fiduciary

Author Topic: Luke ANH dissasembly and conversion (PICTURE HEAVY)  (Read 41401 times)

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Also known as Jay-gon Jinn!
  • JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Your focus determines your reality
Re: Luke ANH dissasembly and conversion (PICTURE HEAVY)
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2009, 04:42:41 PM »
There are no metal blade holders for this conversion,  at least not at this time...it is on the wanted list at TCSS,  though.  What I have done with the stunt sabers I converted to luxeon/p4's was to use a 34"-1" long piece of 1" o.d. polycarbonate to house the lens holder/lens and to act as a blade stop inside the plastic holder.

The parts Caden suggested will work just fine.  I'd use the 8.7 lens though,  it works better in the led holder from TCSS than the 5 deg. does.

I have one picture of a stunt conversion that I did earlier this summer that shows the heatsink mounted inside the blade socket:
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 08:46:32 AM by QUI-GON JINN »

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2009, 04:47:37 PM »
The led will be wired similar to this picture here:

The purple wire in the harness from the blade is the positive for the main led,  the rest are the negative.  The small cylindrical part is the clash sensor,  splice the blue wire from that to the purple wire,  leave the gray one alone.

Here's a schematic of the Luke ANH soundboard:

If I had an ANH Luke to convert,  I'd do a more in depth tutorial,  but I no longer have any.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 04:53:56 PM by QUI-GON JINN »

Offline DarthYoda

• Experienced Force User
    • Phantom Files
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2009, 04:55:26 PM »
What I have done with the stunt sabers I converted to luxeon/p4's was to use a 34"-1" long piece of 1" o.d. polycarbonate to house the lens holder/lens and to act as a blade stop inside the plastic holder.

O.K. I am lost. What is "o.d. polycarbonate"? How does everything mount in side whatever this piece is? I am real sorry I am dence at this. This will be the first time I mod a saber.

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2009, 04:59:48 PM »
What I have done with the stunt sabers I converted to luxeon/p4's was to use a 34"-1" long piece of 1" o.d. polycarbonate to house the lens holder/lens and to act as a blade stop inside the plastic holder.

O.K. I am lost. What is "o.d. polycarbonate"? How does everything mount in side whatever this piece is? I am real sorry I am dence at this. This will be the first time I mod a saber.
O.D.= "outside diameter"....it's basically a piece of a 1" thin-walled blade (meaning the blade has a sidewall thickness of 1/16" for an I.D. or inside diameter of 7/8")....the blades we all use are polycarbonate plastic....y'know,  the stuff safety glasses are made from.

I have a enough pieces here to mock up an led assembly that would fit inside one of these,  let me get my camera and get a few pictures.

Offline The Highwayman

• Formerly known as Caden
  • Master Force User
  • Political Thread Pioneer #1
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2009, 05:17:58 PM »
If I had an ANH Luke to convert,  I'd do a more in depth tutorial,  but I no longer have any.

lol I could send you mine. :D :D Or due ot lack of funds, maybe not. ;D ;D

I've been thinking about converting this thing for a while... Maybe Qui-gon's pics, help they will?

"It's obvious that the price of this game cannot be determined by our knowledge of fair market value, but by our skills with a lightsaber." - Obi-wan (Jedimoves)

Offline DarthYoda

• Experienced Force User
    • Phantom Files
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2009, 05:20:57 PM »
His pics are helping me understand quite a bit! However, I just don't see how it all comes together and mounts in it without being flimbsy and how the blade sits in it. I am a visual/audio learner. If I see and hear directions to a T I can understand.

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2009, 05:39:09 PM »
Okay, here's what I use to make the led housing:

All of these parts can be bought at The Custom Saber Shop,  or TCSS.  See above links please.

Well,  this part you have make yourself:

This is a piece of thin walled polycarbonate blade stock.  It is about 3/4"-7/8" long.  This will house the lens holder and lens assembly.  This can be cut off from the bottom of a piece of blade stock using a plumbing tubing cutter.

This is the led heatsink:

The two nylon screws are sold separately, and will hold the led to the heatsink.  Use some CPU thermal paste on the bottom of the led to help with heat transfer.

This next piece should be inside the saber already:

It is located in the bottom half of the blade holder/socket.  It helps hold the original blade in place.  This will house the led,  lens,  and heatsink assembly.

