fiduciary

Author Topic: Neopixel vs. PlecterPixel?  (Read 6654 times)

Offline JakeSoft

• Experienced Force User
  • The Arduino Jedi
    • Universal Saber Library
Neopixel vs. PlecterPixel?
« on: November 06, 2018, 04:24:50 PM »
I want to jump on the pixel bandwagon with a future project, so I have been doing some research to sort out what parts I'll need or what to ask for if I opt to commission somebody else to build the blade for me. I am a little confused about some of the YouTube videos and thread titles where I'm seeing things like "PlecterPixel blade" but then in another video I see what looks like something very similar called "NeoPixel blade" or just generically "Pixel Blade".

My question is: Is there anything proprietary about the blade itself or the underlying tech that makes it "PlecterPixel", or is that just marketing? Or does it *become* "PlecterPixel" when you plug it into a PL board?

I watched Madcow's video on how to build a pixel blade (Plecter Pixel Blade Construction - YouTube) and in that video he calls it "PlecterPixel" in both the title and in the video, but it looks like he uses the same ws2812 strips that NEC and Protowerkstatt use, so what is the difference?

NEC also makes something called "IntelliBlade" (an actual physical pixel blade) and I I'm not sure if that is cross-compatible with PL or Protowerkstatt boards either.

I apologize if I've missed something obvious here. I've done in-hilt LED sabers for years but I've been out of the loop on this pixel stuff so it's all very new to me. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Offline BigEd781

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
Re: Neopixel vs. PlecterPixel?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 05:07:00 PM »
As far as I'm aware, "PlecterPixel" is just a marketing term.  VV uses adafruit LEDs iirc and they're powered by a Plecter Labs board.

Offline K-2SO

• Killer Droid Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Congratulations! You are being rescued.
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 05:22:30 PM »
Plecterpixel is basically a standard (connectors) which was established by Plecter Labs and their affiliates. Several have “replicated” the general connectors, etc.
TCSS uses that standard, and their connectors.

I find your arguments vague and unconvincing.

Quiet! *Slap* And there’s a fresh one if you mouth off again.

Offline JakeSoft

• Experienced Force User
  • The Arduino Jedi
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 05:41:26 AM »
Plecterpixel is basically a standard (connectors) which was established by Plecter Labs and their affiliates. Several have “replicated” the general connectors, etc.
TCSS uses that standard, and their connectors.

Ah, that makes some sense. I scanned the Prism 5.5 user manual in search of answers and it does mention those connectors (development of which is credited to Evolution Arms and Sloth Furnace). I got confused because the "Plecter Pixel" section of the manual on page 36 also talks about several other types of connectors that are clearly not proprietary.

So, what I'm taking away from this is that unless you use that special type of connector, it's just a generic "Pixel blade". If you do use that type of connector, you can accurately call it a "Plector Pixel" blade. In either case, the underlying technology is the same and they are electrically equivalent.

Thanks for the responses.

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 06:01:54 AM »
I call it Plecter Pixel if the blade is powered by a Plecter board

Offline JakeSoft

• Experienced Force User
  • The Arduino Jedi
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 06:06:09 PM »
I call it Plecter Pixel if the blade is powered by a Plecter board
That was one of my original theories, but then K-2SO told me about the connector angle. I'm still confused about when I should be calling it "Plecter Pixel" but at least now I know that the name doesn't really matter. My original question was more technically oriented; I just wanted to understand what would be compatible with which boards. It sounds like no matter what you call it, if it's based on WS2812 strips, PL, NEC, and Protowerkstatt boards should all work. 

Offline K-2SO

• Administrator
  • Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 06:28:12 PM »
It’s more of a standard, not technical specs. They should work with anything that supports neopixel strips and can handle a battery that can power said strips.

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2018, 03:36:07 PM »
NeoPixel (adafruit) and Plecter Pixel (Plecter Labs, et al) are really just brand names.  NeoPixel has become the "Kleenex" of addressable LEDs, and Plecter Pixel is really, in my opinion, the Plecter Labs implementation of this technology in their boards.

