fiduciary

Author Topic: Covertec Clip or D-Ring  (Read 5835 times)

Offline Unubis

• No Force
  • I Am Sith...💢
    • Unubis's Oracle
Covertec Clip or D-Ring
« on: May 20, 2015, 06:28:25 AM »
I have s saver with a Covertec  system and it works well but I was thinking how does it compare to a d-ring. With the Covertec if you sit down with the saver attached I have to turn the saber as it articulates by spinning, where as I'm assuming the d-ring is completely loose and won't be in the way. But how does it fare to connecting to the clip and are there things about it that's not so good. Also if I get one fitted to my (soon to be ordered) Vaders Vault Dark Havoc, is it easy to swat to a Covertec without extra holes.

Thanks for reading 💢
Peace Is A Lie, There  Is Only PASSION
Through Passion, I Gain STRENGTH
Through Strength, I Gain POWER
Through Power, I Gain Victory
Through Victory, My Chains Are Broken

💢 THE FORCE Shall Free Me 💢

Offline Jules Fortite

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
Re: Covertec Clip or D-Ring
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 06:57:33 AM »
D-Ring for sure.

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 09:25:17 AM »
I generally choose based on the 'historical' era the saber is supposed to represent; if it is representing the saber of a Jedi/Sith from the Prequel Trilogy era then a Covertec is 'standard' for that era...if it is a saber from the Original Trilogy/NJO era then a D-ring is more likely [we haven't really seen enough 'new' sabers from the Sequel Trilogy yet to predict which will be used in most of those movies but I'm guessing it may be D-rings]. Old Republic sabers can be either way since some have D-rings and some Covertec wheels.

Practically speaking the main disadvantage to D-rings ime is that you want to put the hook BEHIND the hip bone for a saber using a d-ring which is not quite as visble for 'cosplay'; if you put it forward the d-ring saber can FLOP around in unpleasant or even painful ways, especially if one is running, and male.  :wink: :huh: :cry:

To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline DarthRaevus

• Master Force User
  • Friendly neighborhood machinist...
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 11:47:08 AM »
Second the above.

As far as swapping the two, it can be tricky.  The covertech knob uses an 8-32 cap screw to secure it.  Typically, will VV, they will install the D-ring in a rather permanent way somewhere else on the hilt (pommel usually).  Of course, you as the consumer could replace a covertech with a d-ring if you could find one that would work in the same way as the knob (being fastened to the hilt with a 8-32 cap screw).  Unfortunately, items like that are difficult to find, the good looking ones anyway. 

I had to machine my own.  I've made two so far that are basically knobs that have a D-ring or Tri-Ring installed and are fastened to the hilt with the same 8-32 cap screw as the covertech.  It looks good (one is even brass) however, the sort of funny thing about D-rings/Tri-rings is that they tend to smack against the hilt unless you have your hand over them which isn't always possible when spinning/dueling.  Some folks, when making period specific sabers (such as OT or the EU now "Legends" era) have installed D-rings and mounted a tiny rare-earth magnet that would secure the D-ring when not being used to suspend the saber from the belt.

Offline FutureSabers

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 09:20:44 PM »
I've used both, Covertec and D-ring.  I can say if you're worried about dropping your Saber more than anything else then use a Covertec.  Whenever I've used a D-ring my Saber ended up on the floor more times than I could count. 
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 07:03:18 AM by FutureSabers »

Offline Katarn KL

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2016, 01:18:20 PM »
D-Rings can look awesome but yest, they're kinda risky, specially with anything that's not a stunt saber.

Offline nihlisimo

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2016, 06:20:50 PM »
As for the D-rings shaking around and rattling, I just cut a thin strip of inner tubing or other rubber material and place it into the d-ring holder. If you think of the TCSS Pommel style 12, the rubber just wraps around the d ring and is then 'sandwiched' in-between the D-ring and its holder when it is screwed down. given that it is rubber, it stays in place and can be trimmed down if it is visible. this would also work for the style of D-ring holder seen on a graflex, as it is just a 'folded over' strip of S/S or Ali.

retrousse