fiduciary

Author Topic: Need help: Do's and dont's of saber charging.  (Read 2192 times)

Offline Chadm

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
Need help: Do's and dont's of saber charging.
« on: February 21, 2019, 09:46:25 AM »
Hello all,

This may be a dumb question but i am wondering if I can use generic 2.1mm chargers to charge my 18650 powered sabers.

I have a smart charger from tcss but as I have built more sabers I find I am unable to charge all at once without buying a lot of expensive smart chargers.

All the batteries are protected but I don't know what would happen if I plugged my saber into a power jack coming out of a USB port on a computer or wall plugged iPhone USB charger, or even the cigarette lighter in my car. ( I literally have random 2.1mm power cables for each of those)

It would be awesome to be able to charge my 18650s all over like that but it would suck to damage my lightsabers.

So I'm asking you pros for some insight into the dos and donts with saber chargers

Offline JakeSoft

• Experienced Force User
  • The Arduino Jedi
    • Universal Saber Library
Re: Need help: Do's and dont's of saber charging.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 10:11:51 AM »
The charge voltage for an 18650 is typically 4.2V. USB outputs 5V. Plugging USB power directly into an 18650 is not a good idea.

Soundboards that feature built-in USB charging such as the DIYino StarDust boards have special circuitry that sits between the USB power and the battery that monitor things and make sure it safe, but without it you may damage your battery.

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 12:11:56 PM »
You can also search for "4056 charger" and you'll find plenty of options on digikey, adafruit,amazon and ebay.  These are very cheap and reliable.

They usually come preset at 500ma or 1a, this can be changed on some boards by soldering or cutting a jumper (or can always be changed by swapping a surface mount resistor).

Offline Chadm

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 08:49:10 PM »
Awesome thanks for the help guys. I will look up that charger.

Jakesoft by the way I gotta say thank you for all your pioneering and sharing with saber systems and tutorials. i have a dream to one day build a saber using an arduino nano. I have all the parts but little time with a toddler and a new puppy in the house.

I wish you all the best for your contributions to the saber community.

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 09:30:32 PM »
May the force be with you. The Arduino saber crew always welcomes new blood and ideas. Please share your progress, I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

Offline Chadm

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 06:57:14 AM »
Jbkuma, thanks very much and I certainly will.

Offline JakeSoft

• Experienced Force User
  • The Arduino Jedi
    • Universal Saber Library
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 07:41:15 AM »
Awesome thanks for the help guys. I will look up that charger.

Jakesoft by the way I gotta say thank you for all your pioneering and sharing with saber systems and tutorials. i have a dream to one day build a saber using an arduino nano. I have all the parts but little time with a toddler and a new puppy in the house.

I wish you all the best for your contributions to the saber community.

Of course!  The opportunity to share in the joy of your work is all the thanks I'd ever ask for, so please keep us updated on your progress (or just share some video/pics when it's done). I wish you success with your build! :)

retrousse