fiduciary

Author Topic: QUI-GON JINN's Chrome Saber 31(CS-31) Build for Jedi Exile  (Read 17842 times)

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Also known as Jay-gon Jinn!
  • JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Your focus determines your reality
Re: QUI-GON JINN's Chrome Saber 31(CS-31) Build for Jedi Exile
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2010, 09:36:16 AM »
Well,  I made up a new speaker module,  but with the speaker on the other side,  it moves the battery pack just far enough further into the hilt that it is just s midge too close to the recharge port for it to fit properly....I could cram it in there,  but then we open the possibility of problems down the road.

Here's what it looked like:

I used a sanding drum on the rotary tool to carve out a recessed edge for the speaker to sit in.

The speaker should now drop in like this:

Not bad...

Now to make the pass-throughs for the wires:

I slipped a piece of wire through them and checked the fit with the pommel:

This might just work:

It looked like there might still be a chance that the wires could get pinched by the pommel,  so I cut new channels for the wires at an angle across the the edge of the mount:

That left the top of the mount a solid surface to protect the wires.  I think would work.....on a different saber.  I'm not sure how I would go about actually installing the led in the pommel insert.  I don't have the correct tap for the threads on the housing,  so I'd have to use the nut to attach it.  Tightening it could be a problem.

It looks like the best place for the low bat led is going to be on the side of the hilt near the switch box.  It'll be easier to see it as well,  I think.  The only question is,  which side?  The right or the left? 

The right side:

The left side:

I'm thinking the left side,  because if you hold the saber in a two-handed,  right-over-left grip,  that would put it near eye level,  depending on how high you're holding it.

Offline Forgetful Jedi Knight

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • The old Jedi Master also commonly known as FJK
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2010, 11:19:37 AM »
When I did mine, I did it on the left side. Though the LED was originally designed to be a low LED, Erv' informed me that when he upgraded my boards, The low battery function was sacrificed. :(

May the force be with you all!

Remember... speak softly and carry a well constructed light saber! :)

How "Freedom of Speech" works:  you have the freedom to say whatever you want, BUT you also have the freedom to suffer whatever consequences your actions or words dictate

Offline Jedi Exile

• Experienced Force User
  • I once wore the robes...
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2010, 03:38:17 PM »
I held the Nomad 2.0 just now and you're right, the left side is definitely the way to go.
Member of the Lost 10

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2010, 08:32:23 AM »
Okay,  with the location decided upon for the low battery indicator,  I set it up in the drill press to drill the hole for the led:

After test fitting the led,  I decided it needed to be a bit more flush mounted,  so I looked through my drill bits and found one that was about the same diameter as the led's bezel...about 21/64th's,  and counter drilled the hole:

The counter bore was a little tight,  so I used the rotary tool to deburr and chamfer the hole a bit more,  and went a little too far in one spot...now the brass is really showing right there....but the led is nice and flush with the outside of the hilt.

This is one of those times I really wish I had a mini-milling machine....counter sinking that led bezel would be a breeze with the correct bit.

There's plenty of room for it right there in the middle of the switch box area:

That looks about as good as I can get it,  so I'll move on to the battery.

The first thing I did was solder leads to the positive of one battery,  and the negative to the other.  These are a real pain to solder to on the positive pole.  I really wish they were available with tabs for soldering to.  I added a another lead to the negative end of the front battery to act as the common lead for the pcb and began soldering everything up:

With all of the connections finished,  I taped them together using packaging tape then slipped a piece of heatshrink tubing over the assembled battery pack,  and used a hair dryer to shrink it tight after covering both ends with non-conductive material:

with it fully assembled,  and tested for fit,  I charged it up:

When it was all finished,  it was putting out a perfect 8.2 volts.

Now I think I can start on wiring this saber up.....I'd like to get it mostly complete this weekend,  but with the holiday tomorrow,  and other family plans for the weekend,  time may be short for working on this.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 09:58:03 PM by QUI-GON JINN »

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2010, 09:03:53 PM »
I got some work done to this saber yesterday,  but the battery in my camera was dead,  so very few pictures got taken....suffice it to say,  it is half wired....just need to install the CF board.  ;)

Offline Jedi Exile

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2010, 06:25:34 AM »
Whoo-Hoo!! Halfway home, come the rest of the way to papa!
Member of the Lost 10

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2010, 04:30:07 PM »
I managed to get the saber wired up this morning.  There is currently an issue with it not killing power when the kill key is inserted,  but I can safely say there shouldn't be any issues with sound volume.  Pics to come later tonight.

