fiduciary

Author Topic: Forming a Saber Club  (Read 12567 times)

Offline Darth Midian

• Experienced Force User
Forming a Saber Club
« on: August 21, 2010, 09:25:08 AM »
I'm looking to start a saber club in my area, & I was just looking for some input on how other saber clubs are ran.  Basic rules, structure, activities, other than dueling.  Right now it's just me & a friend who goof around once a week in my living room, but I would like to organize something that is awesome & a lot of fun.  Any input would be greatly appreciated, Thank you.

Offline gchu149

• Master Force User
  • Now we are cosmic friends forever, ok?
Re: Forming a Saber Club
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 12:23:46 PM »
Oh, I guess I cant help too much with this, as my club is just me and some random guys fighting each other, buy I'll fix that this year.
As for organization, you could set up tournaments or stage combat how competitions.

And as for other activities you can five everyone a try at building a Saber or modding existing ones they may own.

(Oh, and preferably they should eventually own their own sabers if they are reular participants)
de CF
Click the link to view my collection at the very bottom of the page:
http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=20080.msg330140#msg330140

Offline Darth Midian

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 01:26:20 PM »
Right now me & a friend are trying to find a place to hold meetings.  I was thinking about picking up some of those 2 handed nerf swords for people who would want to check it out but don't have a saber.  I like the tournament idea, & saber building.

Offline gchu149

• Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 06:32:29 PM »
My opinion would be to skip the nerf swords and pick up some Ultrasabers. That's what I use, (and apparrently that's all I need).
Just get a few and mess around with those and have some dedicated people buy their own eventually.

(assuming your not using sabers with sound).
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 06:52:37 PM by gchu149 »
de CF

Offline Jm419

• Master Force User
  • Owl Thread Survivor #19
    • The Star Wars Custom Miniature Database
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 06:48:26 PM »
My opinion would be to skip the nerd swords and pick up some Ultrasabers. That's what I use, (and apparrently that's all I need).
Just get a few and mess around with those and have some dedicated people buy their own eventually.

(assuming your not using sabers with sound).

Wait.  What?  I'm pretty sure Ultrasabers would be considered "nerd swords."   :D

I ran a fencing team in high school; we found that drilling balanced with bouting (dueling) made for a balanced practice. 

Another thing you should consider is to require people to purchase their own weapons within a few practices, or something similar to prevent the wear on team equipment.  Just set a limit; say, three practices to try it, then you should buy your own saber. You don't want a bunch of damaged sabers; that way, if the members insist on dueling...vigourously, then they're putting the wear on their own equipment. 

The saber building is an intriguing idea, though.  Of course, if people purchased their own equipment (perhaps even from TCSS...;) ), then they could customize their sabers however they wanted.  You could make it like a Jedi Academy, you know; practice a few times with a training saber, then "graduate" them to "knighthood" and have them build their own saber as part of the "trials."  Could be a lot of fun.

I wanna join the club, lol.  Where are you?  I'm in Minnesota.

Offline gchu149

• Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 06:55:08 PM »
Ohhh, SORRY typo (dumb ipod!!!)

I meant NERF swords. (Notice how the F and D are right next to each other, they shouldn't do that!!!)

But hey, they're both kind of nerdy anyways (and being a nerd is ok, geek is a totally different subject...)
de CF

Offline Jm419

• Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 06:57:16 PM »
Ohhh, SORRY typo (dumb ipod!!!)

I meant NERF swords. (Notice how the F and D are right next to each other, they shouldn't do that!!!)

But hey, they're both kind of nerdy anyways (and being a nerd is ok, geek is a totally different subject...)

Lol, I know, I just thought the typo was too good to pass up.

Btw, I like your personal text.  :D

Offline gchu149

• Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 06:59:43 PM »
Haha, yeah you would know... ;D
de CF

Offline Jm419

• Master Force User
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 07:04:17 PM »
Haha, yeah you would know... ;D
;)

Back on topic; something else I just thought of was purchasing five or six of the grab bag sabers from Ultrasabers for training sabers.  They're cheap, light up, and feel like a lightsaber, so they'd be ideal for the "team" lightsabers.

Offline Darth Midian

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010, 07:10:01 AM »
I really appreciate the feedback.  I was thinking the nerf swords would work, they're cheap, I think they're $12. or $15.  & also would motivate newcomers to purchase or build a saber.  I'll check out the grab bag sabers, but if I go that rout I could build some simple pvc sabers.  I really like the idea of a Jedi Academy & having memebers build their own saber if they already don't have one.  Thank you, these all really good ideas.  I'm in Reynoldsburg Ohio, a suburb of Columbus.

