fiduciary

Author Topic: 6.6 v lifepo with cf v5?  (Read 2125 times)

Offline freezer

• No Force
6.6 v lifepo with cf v5?
« on: December 05, 2010, 11:54:50 PM »
Hi there, I read the manual from erv' for the cf  v5 and now Iam a bit confused.
The manual says that I should use a lithium ion battery.
I would use an 6.6v 1100mah LiFePo instead. Is it possible or would there be a problem?
Maybe there is not enough power for the board and the led, or anything else?
Please help me out.
 ::)

Offline gchu149

• Master Force User
  • Now we are cosmic friends forever, ok?
Re: 6.6 v lifepo with cf v5?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 12:09:26 AM »
Cf uses 7.4 volt Li-ion. The board is meant for that specific amount of power.
de CF
Click the link to view my collection at the very bottom of the page:
http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=20080.msg330140#msg330140

Offline erv

• Plecter Labs Inc. "Keeper of the Buttered Toast"
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Irvin PLECTER
    • Plecter Labs - Props Electronics
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 12:14:38 AM »
I believe I already answered that question by email.
6.6V will be too limited, and I recommend using li-ion cells to get a nominal voltage of 7.4V.

Offline freezer

• No Force
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 12:41:19 AM »
Thanks for the quick help ;D the main problem is that I don't know which battery to use
Because I have not enough space in the hilt. The most Li-ion battery are to big so they don't fit.
Do you know some small ones which works with the cf?

@erv' I send you an e-mail on Friday with that question but I don't get an answer? I thought Iam starting to anoy you with my noob questions.
so I decided not to waste more of your time and post it to the forum.
anyway thanks for your help again.

sorry for the bad English I try my best to get better at it.   :-\

Offline erv

• Plecter Labs Inc. "Keeper of the Buttered Toast"
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Irvin PLECTER
    • Plecter Labs - Props Electronics
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 12:58:45 AM »
Freezer, I indeed answered your email shortly after receiving it. You have many li-ion batteries that will fit a saber, like 16340 or 14500.
More awkward size are also available like the 14610 (if I'm correct), same diam as a AA but longer.

Offline freezer

• No Force
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 01:32:17 AM »
Hmm, I searched the web for those batteries but they seem to have only 1000mah max? Is this a problem or will 1000 mah do?

Thanks again.

Offline Juansith

• Master Force User
  • The Leeroy Jenkins of the bidding wars
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 03:25:03 AM »
Im going to give you a example of what happens if you use a 6v total batteries on a CF5, since my graflex is currently running on 3v batteries:
As far as i can tell, the only loss is on the sound, the sound will be as loud as a hasbro fx saber, which compared to my other CF sabers is very low, i cant say if the low voltage also affects the brightness since my P4 looks extremely bright, so my guess is that the low voltage only affects the sound.
There are some 3.7 batteries but you will have to make a choice between v and mAh, and as ive been informed, mAh gives you more run time on your saber, so as far as i can tell is power (v) versus run time (mAh)..
So with 3.7 lit-ion batteries, you will have enough power for led and sound, but 3.7 batteries give you less mAh so the run time is less. On 3v batteries you have around 1400 mAh so your saber will run for about an hour before you need to recharge, but you wont have enough power to have a loud speaker, maybe even a dim led.
Conclusion: you cant have it all.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 03:29:54 AM by Juansith »

Offline freezer

• No Force
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 05:04:18 AM »
Well, this helps me a lot. With shorter runtime I can life.
I found some batteries (3.7v 880 mah) they are unprotected, whatever that means?
So I put 2 together that I've 7.4 v with 880 mah. The next problem that is appearing
To me, were do I get a charger for that kind of battery? I want to leave them in the hilt and use a chargeport
The only stuff that I can find,is that kind I'll have to put the batteries in the chargingstation.

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Also known as Jay-gon Jinn!
  • JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Your focus determines your reality
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 05:24:37 AM »
Li-ion batteries require a protection PCB to prevent over charging and over discharging.  If you have them that say they are unprotectedyou will need to add a protection PCB yourself.

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 05:31:07 AM »
Well, this helps me a lot. With shorter runtime I can life.
I found some batteries (3.7v 880 mah) they are unprotected, whatever that means?
So I put 2 together that I've 7.4 v with 880 mah. The next problem that is appearing
To me, were do I get a charger for that kind of battery? I want to leave them in the hilt and use a chargeport
The only stuff that I can find,is that kind I'll have to put the batteries in the chargingstation.

What Qui Gon said. 

Try these: http://www.lighthound.com/AW-14670-Protected-Rechargeable-Lithium-Battery_p_98.html

They are the same diameter as the ones you found, but slightly longer.  They also have 1100 mah so you can add two together and get 7.4V 1100 mah.  The big advantage to the AW batteries is, that although they are expensive they have a high discharge rate and also their stated values are consistant vs. other brands like Trustfire and Ultrafire that claim certain mah but get 20% less in practice.

Facebook: VVFB

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known as Alex Gordon
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 06:56:25 AM »
that technology (LiFePO)
 is not used very much by the saber community yet... I actually haven't heard anyone say they have used them with sound... your best bet is Li-ion... there are very small li-ion batteries.... the size of camera batteries, so you shouldn't have a problem there

Offline freezer

• No Force
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2010, 07:50:30 AM »
thank you guys for your help. i decided to use the trustfire 18500, they are protected (pcb) and are about 3.7v and 1800mah. think two of them will fit and mach with the cf.
But i have still the problem that i donĀ“t know where i can get the charger for these batteries? ???

would be nice if someone could help me out of this mass. this batteriecrap makes me going crazy  :-\ :-[

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known as Alex Gordon
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2010, 08:28:54 AM »
you can purchase a Li-ion smart charger at TCSS... make sure you wire a recharge port and don't use a spring pack (unreliable connection) and get the proper attachment for the charger... 2.1 mm jack... you will need male for charger and female for your batteries... you will also need some flux for the soldering of the battery pack... good luck to you

retrousse