fiduciary

Author Topic: QUI-GON JINN's Chrome Saber 39 (CS-39) Build  (Read 12178 times)

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Also known as Jay-gon Jinn!
  • JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Your focus determines your reality
QUI-GON JINN's Chrome Saber 39 (CS-39) Build
« on: March 13, 2012, 09:10:07 AM »
I started work on this one a few months ago,  and had some time this weekend to work on it while awaiting parts from the TCSS for the CS-15 refit.  This is what I started with:

After having some really warm weather this weekend, and for the rest of the week it seems,  I got out to the garage and did some paintin' & bakin':

There's still much to be done on the sleeve....I have to figure out what I want on it in terms of grip slots.  I'm thinking of doing some fairly large slots on this one,  something just right for fingers to rest in.

The switch is currently a blue ring style,  but it can obviously be changed.  Electronics for this one are still undecided....I have a PCv1.6 that could go in it,  or a CFv5.1

Blade color has not yet been decided either.  
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 08:35:42 PM by QUI-GON JINN »

Offline Simpi-Gon Sims

• "I'll bring the popcorn"
  • Master Force User
    • Simpi Sabers
Re: QUI-GON JINN's Chrome Saber 39 (CS-39) Build
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 09:40:12 AM »
Nice job on letting some of the black come through around the box. I like!
"It's not broken, it's a feature."

Offline Fallen_Jedi_EDiT

• Force User
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 09:06:47 PM »
Wow i like how this one is coming along. Simple and clean looks very spinnable! especially around the choke area like that a lot!

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 08:56:31 AM »
I'll get this one finished after I complete the rework on CS-15,  and it is looking like this saber will have a PC 2.0 with full R.I.C.E. support.  Along with a TCSS 14500 Li-Ion battery pack with the JST connector,  so extra packs can be ordered directly from TCSS.  ;)

Offline RoHan Solo

• Force User
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 11:48:04 PM »
Looking like a gorgeous saber so far! Love the control box area. This design would also look really nice with a QGJ style emitter.

Offline Knighthammer

• Force User
    • Tapani Order SW TOR Guild
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 10:31:39 AM »
Really liking this one Qui-Gon Jinn. Simple, but a nice layout.
Yub Yub Commander
Star Wars the Old Republic Guild - Tapani Order

Offline The_Night

• Master Force User
  • "I have become your Nightmare"
    • Prestige Sabers
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 10:40:58 AM »
I agree this one looks really sweet. Maybe some cs-x style grips at the back would look cool. :)
MR Vader ESB
MR Maul Staff- Converted
MFX Starkiller
KOTOR Clan Sabers

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 09:16:22 AM »
I began cutting the grip slots in the sleeve for this one today,  here's what I got done:

I masked off where I wanted them. These will be about 1/4" wide and centered about 1/2" apart,  leaving around 3/8" in between them.

I'll start them like usual,  by drilling 1/4" holes in the drill press:

After drilling the holes,  I switched to the Dremel rotary tool and a cut off wheel:

I would normally use a reinforced wheel,  but I am currently out of them,  so I used a heavy duty style instead.  It made it through cutting these grips,  but that's about all I'll get out of his one,  I think:

The grips slots,  still rough finished:

I spent about an hour filing these by hand and got them presentable:

They still need to be hand sanded with some fine grit paper,  but I'll do that when I sand and polish the sleeve itself.

I ran a cylinder hone through the sleeve to de-burr the inside of the slots and test fit:

I can see I'll have to repaint the 5" extension already....oh well,  that's not that hard to do.

Now I just need to do something on the bottom:

I really don't want to use the same size grips on the bottom,  but it might look more uniform that way....I'd like to do something larger,  just to make it more comfortable to hold.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 09:18:30 AM by QUI-GON JINN »

Offline Fallen_Jedi_EDiT

• Force User
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 03:35:38 PM »
I like seeing how the progress of this saber is coming along. I dig your style Qui-GON JINN!

Offline Subvirtua

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 04:20:45 PM »
It's nice to see the process. It had never even occurred to me to drill holes either end before cutting out grip slots to get that nice rounded shape. That will save me some considerable time manual filing. 