Offline Jm419

• Master Force User
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2010, 08:53:50 AM »
I really appreciate the feedback.  I was thinking the nerf swords would work, they're cheap, I think they're $12. or $15.  & also would motivate newcomers to purchase or build a saber.  I'll check out the grab bag sabers, but if I go that rout I could build some simple pvc sabers.  I really like the idea of a Jedi Academy & having memebers build their own saber if they already don't have one.  Thank you, these all really good ideas.  I'm in Reynoldsburg Ohio, a suburb of Columbus.

The grab bag sabers are only twice as expensive as the nerf - but, like you say, it would motivate people to buy a saber so they wouldn't have to use the nerf swords.

Ah, I'm in MN.  It's in Northern USA, thought there might be a chance there... ;)

Offline Darth Midian

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2010, 03:44:14 PM »
Jm, I know how you feel.  I've been watching all sorts of cool stuff on you tube & bummed none of it is around me.  I know there's a club in Cinnci, but that's about a 2 hour ride.  So I started talking to my friend about forming a club.  We're still discussing things that would like to do, xxx we're still figuring out what we're doing.  So far my thoughts are to find a place to meet, find some people that are interested, get together & see what happens.  I going with the theory of build it & they will come.  If there's members out there who are running or in a club please, your input is greatly appreciated.  Thanks

Offline Darth Maleval

• No Force
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2010, 05:41:20 PM »
I am in the same boat, there is no one within a couple hundred miles of me that does anything with sabers.  I started out by buying a grab bag saber as well, which turned out to be the older style Standard Issue metal saber with a orange/yellow blade.  I would recommend getting the ultra edge blades, since the mid grade is light enough to have some flex in the swings, so you could get a blade flex whip on accident.
I have read enough on here and TCSS to feel very confident building sabers, and actually will be starting on a couple of PVC ones as soon as I am done posting this, so I would recommend studying the how to guides, build a couple to get the wiring and shaping worked out, then teach people how to make a basic PVC saber as part of your regular meetings; if nothing else, this will get interest in people wanting to make their own show sabers and can seriously reduce the cost for people who may have tighter budgets.
I don't really have much support on this, so it boils down to "if it's going to be, it's up to me" in my area, so I am contacting a local dojo to make a deal with trading a few PVC sabers for some sword form training to refresh what I learned when I was younger, then advertising in the local gaming and comic shops about the club as a free membership thing for those interested in SW in our area.  If nothing else I may get a few more people interested in Jedi/Sith costuming for our local 501st and Rebel groups, but with some luck I may end up with some dedicated hobbyists to use as a building point.
Good luck!
Tepp Audama
"Jedi are just indecisive Sith!"

Offline Jm419

• Master Force User
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2010, 05:51:19 PM »
Jm, I know how you feel.  I've been watching all sorts of cool stuff on you tube & bummed none of it is around me.  I know there's a club in Cinnci, but that's about a 2 hour ride.  So I started talking to my friend about forming a club.  We're still discussing things that would like to do, xxx we're still figuring out what we're doing.  So far my thoughts are to find a place to meet, find some people that are interested, get together & see what happens.  I going with the theory of build it & they will come.  If there's members out there who are running or in a club please, your input is greatly appreciated.  Thanks

Lol, I know.  No one in the area, at least for me.  I might be able to set up a club, but there are only like four guys even in the metro area that I know of.

Offline CMCHammer

• No Force
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2010, 10:47:49 PM »
This unfortunately does seem to be a common situation. I am in western PA in between Pittsburgh and Harrisburg, the closest practice location with an existing group is an hr and a half from here. I am in the process of trying to get a group started here. Working on trying to get a few members to have sabers of their own to start out with, would like 4-6 if possible, and then looking at a couple practice sabers. I was looking at the Nerf swords or I had seen Nerf bats used previously in videos. I do like the idea of only allowing so many practices before they must purchase their own saber and of doing an academy based program. I have minimal martial arts and weapons background so I have made an effort to locate friends of mine who have experience to try and help lend knowledge to disciplines that can help in overall member performance. At this point I have found one guy who is a black belt in the military martial arts system the marines use, another friend who is a black belt in Tang Soo Do, and another guy who I am close friends with who was a trained professional wrestler. I thought between all of the beneficial instructional videos, my friends knowledge, and a few strategically scattered trips we could get the group launched and make a lot of progress within a year. I wish you all the best of luck in your endeavors also and look forward to your other ideas and hearing of your success.
CMC Hammer

-Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

Sabers:
US Liberator Battle Staff v2.0
US Overlord

retrousse