fiduciary

Author Topic: C5 - I didn't get to meet many new people...  (Read 5157 times)

Offline ASAJJ VENTRESS

• you think YOU have a bad hair day...
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Simple isn't always easy.
    • Gemini Concepts
C5 - I didn't get to meet many new people...
« on: August 16, 2010, 04:58:48 PM »
(posted here until we can get that C5 section)  (Pics will be posted. eventually.)

So, I was at C5 this weekend, and I didn't get to 'meet' many new people.  Oh sure, I met and talked to the 'Dancing Stormtrooper' (I'm sure he's on Youtube by now), and Morgan - we ALL like Morgan, the Slave Leia at the Hoth bar, but I didn't get to introduce myself to many folks.

Because walking up to Darth Gius, Darth Xanthus & Co., Jango Fett, Han Solo, graphicArtist, CordoroyFog, Ben Kenobi, Ki Adi Mundi, Tim - the Poker Jedi, Vader's Vault, Luke Skywalker, was walking up to people I already knew, people I speak to on a constant basis.  We'd just never been in the same place at the same time before.  I hung out with old friends for the first time. Anikin Skywalker has had the misfortune of knowing me previously, and has accepted the fact that we're friends and he's never getting rid of me.  No matter how much he tries to bribe me!  The people I DID meet:
Slappy - he's been here forever, yet has only posted 2ce.  Lurking and learning - and in my opinion, doing it right!  His mod to his VV saber impressed even them! And with simple tape!
Sharon Fett - Jango's lady.  We got along like a house on fire.  The poor firemen that followed us around all weekend...
Erik - the Drunk Dude from Seattle - Ki, you brought the perfect accessory for the weekend!
the Dancing Stormtrooper we were hanging out after the Robot Chicken panel, and he was so sweet and down to earth.
Morgan - the Slave Leia in the Hoth Bar. We like Morgan.  She was wonderful, and hung out with us and chatted with us while the people she came with sat off to one side. 
the lovely Mrs. Fog, Mrs. Kenobi, Ben's Sister Linda - they're not saber geeks (yet) but their love of their husbands' hobbies showed through. 

I got in on Thursday night, just in time to meet up with Darth Xanthus and crew.  On the way out we were in a parking lot, showing off our shinies when a woman walks up to us and says, "Is there a Star Wars Convention in town? Because my son LOVES those light sabers"  Sharon and I deadpan, "No ma'am."  I kinda felt bad, but honestly, you couldn't NOT know with all the banners, and ads and discounts and radio ads and Jedi and Sith walking the streets of Orlando.

Afterwards we went back to Jango's suite for a little get together.  Han's new saber got named, I got to show off Sonata in the fle-, meta-, *sigh* in person.  Darth Gius held it, and it disappeared in his hand.  I use a two handed grip on her, and she looked like a Lego piece in their hands.  Oh the spinning! Oh the saber-geeking! Oh the time!  We went back to our hotel rooms early - the next morning.  Time does so fly when you get a bunch of saber geeks in the same room.

Friday was the Mark Hamill panel, the Robot Chicken panel, lots of things to see! Lots of things to buy!  Those that could, did dress up.  Remind me again why I thought it a good idea to wear a leather war apron, spandex pants, suede boots and wool cape to Orlando in August?  More gatherings, more saber geeking.

For everything you gain, you lose something else.

How "Freedom of Speech" works:  you have the freedom to say whatever you want, BUT you also have the freedom to suffer the consequences

Dream Big, Build Bigger.

Offline GraphicArtist

• Force User
Re: C5 - I didn't get to meet many new people...
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 06:29:11 PM »
Remind me again why I thought it a good idea to wear a leather war apron, spandex pants, suede boots and wool cape to Orlando in August? 

What, you mean aside from impressing the boys?   ;)  Because that's the one place that you can do it and not have people stare at you like you're out of your mind.  (You can get away with it at WalMart after midnight, but that gets so boring.)

They really should have these things further North in late Fall or early Spring.
Most children were shaped and molded,
I was warped and twisted.

Offline ASAJJ VENTRESS

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Gemini Concepts
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 06:53:11 PM »
um. Have you met Morgan? and that chick with the corset made from vintage Star Wars bedsheets?

Anyway, I'll have my pics and the second half of my post up later. OK, soonly later.

How "Freedom of Speech" works:  you have the freedom to say whatever you want, BUT you also have the freedom to suffer the consequences

Dream Big, Build Bigger.

Offline DARTH MAUL

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • At last we shall have our revenge....
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 08:32:51 PM »
Lol, I agree Barriss. I did talk to some random folks and told them to check us out here, but not to the level of even knowing names. Though feel it was time very well spent hanging with all of you guys there and can't wait to get another chance to again.

At least you can say you made it the whole day in that costume...I went a whole two hours and after my Mark Hamill picture it was shed like a snake molting its skin on the way to see Ray Park lol.

I did get to hear the epic squeaking! Your right that sonata did look like a tooth pick in my hands, but I have really big hands lol. Its all in what you like and that was apparent in the vast differences in what we all had with us. I really wish I could have brought a lot more and next time we do I hope to do that.

And yes we LOVE Morgan..oh yeah like those other ones too (goes back to Morgan) lol.

Offline ASAJJ VENTRESS

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Gemini Concepts
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 12:20:35 PM »
Yes, not so much of a presence there did we have...  :'(  But I kinda like flying under the radar.  have to admit though, Loved C5, LOVED hangin' with ya'll, but judging by how much time was spent hanginging out in parking lots and hotel rooms, we need to get a saber-centric shindig going.  I REALLY wanted to hang and chat and compare shinies rather than kicking you out of my room(honest!) or falling asleep on Ani's shoulder, but conning is HARD WORK!!!!

We gotta do it right next time.  None of those silly distractions like Jango Fettes, or Slave Leias, or dancing Stormtroopers.... well, ok, we'll bring Morgan!   :D

Dream Big, Build Bigger.

Offline Caine

• Kwai Chang Caine master of duel-fu
  • Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 01:16:26 PM »
Hmmm...I smell another California saber peeps meet up coming... ;)

Offline nartules

• Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 01:41:50 PM »
Hmmm...I smell another California saber peeps meet up coming... ;)

Saber con 2010! lol :)...no seriously if it was in california I would come...

Time will bring the real end of our trial.  One day they'll be no remnants

Offline Forcestruck

• Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 02:24:48 PM »
How about somewhere more centrally located? If not, flights to vegas are cheap from pretty much anywhere in the US.

Offline DARTH MAUL

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • At last we shall have our revenge....
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 02:33:37 PM »
I'd go about anywhere within reason for a saber meetup. Maybe start with one and move them around for those less willing to travel to make it near the one they are near. I'm smack dab in the middle of the US so everywhere but here is about the same to me. Never been to Florida before last week and never been to Cali before either actually.

Barriss - if you get Morgan to come your my new best friend lol.

retrousse