fiduciary

Author Topic: Dueling Practice  (Read 4854 times)

Offline Flyerfye

• No Force
  • Sup?
Re: Dueling Practice
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2005, 09:55:59 PM »
My first (and so far last) Hasbro saber broke not too long ago... Had that thing for about 10 years now. Man, it sure got some usage. Before the blade shattered into several pieces.

I built a practice saber out of hardware store parts for $15 a month ago, and I feel like it's a passable thing to use to fight with an FX since I only have one. Here it is next to my new ROTS Anakin.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b54/flyerfye/IMG_1245.jpg [nofollow]
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b54/flyerfye/IMG_1244.jpg [nofollow]
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b54/flyerfye/IMG_1242.jpg [nofollow]
Had a few mock battles with my dad, and no damage to either of them yet. The weight is actually about the same as well. It seems sturdy and hard enough not to do vibration damage to the FX, but I can't say I'm an expert on that since I just got my FX today. Also good for practicing moves and duels, so you don't kill your FX if you mess up. If anyone is interested, I could write up how I built this.

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MERIDIAN
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2005, 10:09:47 PM »
I Like your wood practice saber but will warn you that the wood is far more dense than the
polycarbonate of the FX...
You'd have been better off using PVC pipe.. HONESTLY!

The Poly on an FX is only 1/16th thick and I've used a wooden Samurai against one on my
FX and destroyed the blade by Hitting it to hard though I did this on purpouse
"specifically for simulating what will happen when hitting to hard"

You should be careful with what you strike an FX against...
only another FX or your hand is recommended ;)

But if you made Two wooden sabers to practice with, then you'll have them to practice untill you
have two fx's to clash together ;)

So do be careful how hard you hit the FX plastic against a solid tube of wood or any "solid" surface
Trust me...  The Poly carb tubes of FX's may scratch each other, but because they have
the same density properties and deflective action they don't easily damage each other.. but If
you hit against a "solid" tube of wood ot the side of a house or anything that doesnt give at all
then the FX takes all the Hit! and the dent damage will be most noticeable to the inner diffuser
tube, and then it's ruined.

So as I always say, only hit an FX with an FX.

MTFBWY
always
YODA

Offline Flyerfye

• No Force
  • Sup?
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2005, 10:31:01 PM »
Thanks for the advice! :o I'll retrofit my stunt saber with something that has a little more give and a little less weight soon. As well as make a second one for practice dueling. The blades are removable, just for this purpose. My dad has had stage combat training and I've read your previous warnings, so we kept our hits as light as possible, and I don't think the FX took too much damage. I'll lay off though...

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2005, 10:33:21 PM »
go to www.thecustomsabershop.com
there you will find poly tubes to put in your stunt saber ;D ;)

and they don't cost very much :)

Offline Flyerfye

• No Force
  • Sup?
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2005, 10:44:09 PM »
Most impressive! Thanks for the link, I'll see about building an affordable and easy to build practice saber for use against an FX pretty soon.

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2005, 10:54:14 PM »
Glad to be of help...

I'm sure you'll find all you need there, and if you tell Him FX-SABERS sent you
you'll get red carpet treatment ;)

The easiest and safest to first build is an EL type which you could retro fit into the
Sinktube Hilt you already have...

Good Luck and
MTFBWY
always
YODA

retrousse