fiduciary

Author Topic: Slothfurnace's Warmonger  (Read 1214 times)

Offline slothfurnace

• Commando Jedi
  • Mining Colony Members
  • Experienced Force User
    • slothfurnace
Slothfurnace's Warmonger
« on: October 22, 2020, 06:28:18 PM »

A new work in progress I'm calling Warmonger. 

Trying for an outside-the-box, aggressive design. Mostly old flashgun parts.  Huge thanks to Roman for the Graflex top I chopped and inverted for the grip/pommel section.

This saber started as a pile of parts and a need to design a new saber for SWTOR.

The first thing that caught my attention was the two Graflex side units that I had, and the thought that I could face them towards each other...

At that point, I had the seed of an idea, and an old Heiland emitter that barely fit one side, and an oddball Heiland clamp on the other.  I had a small section of 1 inch blade material stuffed in the bunny ear rings on each one, but I really liked where that was headed.

After I removed the bunny ears, I needed a legit way to secure the two flashes together, so out of my scrap bin came a 7/8" blade adapter, from I think a graflex 2.0 replica.  The emitter side fits into the inverted Graflex side unit and just needed a new mounting screw hole. 

Vintage pins fit nicely, and I will add the vintage grounding tabs inside the socket holes before I am done. Adding the Graflite switchbox to the space where the bunny ears used to protrude from the flash body, and tossing the Canon Model Y emitter piece into the old build Your Own saber shroud, and I had a look that I really liked.

Next up, the grip and pommel section.  I wanted to go further outside the box with this, and use a graflex top, inverted, and with the S curve and bunny ears shaved off.  I didn't want to cut up the ones I had, and was on the hunt for a scrap one from someplace, when Roman offered one of his scrap tops.  It didn't take too long to affix a couple TCSS control boxes with accent LEDs, two vintage red buttons, and two vintage glass eyes and a pommel cap to finish off the grip.  This grip has three rubber grip strips attached, one shorter than the other to account for the top glass eye.

Adding one of my SWC 2020 cards into the Heiland clamp, and then getting the two halves to mate through a neat black harddrive motorcoil was the last step, I finally had the "in real life concept art" I needed to model this in 3D.

The next step is to secure a few things and get electronics installed, but that may be for another post.

Thanks for lookin'

Sloth

Offline Darkmatter73

• Experienced Force User
  • Um...Hello?
Re: Slothfurnace's Warmonger
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2020, 09:03:18 AM »
Watching you make stuff is like Salieri watching Mozart compose.
Yeah he was a solid and respected composer, but Mozart was on another level.
Great work man, as always.
Darkmatter73

Offline Forgetful Jedi Knight

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • The old Jedi Master also commonly known as FJK
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2020, 09:10:15 AM »
Nice work B!

May the force be with you all!

Remember... speak softly and carry a well constructed light saber! :)

How "Freedom of Speech" works:  you have the freedom to say whatever you want, BUT you also have the freedom to suffer whatever consequences your actions or words dictate

Offline slothfurnace

• Commando Jedi
  • Mining Colony Members
  • Experienced Force User
    • slothfurnace
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2020, 10:28:05 AM »
Watching you make stuff is like Salieri watching Mozart compose.
Yeah he was a solid and respected composer, but Mozart was on another level.
Great work man, as always.
Darkmatter73

Thank you very much, you are too kind. 

Nice work B!

Thanks much! I appreciate that!

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2020, 04:03:47 PM »
This is awesome! Always enjoy seeing your work. It inspires for years and years after I see one of your creations!

Offline scott

• Experienced Force User
  • Oh, I don’t think so.
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2020, 04:42:41 PM »
You should have done the flashgun challenge! 

Offline slothfurnace

• Commando Jedi
  • Mining Colony Members
  • Experienced Force User
    • slothfurnace
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2020, 04:47:10 PM »
You should have done the flashgun challenge!

Well, I just put this together this week. I think I missed the deadline.  I’ve been swamped at work so I didn’t even know about it.

Offline scott

• Experienced Force User
  • Oh, I don’t think so.
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2020, 04:58:56 PM »
Bummer because this is exactly in the spirit of the challenge. Was this totally coincidental, or did the contest instigate the idea?

Either way, amazing job and 1 of a kind!

Offline eastern57

• Neato Jedi Knight
  • Master Force User
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2020, 05:03:15 PM »
That's possibly a good thing -for our egos- Sloth Norris has this thing where he comes in and just owns everything. 

I remember this one time I climbed to the top of Mt. Everest, there was a trophy waiting for me at the summit, but when I turned it around, I saw it was engraved, "Owned by Sloth Norris". :shocked:

Offline scott

• Experienced Force User
  • Oh, I don’t think so.
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2020, 05:56:43 PM »
I hear you, but 4th place to 5th place isn’t as big of a deal as 2nd to 3rd!  I have a hunch that you would agree, but the better the turnout and competition, the more interest it will create...that said, very happy with 6 members submitting entries given 2020 and all...maybe if 21 is back to normal we will have twice that!

Offline slothfurnace

• Commando Jedi
  • Mining Colony Members
  • Experienced Force User
    • slothfurnace
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2020, 06:12:16 PM »
Bummer because this is exactly in the spirit of the challenge. Was this totally coincidental, or did the contest instigate the idea?

Either way, amazing job and 1 of a kind!

Total coincidence. I only found out about the contest after FJK saw the saber and mentioned it to me.

That's possibly a good thing -for our egos- Sloth Norris has this thing where he comes in and just owns everything. 

I remember this one time I climbed to the top of Mt. Everest, there was a trophy waiting for me at the summit, but when I turned it around, I saw it was engraved, "Owned by Sloth Norris". :shocked:

Hahaha. I needed that today! :)

Offline Obi_1

• Mining Colony Members
  • Experienced Force User
  • Creator of DIYino - first open source FX-board
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2020, 12:04:26 PM »
If I think about the single most perfect saber I even saw I still think of Sloth's Satele...

retrousse