Offline Jedi Exile

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2010, 04:34:51 PM »
I managed to get the saber wired up this morning.  There is currently an issue with it not killing power when the kill key is inserted,  but I can safely say there shouldn't be any issues with sound volume.  Pics to come later tonight.

Great to know about the sound. As for the kill key issue, what do you think could be causing it?
Member of the Lost 10

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2010, 09:28:52 PM »
It's most likely the recharge port,  but I'll check a couple of other things too.

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
  • Romans 3:20-26 As simple as it gets.
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2010, 09:33:38 PM »
Dude, that saber's looking awesome.  Exile you're gonna love this saber.

Another great build master Qui Gon.  ;D

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2010, 09:19:11 AM »
Okay,  so here's the pictures I mentioned last night....I was going to post them before bed,  but got home from work with a splitting headache,  and just sat on the couch and watched reruns of Transformers and G.I. Joe on the Hub  instead.  ;)

I assembled the pommel and insert after wiring up and installing the speaker:

I wired up everything on the switch box,  and installed it:

I also wired in the low battery indicator led:

The switch box wiring:

That's a lot of wires.....

With the control box wiring complete,  I slipped in the sound board mount:

And got ready to add the CF:

I wired up the main power leads,  then the leads for the main switch,  aux switch,  and the switch led.  I also did the low battery led:

This is where things get a little strange....I plugged in a kill plug from TCSS and the low battery led came on:

I don't think that's normal operation....so I removed the lead for the low battery led,  then the switch led came on instead:

I also couldn't get the saber to activate until I used my needle nose p;liers to trip the switch connection on the board,  and figured out I had wired the switch leads wrong on the DPDT AV switch.  I usually don't use those ones from TCSS because the extra set of pins aren't usually necessary in the sabers I build,  but I wanted the ring to light up well,  and the ones I usually get that are SPST have 12volt led's in them,  and they just don't work as well as the TCSS switches with the 3.3v led.  So,  I re-wired the switch and got it working,  and cycled though all the menu options and tested it with the main blade led:

It's alive!!!

Well,  sort of  as I stated in my previous post.   The kill switch isn't killing power to the board completely.  I can still measure 4.2 volts going to the board when the plug is inserted.  I assume the issue is in the recharge port,  but haven't had a chance to check it or change it yet.  I'll do that some time tomorrow.  My guess is that the switchable negative tab has gotten bent somehow and is still allowing some contact even when the plug is inserted.

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2010, 10:29:10 PM »
Just a quick update on this one....I worked on it a bit after posting my last message and before going to work,  and got it figured out.  Apparently this board did not like having the low battery led wired to the recharge port's terminal for the battery negative.  I took it off the charge port and attached it to the negative pad on the CF board along with the negative for the switch led,  and all is well.  The saber kills properly and boots up every time the plug is pulled.  Now to load those fonts Exile requested.  

I also have to drill the ribbed extension for the sound vents and add a chrome sleeve to top of that, then it should be just about done!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 04:45:14 PM by QUI-GON JINN »

Offline BOBA FETT

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Force Relics co-founder, FKA Master Jevaho
    • Force Relics
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2010, 01:04:16 AM »
Lookin' awasome!

Offline Jedi Exile

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2010, 03:53:14 AM »
Great to know, Master Jinn! I sent you the font selection via PM. Can't wait to see the final result! :D
Member of the Lost 10

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2010, 05:09:13 PM »
Sent ya a pm,  Exile.  

Here's what the saber sounds like right now:
http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o141/Jay-gon_Jinn/Chrome%20Saber%2031/?action=view&current=100_9196.mp4
I think the board may have blown out the luxeon driver chip.  The led is still not as bright as it was yesterday when I was working on the saber,  even after double-checking the ledcurrent setting in the configuration files.

I'll still work on finishing up the rest of the hilt construction while I await a possible diagnosis from erv.

I still need to drill the ribbed extension for the extra sound vents,  add a chrome accent piece to the top of the extension,  and drill and tap for a blade retention screw.  Do you have a preference on size for those,  Exile?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 06:17:35 PM by QUI-GON JINN »

retrousse