July 09, 2012, 08:53:54 PM »
Easily the worst Star Wars movie in the series.

Hayden Christensen IS actually a talented actor and he was amazing in Life as a House.  But sadly Lucas didn't provide his actors with a good script that could have allowed someone like Hayden to showcase his talents.  Anakin also was not a good guy and in THIS film especially we should LOVE this guy if we were supposed to really be crushed when he fell.  His fall was supposed to be tragic.  If we don't like him, then the tragedy element would fail completely.  Instead he murders an entire village in rage.  Sure he feels bad about it, all the while spouting an ego maniacal rant about how he's not powerful enough, but it doesn't change the fact that he did it and he blames everyone around him for holding him back when he should be taking a good hard look at himself.  If he attempted to rescue his mother in the Tusken village and was attacked, having no choice but to kill some of them, or be killed himself (self defense) then yes, I would like him a whole lot more.  Especially if he was devastated that he had to take some lives to save his own when he confesses his actions to Padme.  THAT would have been heroic.  Again, it wasn't an element that was entirely removed from what we saw, it's just developed further than Lucas took it.  Thus my consistent argument that he COULD have done a better job with the script if only he didn't rush through them.

I didn't buy the love story.  At all.  It was clear that Anakin was obsessed with Padme and probably lusted after her.  But it wasn't love.  And throughout she treats him like he's just some annoying kid, but then when they are about to enter the arena (and possibly meet their death) she suddenly, inexplicably professes her LOVE for him?  Give me a break!  There is absolutely NO reason why she would love him.  None.  What reason would she have?  Yeah, he saved her from the centipedes.  But her decoy died saving her life.  She didn't fall in love with her decoy for doing that.

The fight scene with Jango and Obi-Wan in the rain was really great though!  Very much in the style of Indiana Jones.  Rough and tumble and hinted that a Jedi could hold their own in hand to hand combat (once both combatants lost their weapons.)

The whole assassination attempt subplot was weak and the fact that the Jedi chose to have Anakin, who is blatantly emotionally attached to Padme, to be the one to guard her?  Are the Jedi really THAT stupid?  And don't feed me that "the dark side clouds everything" non-sense.  Why?  Because without the Force these characters couldn't still have a rational or logical thought cross their minds?  C'mon!

One of my biggest gripes with the new films is the LACK of space battles.  And while ground battles are cool, this one just didn't engage me.  What would have been awesome was to see the Jedi fighting hand to hand combat (as much as I LOVE LOVE LOVE lightsabers) and using the Force to fend off the legions of darkness. 

One really cool episode of the Gendy Tartovsky Clone Wars shows Mace Windu weaponless, defending himself against an entire army of droids.  Completely Badass!  If there was more combat like that, it would have been amazing to watch!

This one just lacked so many things and what it did have was so sparse that for me it was the weakest of the series.  By far.

Offline WEDGE ANTILLES

• formerly known as Cobalt60
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • May the LAG be with you
« Reply #113 on: July 10, 2012, 07:37:13 AM »
even in TPM padme is set up as a replacement for Shmi. when anakin is 'cold' on the ride to coruscant, and padme gives him a blanket, padme is acting in the role of his mother. eventualy, anakin will transfer ALL his "Attachment" for Shmi onto padme. and this will explain the 'too-fast' love story. apparantly, to GL's mind, this ONE scene is enough to establish the connection: anakin uses padme to replace his mother. after this ONE scene, the only relevant bearing on the plot will only come after shmi dies. so really, that's ALL shmi has left to do, in order to fulfill her dramatic purpose: all that's needed from her now, is her death scene. "Freeing" her is not germane to the plot. in fact "freeing" her would actually complicate matters of storytelling... it is FAR more convenient storytelling to just say "watto wouldn't have it" and let her remain in jeopardy SO THAT she can die on tattooine in the next movie, AND fulfill her dramatic purpose.

--> I've said it before, Shmi should have been rescued at the end of TPM (by 'Qui-gons Defiance'), and they could set her up in an apartment on coruscant. the jedi could kidnap her, and take her away from watto.. and there would still be a price on her head (so she's still technically in 'jeopardy'). anakin would (secretly) visit her on coruscant for the next ten years, even though he's technically not allowed to have this 'attachment' by the jedi order. and the price on her head could be so small, that NO bounty hunter would bother to collect it, for 10 years... UNTIL..

until there is a price placed on padme's head as well, for being opposed to the military creation act: now the bounty hunter comes to coruscant to hit two birds with one stone: Shmi is killed on coruscant by jango fett in the opening scene of AOTC and the bounty hunter turns his sights onto padme now. anakin absolutely freaks out, and swears to protect padme, in ways he could not protect his mother. --> now he's transferring his feelings for his mother, onto padme - explicitly. Shmi still dies in AOTC (thus fulfilling her dramatic purpose). and anakin still swears to save padme from the same fate. granted: its not quite as 'convenient', but it makes more sense, and achieves the same dramatic purpose
--> anakin replaces his mother with padme and transfers ALL of his 'attachment' onto HER now.    this explains the too-fast love story, from anakin's POV.

meanwhile, from padme's POV, "you'll always be that little boy I knew on tattooine".  (padme's choice to enter politics has prevented her from having a family like her sister did -- she has maternal instincts, which she transfers onto 'that little boy from tattoone', and this allows her to 'love' him despite his faults, which include murdering an entire village - she forgives him, as a mother would). 
"The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story.
Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned, and Luke doesn't get married..."
- George Lucas

Offline Psab Keel

• Master Force User
« Reply #114 on: July 10, 2012, 06:01:30 PM »
Yeah I would take your version of this sequence of events over what we got.  I think it would have raised the stakes!  Very cool twist on the story.