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 09:23:01 AM »
It's nice to see the process. It had never even occurred to me to drill holes either end before cutting out grip slots to get that nice rounded shape. That will save me some considerable time manual filing. 
If you really want to see the process,  look in my YouTube videos (http://www.youtube.com/user/JaygonJinn) for the videos titled "Jay-gon Jinn's Chrome Saber 21 (CS-21) Video Build Log."  You could also go through the Mining Colony and read all of the topics I have posted.  I pretty much cover the construction of nearly every saber here,  from start to finish.  I have no trade secrets,  so it's all out there for you to learn if you want to.

Back to the saber....I decided to make a small change with it.  I'm replacing the TCSS box style 9 with a style 17 instead:

This will free up space in the ribbed extension and make it easier to access the SD card on the PC 2.0 that will be going into this hilt.  I'll move the recharge port to the bottom along with the R.I.C.E. port:

I'll mount them using my trusty pvc C-Clip method:

The only problem I may have is clearance with the activation switch. The tabs on both the recharge port and the switch will likely be close enough to touch other.  I'll have to bend the tabs on the recharge port in order to clear the switch.  but I've done that before,  and it shouldn't be an issue.  This will also make it unnecessary to open the saber up except to change the soundfont,  and possibly the battery pack.

I have also  begun laying out the rest of the grip slots:

I'm going to try to align the bottom slots as best I can with the top ones.  Drilling and cutting coming up tomorrow.

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 10:25:13 AM »
Finished the drilling/cutting/filing/sanding of the grip slots today:

They're a little wider than the top ones,  but I think it'll do.  The fact that they aren't perfectly aligned and the exact same width lends to the idea that it is hand-crafted by the Jedi that built it.  ;)

A few more looks at the grip slots:

Now for the fun pictures....these will give a pretty good indication of what the finished saber will look like:

With all of the test fitting I've done,  the paint on the 5" extension is basically destroyed,  so I sanded it all off with 80 grit paper,  then hit it with 200 followed by 400 and it will get repainted tomorrow. 

I finished the sleeve by also sanding it with some 400,  800,  then 1000 grit paper and polished with Mother's Aluminum and Mag polish compound:

It a few nicks and small gouges in it still,   but that will also enhance the saber's character.  It will look like it has been used,  but was also meticulously maintained,  as I feel a Jedi would since "this weapon is your life."  ;D

Next up: repainting the 5" extension,  epoxying the ring to the v-grooved extension,  and then wiring/final assembly can begin.

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 10:18:57 AM »
finished repainting the 5" extension,  and the new switch box from TCSS arrived today as well. 

Sneak peek,  fully assembled:

One little bad spot in the paint,  near the pommel edge:

It touched the bench top while I was loading the part on the drying rack I made for use in the toaster oven while the paint was still tacky.  It'll have to stay,  since the rest of it turned out very nice.

I also drilled the extension for the auxiliary sound holes:

These will allow sound to vent underneath the shroud,  and be completely hidden as well.

Next up,  making the recharge & R.I.C.E. ports mount.

Offline Fallen_Jedi_EDiT

• Force User
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2012, 01:40:37 PM »
Neat trick with the sound holes. I like your postings QGJ especially how you share your tips and tricks for sure when i go into building my first saber ill back reference your posts!

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2012, 09:58:52 PM »
Finished making the c-clip mount for the recharge port and R.I.C.E. port:

Test fitting:

Looks good,  now to see how well the cables plug in:

The charge plug fits nice and snug into the port,  but the port is a bit a loose due to the c-clip being cut just a tad too short to have significant pressure on the clip against the side of the main switch.  Looks like I cut it just a tad too much.  It should still work,  though.  I'll check it before I finish assembling the whole hilt and replace it  or find some other way to tighten it up in between now and then.

I also checked the R.I.C.E. cable's 3.5mm plug fit:

It plugged right in with a nice snug fit.  This work out well,  and keep the ports out of the way when handling the saber.

Now I can start on wiring and assembly next week,  likely on Monday morning.

retrousse