From the beginning  I always called them Pixel Blades. I think that is the proper general term.  It was great to see it gain popularity and move forward in LightsaberOS (now FX-SaberOS), then Teensy, NEC and finally Plecter.  Since then a dozen or so other boards have become either broadly available or have a at least some kind of following.  There were many ideas floating around on how to connect the blades before NEC and Plecter got in on the action.  I don't claim to be the first, and my first pixel based saber was made almost 3 years ago (started working on it at the end of 2015) while Vaders Vault announced "Plecter Pixel" less than a year ago (2017 Nov 28).  Andras (Protowerkstatt) posted a video in 2015 as well. 

I honestly have no idea who was the first to come up with the PCB/pogo concept or who was the first to execute it, but it was an idea that existed before it was popularized.  Those involved in the early experiments (and sharing their information) tried dozens of different connectors, some ill advised, including anything from audio jacks (which was the original connector suggested in the PL manuals) to network jacks.  Many of us settled early on aviation connectors or DIN plugs and continue to prefer them.  Others prefer the PCB style and it's various implementations, others still use less appropriate connectors that aren't really designed to carry the current.

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2018, 10:57:46 AM »
Sooo if one is DIYing a Pixel saber one can use many combinations of components that will work but if you want to be able to buy a Pixel saber from one source (ex Madcow) and use a Pixel blade from another source (ex Vaders Vault) and know they will work together you need a common standardization with compatible connectors etc...thus Plecterpixel? Is that why?
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2018, 11:23:30 AM »
Plecter Pixel is only a Plecter Labs board that supports pixel blades.

Every pixel blade board can work with every pixel blade if you use a the same or compatible connectors, it's just power and a standard signal line.  TCSS themselves don't even call the connectors "Plecter Pixel," they list it as "NeoPixel PCB connector."  It is a pretty basic and low profile system which makes it pretty versatile, especially for hilts with shallow blade sockets.

Others have standard configurations using more complex connectors, but DIY setups do allow for more individualization.  For instance, my connectors allow for a USB/Serial/RICE connection, charging, and an activation key (kill key alternative, hilt is only powered when a blade or plug is connected) through the blade socket.  TeensySaber has a system that allows charging and also features blade type sensing, so you can connect an RGB or string blade through the same socket.

Offline K-2SO

• Administrator
  • Master Force User
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2018, 02:08:14 PM »
Sooo if one is DIYing a Pixel saber one can use many combinations of components that will work but if you want to be able to buy a Pixel saber from one source (ex Madcow) and use a Pixel blade from another source (ex Vaders Vault) and know they will work together you need a common standardization with compatible connectors etc...thus Plecterpixel? Is that why?

Pretty much.

TCSS uses the Plecterpixel “standard”, which is used by all of the PL affiliates. The PCB’s were developed by some of PL affiliates and are used by the PL affiliates. People who use the TCSS stuff are essentially using the PL “standards”. Will they work with other cards? Sure as long as they are properly wired and use compatible connectors.

Offline EL1

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2018, 08:14:27 PM »
Plecter Pixel is only a Plecter Labs board that supports pixel blades.

Every pixel blade board can work with every pixel blade if you use a the same or compatible connectors, it's just power and a standard signal line.  TCSS themselves don't even call the connectors "Plecter Pixel," they list it as "NeoPixel PCB connector."  It is a pretty basic and low profile system which makes it pretty versatile, especially for hilts with shallow blade sockets.

Others have standard configurations using more complex connectors, but DIY setups do allow for more individualization.  For instance, my connectors allow for a USB/Serial/RICE connection, charging, and an activation key (kill key alternative, hilt is only powered when a blade or plug is connected) through the blade socket.  TeensySaber has a system that allows charging and also features blade type sensing, so you can connect an RGB or string blade through the same socket.

This was great info and really helpful!

Thanks!

Offline Kreyhn

• No Force
  • BZZSHZRRMMmmmmm...
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2018, 08:13:45 AM »
For instance, my connectors allow for a USB/Serial/RICE connection, charging, and an activation key (kill key alternative, hilt is only powered when a blade or plug is connected) through the blade socket.

I am intrigued.  I don't know if I'll ever get to implementing something like your activation key, but it sounds like a great idea!

retrousse