fiduciary

Author Topic: My First Graflex Project  (Read 4137 times)

Offline FiL Good

• No Force
My First Graflex Project
« on: February 11, 2009, 06:57:54 AM »
OK, so,  I've just this morning received my Graflex ANH replica from the good people at JQ Lightsabers.  (yes I'm in the UK)
And i've also ordered myself the Graflex socket adaptor from the GraflexShop.
However,  next piece in the puzzle is sound.  And im putting my questions out to all the knowledgeable people here?

I'm undecided on UltraSound, or Crystal Focus.  I am aware that i can purchase one of Master Yoda wonderful chassis' ready for either of these, but i'd like to have a bash at making my own chassis, so my decision will be mainly based on size?

Also i'd like to dual with my saber so any ideas on best soundboard for this too?

So basically i'd asking for sizes on both types, and best for dueling?

I know the good people of FX-Sabers will collectively help me complete this arduous but worthwhile project, and yes, pics will follow soon.

Any other Graflex builders in the UK out there? i've spoken to a couple but I felt sure there'd be more of us.

"Life, for a limited time only"

FiL X

Offline Gabywan

• Master Force User
  • Que nunca muera el niƱo que llevamos adentro...
Re: My First Graflex Project
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 07:27:14 AM »

Hi FIl!!!

Welcome to the forums!!

Very little time that I am a part of this forum and I really can make sure you that the forum is very happy.

I am from Argentina (but ...let's forget the hand of maradona, ;D), I am waiting for my ANH replica, while I am building the crystal chassis (I hope can finished it),I hope to be able to finish it.

I was asking for the sizes of the crystal focus, on the page of plecter labs (www.plecterlabs.com) you will be able to obtain these dimensions. also you can make use of the maximum dimensions that the hilt allows you to do the chassis.

In this forum you will find many people that it is known very much and it will be able to help you much more than me.

I invite you that you enter my project and take part in ( http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=16025.0 ).. proposals and ideas will be received well.

Welcome again and a lot of luck in your project.

PD.:you forget my bad English please  :-[

Offline Anceem Llevik

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 10:59:20 AM »
Obviously the biggest strike against the CF is availability. It does cost almost, but not quite, twice as much as the US. You'd also have to tackle the issue of adding an auxiliary switch. Master Skywalker will chime in on that issue, you can bet.
I have one of each board, but my CF isn't installed in anything, so I can't offer an opinion on which might be more duelable, but if they're properly secured I'm sure either would work well. You'll be getting some more opinions shortly, rest assured.
And welcome to the forums!

MR Construction Kit, US Dominix, US Initiate, The Persuader by Do-Clo, Graflex

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Also known as Jay-gon Jinn!
  • JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Your focus determines your reality
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 11:27:55 AM »
I have had both soundboards myself,  and as far as duellability goes,  there isn't much difference from on to the other.  The Ultrasound 2.0/2.1 is probably your best bet, as it is more widely available than the CF.  Neither board is really recommended for someone just getting started in the hobby in your first saber,  so hopefully you've already built a few and know what you're doing.

There are a few saber builders in th U.K.,  and to chat with them,  look here:
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/index.php
Those are the forums for The Custom Saber Shop,  where you can get all kinds of parts to build a saber, even a few Graflex parts.  There several members there from the U.K.

Oh,  and BTW,  Welcome to FX-Sabers!  If you haven't already,  please stop by this topic:
http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=10747.0
Give it a read, and post agreement.

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
  • Romans 3:20-26 As simple as it gets.
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 11:42:30 AM »
Lots of good info so far and yes I will chime in more later tonight.

IMO CF all the way.  More to follow in 5 hours.  ;)

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
  • Romans 3:20-26 As simple as it gets.
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 05:37:20 PM »
Bump 4 ya.

First off let me say everyone has their own opinion and it is just that, their own opinion.

Here's my take.  I say get the best thing you can afford.  IMO the CF is the best SB out there and it goes great in a graflex.  I also have a US board and that is a great board as well.  They are different in their own ways and both awesome.  You do get what you pay for.

The CF works great in a graflex and you can indeed hide the aux switch nicely.  Remember the graflex has the red bottons for ESB and the red button glass eye combo for the ANH so you have two switches to work from. 

With the CF over the US you have the option of downloading movie specific sounds like from ESB or ANH vs having only one choice on your SB.

This is not to say the US is not a great board.  It is.  The big problem is getting the CF like stated earlier.

If you have the cash IMO get the US now since they are on the shelf so to speak, then later if you can score a CF grab it and put the US in another saber. 

Again we all have our own thoughts and it really boils down to what you want and can afford.  ;)

retrousse