fiduciary

Author Topic: Converting soundfont from Plecter to Polaris  (Read 1729 times)

Offline Seith

• No Force
  • Hello :)
Converting soundfont from Plecter to Polaris
« on: June 01, 2016, 08:22:17 AM »
Hey guys, I am currently trying to figure out the way to convert some of my soundfont to work on other boards like the one from LamaDiLuce.

I bought them on saberfonts, and for plecter boards (I have only those).
The Polaris specs are the same as Plecter :

22050Hz and 16bit .wav files in mono (so I don't have to convert them to match those values)

I did not tried with a NEC soundfont.

I imported on the Polaris the swings and clashes, no problem, they can be read without any trouble (even if we can hear a small "clic" sound after the sound has been played.
Their hum needs to be shorter in size, so I cut it under audacity and re-export, my settings are the same as TheBaconWizard said (Audacity Tutorial: formatting for saber sounds (picture heavy)).
When the hum starts to play, no issue, but near the end, I can hear super loud crackling and parasite noises.

Here is a video of one of my tests : https://www.dropbox.com/s/6w6e4rozma2m5yh/20160528_194545.mp4?dl=0
The clics are not loud, but I had much louder in the past.

I did the following tests :

1- Re-exporting the Original Polaris Audio hum via Audacity or Premiere pro without any change done to the audio file : file is working, no crackling nor parasite at the end.
=> So the software encoding is not the issue ?
2 - The audio level...I saw that some speakers does not like to have a file played with different level than the following, so I cut the beginning and ending of the Polaris Hum and added it around my Hum (Temple Guard btw). Still cracking at the end.
3 - I tried to copy the waveform, by exporting both my Hum and the polaris one into one single audio file with the Polaris hum very low. The waveform was very close to the original polaris sound (I could see that in the Polaris software) but yet there were parasites (short, and regular, but still annoying)
4 - I tried to lower the audio of the Original Polaris Hum, and exported it on the saber : parasites again.

So now, I think there is something about the waveform and audio level...I searched the forum and saw this thread : Why is audacity hiding errors from me?
erv said :
"audacity will use a bit of smart fade in / out at the end of the loop, hiding defects. While it can smooth a bit a non proper looping sound, it won't solve a spectral rupture between the end and the beginning of the sound. That's why you can sometimes try to get a perfect hum but you cannot due to the nature of the sound / loop point selection."
I tried with Premiere Pro too, and got the crackling sound too. But can this be caused by a "spectral rupture" and if yes, how can I possibly correct such a thing ?

Thanks guys !

Offline lux

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
Re: Converting soundfont from Plecter to Polaris
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 02:54:44 AM »
Well i dont even know how to use the polaris software.. Think ive completely buuggered my polaris now :( Ive lost all the original sound fonts and cant upload new ones!!! Help?

Offline Darth Xusia

• Master Force User
  • "quit cher whinin' and just build some sabers"
Re: Converting soundfont from Plecter to Polaris
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 07:01:18 AM »
Are you trying to blend the stock font with a font that you purchased from Saberfont.com?
I'm not familiar with the board or its software so I can't help much there. Does it use a SD card?
Thank you Photobucket for the best Sig ever!

retrousse