fiduciary

Author Topic: Radiance Saber (Pic Heavy)  (Read 1999 times)

Offline Kolgrima

• Force User
  • Never tell me the odds!
Radiance Saber (Pic Heavy)
« on: January 27, 2018, 11:40:26 PM »
Since we have a shiny new section for 3D printed stuff I thought I'd post this. It's something I've been working on for a while now. "Radiance" a small padawan saber I want to make for my son who is 8. I started designing it in Fusion 360, while I was working on finishing my tiny workshop, and thought hey I have a 3d printer I could actually print this to see how all the parts work out. so I did...

The Idea is to Machine this hilt after I work out all the details, and you know finish my shop.

here are the quick specs;

5 parts for the empty hilt
8" total length
1.375" OD on the emitter switch and Pommel
1.25" OD / 1" ID on the grip

here are the pics;

I did something crazy for the printed version, I added threads for the blade to be screwed on. I've never seen anyone else do it so I'm pretty sure there is a good reason for that... but I figured what the heck I'll give it a go. I'll most likely change this to a set screw on the bottom just above the shroud. I made the shroud with a lip so I don't need a screw to keep it in place. This also allows me to dial the orientation with the switches should my son change his mind on how he wants them to line up.

The LED holder and emitter are one piece so the heatsink screws directly into the emitter.

My son wants a two button setup but also wants an illuminated switch so I crammed them both into the 1.5" switch section which has a 1" ID. I also wanted to add a simple crystal chamber so I had to cut a notch in the threads to get it all to fit. The LED seen sticking out is an accent LED.

I don't have the bottom section of the crystal chamber printed out yet as I'm working out how I want to attach it to the chassis which I am currently working on.

This is a work in progress so feel free to leave feedback!

Cheers!

Offline Johannes Huber

• Experienced Force User
Re: Radiance Saber (Pic Heavy)
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 10:29:00 AM »
Hi!,

Great work! How do you like fusion360? I work in entertainment with Maya and Zbrush which can do stuff for 3d print quite well but they aren't good for high tolerances. How friendly do you find the interface and the transfer to the 3d printer? Also, I teach a class in 3d at Houston Community College in Houston, would you mind if I showed this page to my students so they can get an idea of all the fun they can have? Let me know. Really great job:) !

Offline Kolgrima

• Force User
  • Never tell me the odds!
Re: Radiance Saber (Pic Heavy)
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 11:22:06 AM »
Hi!,

Great work! How do you like fusion360? I work in entertainment with Maya and Zbrush which can do stuff for 3d print quite well but they aren't good for high tolerances. How friendly do you find the interface and the transfer to the 3d printer? Also, I teach a class in 3d at Houston Community College in Houston, would you mind if I showed this page to my students so they can get an idea of all the fun they can have? Let me know. Really great job:) !

Hey Johannes Thanks, glad you like it! I work in the video game industry as a technical artist so I've used Maya and Zbrush a lot as well. I found Fusion 360 quite easy to pick up, though it is quite different, I have also used other CAD software before as well so that may account for some of the ease in that transition. as far as getting models to print it couldn't be easier you can link Fusion to Cura and send it with a click of a button. That was really just a perk for me the real reason I moved to Fusion was the built-in CAM so I can use it with my CNC machine. Also you are quite welcome to show this post around all you like.

Cheers!

retrousse