fiduciary

Author Topic: Graflex Replica Build - WIP  (Read 17827 times)

Offline Anceem Llevik

• Experienced Force User
Re: Graflex Replica Build - WIP
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2009, 01:34:10 PM »
Well, the photo below should show my latest advance in the build. I've successfully (if only temporarily) wired up my UltraSound 2.0! After some initial hickups that seem to be common when first trying to get the US working (and exchanging some slightly worried PMs with Master Skywalker), she fired up and came to life! Now that was some serious fun.  ;D  Obviously I have some rewiring to do - shorten some wires and get everything shrink tubed and fit into the chassis, but I just needed to know that my soldering skills had done the job, and thankfully, they did.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 02:12:13 PM by Anceem Llevik »

MR Construction Kit, US Dominix, US Initiate, The Persuader by Do-Clo, Graflex

Offline Anceem Llevik

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2009, 02:23:59 PM »
I wanted to give some initial reactions to the sound quality. It's pretty amazing how it changes from just the chassis to where it is in the bottom half of the Graflex hilt. Obviously the hilt is acting as a resonance chamber. I'm used to the sound level from my MR Construction Kit, which is too loud in my opinion, and maybe that's why this seems rather soft to me (and yes, I do have it set to sound level 2). It also has a bit a tinny sound to it. I've posted some pictures below. There are two small areas indicated in the first photo that show some minor damaged areas on the speaker. I don't know if these are an issue or not, so I'd like the opinion of those who might know.
My second question concerns the second photo. The other speaker is the one I got with my CF last spring. You'll notice the smoother cone/circle in the middle is larger than the one mounted in the chassis. Does this mean it would have a deeper, more resonant sound? I don't know if the one in there is what is sold on TCSS as their "premium speaker" since I don't know for sure when Yoda made my chassis. Thanks for any insight!

Offline darthmorbius

• Master Force User
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2009, 02:08:20 AM »
Anceem, you are definitely going to want to change that speaker out.  It is damaged, and is part of what is causing your low sound issue. However, the nature of a graflex hilt, depending on how your sound holes are set up, will soften the sound noticeably.  I noticed that you haven't posted a picture of the graflex bottom you are using.  That might help give a better Idea of what is going on with your resonance and sound escape.

There really isn't much difference between those two speakers.  The sound levels are about the same on both types.  It may have a bit more bass with the other speaker, but not so much that you will notice a difference.

Offline Anceem Llevik

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2009, 02:29:41 PM »
I'm attempting to load my very first video clip. Hope this works!

EDIT - It works! I think I compressed it a little too far, the video quality isn't stellar, but it works! Didn't realize I was moving the saber around so much while filming. You might want to have some Immodium on hand while you watch!  ;D

http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/ll115/anceem/?action=view&current=Graflex.flv
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 02:33:41 PM by Anceem Llevik »

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
  • Romans 3:20-26 As simple as it gets.
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2009, 07:17:56 PM »
Glad to see you got it all done Anceem.  Looks very familiar.  ;)

You seem to have done a great job.  Your Jedi skills are now complete.  ;)

Thanks for posting the vid.

Offline Anceem Llevik

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2009, 06:30:13 AM »
Thanks Luke! And thanks again for all your assistance. I certainly couldn't have done it without all the assistance I had here from you, Jango and DT. I would love to upgrade my US with the 2.1 update, but I just don't think I have the stomach to undo the wiring and send it in. I think it's too risky. Maybe someday I'll pick up a US 3.0 and put it in there. Outside of that, I think I need to find a way to secure the board better. I'm not happy at all with how the clash is working (or not working), and the the lockup effect will trigger when a clash should sound, so I'm thinking it's mainly an issue with the board not being fully tied down. I don't know HOW I'm going to secure it better, but it's worth exploring. Outside of that, I'd like to swap the LED out for a Lux V Cyan some day to give it that more authentic ANH look.

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
  • Romans 3:20-26 As simple as it gets.
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2009, 06:39:48 AM »
It's been so ong I can't remember what we discussed but Yoda had used some thin foam around the board along with tie wraps to hold the board in place.  I hear ya though on the issues you stated.  The only US 2.0 I have seen had the same response.

Offline Baena

• Padawan Learner
    • My illustration blog
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2009, 07:50:00 PM »
Looks great Anceem!
Get's me most excited to get my graflex finished as well.
Both Yoda and Skywalker have been amazing resources and helpful in the whole building process.
Tax return time is very near, and with our tax return, I'll hopefully be picking up the last of my necessary parts for my saber.  Again, seeing yours and the many others around here are huge inspirations!

MtFbwY.   :)

retrousse