fiduciary

Author Topic: Jay-gon's MHS ROTS-ish  (Read 2415 times)

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Also known as Jay-gon Jinn!
  • JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Your focus determines your reality
Jay-gon's MHS ROTS-ish
« on: June 21, 2017, 02:04:21 PM »
This is a saber that has been in the works,  or planning stages for quite awhile for me. The project got started about 5 or 6 years ago when a friend of mine in the 501st Legion told me he was going to be doing an Anakin ROTS costume for membership in the Rebel Legion,  and also in the 501st as Darth Vader.  I originally thought it would be fun to get him a Graflex replica,  one of YODA's chassis,  and make it into a close approximation of the ROTS saber.  The other option was to get some MHS parts and try and make something a close as well. Both options were to have a reveal chassis,  and I thought it would be a fun challenge to do the MHS version instead.  It was a challenge, but not exactly fun,  as reveal chassis are not my specialty.  Now,  over the years, the project got back-burnered by either the owner,  or myself for personal reasons,  so it took a lot longer than I originally planned on.

This was also being done on a budget, and he has traded in his old Parks Rogue saber that I converted and sold off last year or the year before,  which covered all of the parts cost for this one.  So,  with that all said,  here is my take on the ROTS ANi saber,  the MHS ANI ROTS-ish:

The saber is powered by an 18500 Li-ion cell from TCSS and features a Crystal Shard 3.0 sound board.  The 5mm led lighting the crystal is an RGB common anode and is wired parallel to the main blade's Cree XPE2 RGB, so it mimics the blade functions and colors:

Since this an Anakin styled saber, I thought it would be best to have several shades of blue/cyan on it.

Here's where the crystal doesn't quite match the blade color:

Orange blade,  yellow crystal.

Yellow blade:

Lime-green crystal.  all of the other colors match up pretty much spot-on.

Another blue blade:

Assorted build pictures:

YouTube video:

Special thanks to CHEWBACCA,  eastern57,  Obi-dar, and LDM/GENERAL GRIEVOUS for the assistance with parts, ideas,  and encouragement! I couldn't have finished this one without your guys' help!

This one will be hand delivered to it's owner this weekend!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 02:17:41 PM by QUI-GON JINN »

Offline Akaius

• Experienced Force User
Re: Jay-gon's MHS ROTS-ish
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 07:29:57 PM »
Great work!  :cool:

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 07:23:20 AM »
Good luck on the handoff this weekend. I'm sure he will love it. Long time coming but this is a Master's saber! Well done

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Also known as Jay-gon Jinn!
  • JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Your focus determines your reality
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 10:38:25 AM »
Thanks guys! I'm glad to have this one off the to do list so I can move on to some other projects.

Offline Darth PJs

• Force User
  • Don't Question R2-D2's street cred!
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 10:30:22 AM »
That is an awesome saber!!!  Totally jelly!

retrousse