Attach the led to the heatsink:

Then place the lens holder on top of the led:

Now is a good time to solder leads to the led.  I like to use red for the positive,  and black for the negative. (Not shown....if you can't solder wires to an led,  you shouldn't be attempting to do this conversion yourself!;))

Add the lens:

add the piece of 1" polycarbonate:

This piece if cut off with a tubing cutter,  will have a bit of a rolled edge to it. This will allow it to snap over the screw heads.  Add a line of high-temp hot glue around the inside of the polycarbonate piece to prevent the lens from falling out.  This piece will act as a blade stop as well.  It may be a tight fit inside the blade socket,  so make sure you're ready to install it before attempting to do so.

Insert the heatsink/lens assembly into the white blade support:

I usually use some more high-temp hot glue to secure the bottom of the heatsink to the blade support piece as well.

This piece should fit inside the blade socket as it is,  but you may have to remove a couple of the bottom "rings" on the heatsink to clear the soundboard housing in a sound-equipped conversion.  I also don't think it would be necessary to cut off the blade holder/socket as is shown in the top conversion pictures. 

These conversions require you to re-use the stock blades as they have a slightly smaller opening in the blade socket for TCSS or Ultrasabers blades.  UltraFX blades will,  however,  fit them just fine.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 05:47:52 PM by QUI-GON JINN »

Offline DarthYoda

• Experienced Force User
    • Phantom Files
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2009, 06:55:24 PM »
WOW  :o Thanks! That helped out a great deal! can the same technique be used for all saber fx's or each one different? Also, I see that there are 6 wires for the negative bunched up and 2 are for the positive. Is that right? While messing with led's with game console mods, i had to use resistors. Would I have to do the same for this?

Edit: is there any reason I can't use this? http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/125-Sink-tube-LEDBlade-holder--P269.aspx
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 07:01:29 PM by DarthYoda »

Offline Jm419

• Master Force User
  • Owl Thread Survivor #19
    • The Star Wars Custom Miniature Database
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2009, 07:03:10 PM »
Master Qui-Gon knows these things better than MR does.  You should PM him about these: he's a great help. 

Naturally, other mods are excellent helps too...(Chewie, please don't rip my arms off)...

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2009, 07:05:30 PM »
WOW  :o Thanks! That helped out a great deal! can the same technique be used for all saber fx's or each one different? Also, I see that there are 6 wires for the negative bunched up and 2 are for the positive. Is that right? While messing with led's with game console mods, i had to use resistors. Would I have to do the same for this?
I have only ever used this technique on the Anakin ROTS,  Darth Vader ANH,  and the Luke ANH....I'm not sure if it will work on the other models or not....actually,  after doing a Mace ROTS,  I can safely say it won't on that model.

Edit: is there any reason I can't use this? http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/125-Sink-tube-LEDBlade-holder--P269.aspx
Yes,  because it won't fit.  I've tried it.

Offline Jm419

• Master Force User
  • Owl Thread Survivor #19
    • The Star Wars Custom Miniature Database
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2009, 07:06:45 PM »
Wow.  That only took, what, two and a half minutes?  See?  There you go. 

Offline DarthYoda

• Experienced Force User
    • Phantom Files
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2009, 07:12:18 PM »
ok, that idea is gone. hmmm how does it sit in there without flopping around? how do you mount it in to stay put? btw, I took the saber appart. Was pretty easy to do. I just don't know how to take the blade off that part you said to use, without hurting anything.

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2009, 07:15:11 PM »
ok, that idea is gone. hmmm how does it sit in there without flopping around? how do you mount it in to stay put? btw, I took the saber appart. Was pretty easy to do. I just don't know how to take the blade off that part you said to use, without hurting anything.
How does what sit in where?  The heatsink and led inside the white blade support piece?  The hot glue I mentioned putting on the bottom of he heatsink....glue it to the blade support piece.

The blade should just push right out of the blade support piece.  You have to remove it from that in order to get the clash sensor for the soundboard out of the blade.  Make sure you have removed any and all metal pins from the blade socket before attempting to force the blade out of the socket.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 07:19:29 PM by QUI-GON JINN »

Offline DarthYoda

• Experienced Force User
    • Phantom Files
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2009, 07:19:08 PM »
oh, sorry. I ment, how does the led housing/heatsink, mount in the blade holder without being in there loosely. No pins holding it in place?

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2009, 07:22:51 PM »
oh, sorry. I ment, how does the led housing/heatsink, mount in the blade holder without being in there loosely. No pins holding it in place?
Does your saber have the white plastic piece I showed in the last post with all of the pics?  It should be located inside the bottom of the blade socket.  The heatsink is attached to that, and that should have a retention pin that holds it in place.  (I might be thinking of the Anakin ROTS,  though...it was the last conversion i did like this....)

retrousse