Offline KingOfDathomir

• Master Force User
  • Call me... Old Master
« Reply #115 on: January 30, 2013, 12:37:04 AM »
I gave this film a 6, tho granted I thought this move was the sheezy-fo-reezy when it came out. Kinda reminiscent of Empire in that there were unlikely lovers, bounty-hunters, dismembered hands... However the acting, dialogue, camera work, and certain parts of the choreography seemed lazy and predictable. Why does Anakin just stand there lazily and let Dooku cut his arm off? Why does Ewan seem to have no enthusiasm when speaking to Dooku while shackled? Why does Dooku and the separatist leaders seem so calm when they realize they have lost Geonosis? And you can't deny that Anakin's initial approach to "picking up" Padme early on is nothing short of "creepy creeper". Now the good parts. Ewan had no problem performing his scene with (freakin' digital characters like) Dex, and later with (sic?)Llama Su and Taun We. You could also really feel the tension between him and Jango when they first meet. NO ONE can deny the emotion Anakin felt when his mother died -- this scene was epic and the score really helps the audience connect with his rage with its chaotic melody that sounds like a bunch of PO'd string instruments suddenly and violently turned on and murdered their respective players. Finally every Star Wars nerds wet-dream-come-true moment when we see Yoda break out his own little midget saber and mop up Dooku all over the place till he's worn ragged and flees the scene like a coward. All in all, the film was a mixed bag, like the guy who gives out health food/pencils/unpopped popcorn/etc. instead of candy on Halloween. So yea, a 6.

Korbanth Sid
Korbanth MW3
Korbanth DM1 v2014
RomanProps Inception Elite
MR 2005 Anakin ROTS LE
Korbanth Duke
HFFX ANH Darth Vader
SF Luke ROTJ Hero
Korbanth Crossguard
Korbanth Graflex v2.0 (Finn-flex)
AHS w/ Crystal Shard v1
Pachstore Shadowblade (SWR Darksaber)
VyleOne TCW Asajj Ventress (3-D printed, 1:1)
VyleOne TCW Pre-Viszla Darksaber (3-D printed, 1:1)
KR Sabers Kenobi ROTS

Offline bombarta

• Master Force User
  • Impressive..... most Impressive!
« Reply #116 on: February 06, 2013, 12:31:06 PM »
just about scraped a 7 for me.

to much green screen again, awful acting again.
still at least yoda looks normal in this 1 lol and you get to see yoda fight at last, thats why it got a 7 and not a 6.
I don't know, i gotta bad feeling about this!

Offline DarkJediKnight

• Master Force User
  • InUmbrisPotestasEst--In the shadows there is power
« Reply #117 on: October 15, 2013, 10:00:47 AM »
I had to think about this one a little bit. I went a bit low and said 5. Probably my least favorite of all. I realize it was more of a love story to show how Anakin and Padme really come together but I was kind of worn a little thin with this one. Good points though were Anakin's character. We finally got to see what he was somewhat like(loved his saber too!). Jar Jar had less dialogue in this one. Thank God! Obi Wan was still great to watch and we also got to see Mace in action along with Jango Fett. Overall though I would have to say this is the weakest of them all.
MR Darth Vader ESB(stock)
MR Darth Vader ESB(converted PC2)                                  
MR Anakin AOTC "Darkside version"(converted CF5)
Yoda Replica Graflex V(CF4)
MR Anakin AOTC(converted PC3)
Hasbro Anakin ROTS(converted PC2)
Parks Replica Graflex ESB/TFA w/glass eye(CF5)

Offline Darth Maledictus

• No Force
  • Saber Staves rule
« Reply #118 on: October 16, 2013, 08:03:43 AM »
Imo, AOTC was the second best movie in the PT. I had issues with the puns regarding the loss of 3P0's head were weak. The look on Windu's face after decapitating Jango was stupid. Hayden Christensen's acting was just as atrocious as the kid that played Anakin in TPM. The only redeeming qualities of the movie were the duel between Yoda and Dooku and Obi-Wan's allusion to the OT by asking Anakin "Why do I get the feeling you're going to be the death of me?". It deserves a 6 imo.

Offline mostwanted

• Padawan Learner
  • I might reply late, I need my sleep ;-P
« Reply #119 on: October 17, 2013, 04:50:47 AM »
I gave it a 10 , I love this movie :D , I don't care about the small flaws,Et cetera
Sold - Quigon jinn Lightsaber

Sold -Korbanth Duke

retrousse