fiduciary

Author Topic: 3d Printer Kits  (Read 3216 times)

Offline Spiceweasel

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
3d Printer Kits
« on: February 28, 2018, 09:34:44 AM »
I was curious if anyone has purchased a 3D printer kit from Gearbest or Banggood. They seem to be fairly reasonable price wise but I am not sure about the quality of the prints something at that price point would produce. I can stumble my way through Blender easily enough. I just wonder if it would be a worthwhile experiment to try an print my own saber parts. Any thoughts?

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
Re: 3d Printer Kits
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 11:32:14 AM »
Depending on where you live, the variants of the Malyan 200 licensed by Monoprice (the Select Mini) and ProFab are very reliable, inexpensive, and have great community support for upgrades, etc.  I have dreams of a larger machine, but my Monoprice Select Mini can handle just about everything dream up.

Offline Kolgrima

• Force User
  • Never tell me the odds!
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 11:03:19 PM »
I have a Malyan 200 (Monoprice MP Select) and swear by it... it all depends on what you want to do with it though. I mostly use mine for prototyping and small internal parts, if you're looking to print a full Chassis an FDM printer will never reach the quality of SLS (Shapeways) but you can print a simple chassis if you design it right.

Offline Spiceweasel

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 09:43:55 AM »
Wow.. the Malyan 200 looks like a really nice little unit. At the same price point I can get the Anet A8 printer. It is a bare bones unit but can handle larger projects. I thinking I will try that out  and see. At least to have something that can do rougth copies and larger prints. Thanks for your input guys!

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 06:11:39 PM »
No matter what printer you get, there is probably a large facebook group for it.  I strongly recommend joining the group especially if it's your first printer.  You'll find a lot of existing resources, troubleshooting, etc.  There are probably a list of recommended upgrades, some that might be considered absolutely necessary and of immediate priority.  There are also tons of YouTube reviews, watch as many as you can so you know what you are getting into.

The most important thing to know about your new 3D printer, especially if it's a budget model, is that it is not a thing that "just works." It's a machine that requires maintenance, tuning, and periodic repairs.  Any saber building skills you have will immediately translate to useful in this new, equally addictive hobby!

Offline MechXLeon

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2019, 01:10:29 AM »
Now days there's plenty of great kits to buy. Creality CR10 is one and it's great.

Offline cvsickle

• Force User
  • Avid Saber Enthusiast and Build Attempter
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 01:05:05 PM »
Now days there's plenty of great kits to buy. Creality CR10 is one and it's great.

I just got a cr10s and I'm loving it!

retrousse