fiduciary

Author Topic: What 3.7v charger should I use?  (Read 496 times)

Offline scott

• Experienced Force User
  • Oh, I don’t think so.
What 3.7v charger should I use?
« on: March 15, 2020, 07:45:45 PM »
I have been going through posts here, and on other forums, and want to know what the experienced smiths use for charging hardwired 3.7v 15a batteries. My chargers are the basic versions from TCSS, but saw a few posts saying that folks didn’t like those.  I have not had any significant issues, only minor bumps in the road where the charger shows green on a clearly drained battery. Usually disconnecting and reconnecting solves that. Wouldn’t mind a decent one that shows me the current voltage.

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
  • Very, Very English Poster
Re: What 3.7v charger should I use?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 03:30:26 AM »
Well, so far, I've been using two of these Adafruit Micro-Lipo Charger for LiPo/LiIon Batt w/MicroUSB Jack [v1] ID: 1904 - for five years now, with a 2.1mm DC plug soldered to the output. They haven't gone wrong yet, and charge all my sabers up in 2-3hours. I'm primarily an in-hilt LED builder, so I mostly use regular 18650s, but I use them on my one pixel blade saber with no noticeable difference in charging time. They're tiny and powered through USB, so very easily transportable, and usable anywhere there's a USB port, which is pretty much everywhere.

I've also used a TP4056a breakout module (the cheapo kind from ebay/amazon/aliexpress, etc) with little issue, too. They charge faster, but they get very hot in operation.
Better late than never.

Offline scott

• Experienced Force User
  • Oh, I don’t think so.
Re: What 3.7v charger should I use?
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 07:05:28 PM »
I am almost exclusively neo with 3.7 high drain and use the 2.1mm switchcraft recharge ports from TCSS.  Will keep looking for a quality charger, would love one that can report voltage so I don’t need to use my MM. I have not had any material issues with the TCSS charges beyond the previously reported false green light.

Interested if anyone else found a great 2.1mm charger to consider.

retrousse