fiduciary

Author Topic: Shtok Neopixel LED connector pcb solder challenge  (Read 2728 times)

Offline scott

• Experienced Force User
  • Oh, I don’t think so.
Shtok Neopixel LED connector pcb solder challenge
« on: December 08, 2019, 11:43:38 AM »
Hi all - I love the idea of the Shtok neo adapter with leds. I picked a few up, but am struggling to get good solder on the tabs. The TCSS neo adapters are like magnets for solder, but struggling with these ones...has anyone else experienced this, and found a good approach?  Thanks in advance for the guidance!

Offline K-2SO

• Killer Droid Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Congratulations! You are being rescued.
Re: Shtok Neopixel LED connector pcb solder challenge
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 11:48:07 AM »
Moved - K-2SO

I find your arguments vague and unconvincing.

Quiet! *Slap* And there’s a fresh one if you mouth off again.

Offline scott

• Experienced Force User
  • Oh, I don’t think so.
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 11:50:04 AM »
Thank you for getting this in the right spot K2S0...I did a cursory search with no results, but didn’t use The while name of the store.

Offline ShtokyD

• Board Moderator
  • Force User
  • whatever
    • My facebook page
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 07:01:20 AM »
Hi all - I love the idea of the Shtok neo adapter with leds. I picked a few up, but am struggling to get good solder on the tabs. The TCSS neo adapters are like magnets for solder, but struggling with these ones...has anyone else experienced this, and found a good approach?  Thanks in advance for the guidance!
Because TCSS connector pcbs traces are thinner. Traces on my connector are thicker for better current transfer and heat dissipation under high current loads, thus require more heat from the solder iron to melt the solder and to make it stick (basic soldering procedure). I use 300-350 deg C for my soldering iron and a big flat iron tip. Also don't forget about a good flux. With proper tools and doing it properly - it's super easy.
Here is a video tutorial:

« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 07:12:21 AM by ShtokyD »

Offline scott

• Experienced Force User
  • Oh, I don’t think so.
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2019, 11:52:57 AM »
Thank you for the reply...I actually found, and watched that video after clicking through the link in your instruction manual!  I dug up my thicker soldering tip and am going to give it another shot...I have been mostly using a very thin tip which definitely looks to be behind my challenge.

Offline scott

• Experienced Force User
  • Oh, I don’t think so.
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2019, 05:24:31 PM »
One more question...I found your manual for your neo adapters, and also picked up your crossguard quillion pcb (I think they are also ShtokCustom.)  The full pcb is pretty close to the quillion ones, with slight differences, and I am pretty sure I can extend the instructions, that said, is there another document specific to the crossguard adapters)?

Thanks again for the great components and the assistance!

Offline ShtokyD

• Board Moderator
  • Force User
  • whatever
    • My facebook page
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2019, 11:55:04 PM »
One more question...I found your manual for your neo adapters, and also picked up your crossguard quillion pcb (I think they are also ShtokCustom.)  The full pcb is pretty close to the quillion ones, with slight differences, and I am pretty sure I can extend the instructions, that said, is there another document specific to the crossguard adapters)?

Thanks again for the great components and the assistance!
Quillon connectors are low current, so they can't be used for the usual full neopixel blades - that's the main difference. Also they are pretty straight forward, so I don't think any documentation needed.

Offline scott

• Experienced Force User
  • Oh, I don’t think so.
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2019, 05:32:34 AM »
I agree...I guess my only real question was if I have that data out come back down one of the quillion strips to the Dout on the board, should/can I wire both hilt side quillion dout lines up to the main blade - this way the quillions can work in either side.  Thanks.

Offline ShtokyD

• Board Moderator
  • Force User
  • whatever
    • My facebook page
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2019, 05:48:07 AM »
I agree...I guess my only real question was if I have that data out come back down one of the quillion strips to the Dout on the board, should/can I wire both hilt side quillion dout lines up to the main blade - this way the quillions can work in either side.  Thanks.
No, you can use only 1 Dout signal to feed the Blade Din pin. Wire as shown in the Plecter manual.

Offline scott

• Experienced Force User
  • Oh, I don’t think so.
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2019, 06:34:27 AM »
10-4...thanks.

retrousse