fiduciary

Author Topic: Saber stand with integrated diagnostics panel  (Read 2733 times)

Offline Darth Chasm

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
Saber stand with integrated diagnostics panel
« on: May 29, 2019, 07:44:47 PM »
I’ve been tinkering with a saber display idea on and off for several years now. While playing around with one of the possible components I got the itch to just make something. It was great because I finally took a dive into arduino and program and learned quite a bit in the process.

This is a saber stand with integrated diagnostics panel. I programmed all of the graphs and graphics (1st attempt) and hand built the enclosure without machines. Yep, files, xacto, clamps, etc. The graphs and numbers are just rgn loops but I'm sure with some tweaking and the right connection the could give real world info.

The unit is activated by placing the saber, VV Ardent in this case, on the stand. When the saber is removed, the unit powers down. This incorporates a simple open circuit that is closed when the metal hilt touches the contacts. I believe I can adapt the concept to have the contacts on the plug part so the it is more universal for various saber emitters.

Anyway, take a look if you'd like.

Offline eastern57

• Neato Jedi Knight
  • Master Force User
Re: Saber stand with integrated diagnostics panel
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 01:37:08 AM »
If it's a stand, you could mount the base with the switch on top of the box, and feed the wire directly through a hole on the top - then it's a singular unit.

Offline Darth Chasm

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 03:26:32 AM »
If it's a stand, you could mount the base with the switch on top of the box, and feed the wire directly through a hole on the top - then it's a singular unit.

Absolutely! Great idea.

Offline Ridire Fíréan

• Force User
  • Up&down&around the bend a Jedi's story never ends
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 06:34:38 PM »
Hey @Darth Chasm  !  Neat idea!  Here's some add-ons for you if you start a V2...

If you had Bluetooth in the saber and some sort of proximity sensor a.k.a "Force Feeler" for the signal within the Diagnotstic Box, the box could 'wake up' say, "I feel a presence I've not felt since... the last time I ran a diagnostic." ;) when the lightsaber came within a few feet of the diagnostic box.

You could pretty the insert up a bit down where the contacts are with a simple washer-like donut.  A small flat switch lying beneath it instead of bare contacts would trigger a "Ready to begin diagnostic testing." response. 

Then activate the saber.  A light sensor within the insert would trigger a "Lightsaber diagnostic commencing." response.

After say 30 seconds of display time, the diagnostic box would say "Diaganostic complete, deactivate lightsaber now."  If you fail to deactivate your lightsaber within 10 seconds, the box says "Failure to deactivate lightsaber immediately will result in catastrophic failure of this device."  Then 5 seconds later it says "May the Dark Side overtake you for your carelessness!" and then have it make all sorts of frying electronic sounds and blow smoke out the seams!

Offline Darth Chasm

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2019, 06:48:05 PM »
Hey @Darth Chasm  !  Neat idea!  Here's some add-ons for you if you start a V2...

If you had Bluetooth in the saber and some sort of proximity sensor a.k.a "Force Feeler" for the signal within the Diagnotstic Box, the box could 'wake up' say, "I feel a presence I've not felt since... the last time I ran a diagnostic." ;) when the lightsaber came within a few feet of the diagnostic box.

You could pretty the insert up a bit down where the contacts are with a simple washer-like donut.  A small flat switch lying beneath it instead of bare contacts would trigger a "Ready to begin diagnostic testing." response. 

Then activate the saber.  A light sensor within the insert would trigger a "Lightsaber diagnostic commencing." response.

After say 30 seconds of display time, the diagnostic box would say "Diaganostic complete, deactivate lightsaber now."  If you fail to deactivate your lightsaber within 10 seconds, the box says "Failure to deactivate lightsaber immediately will result in catastrophic failure of this device."  Then 5 seconds later it says "May the Dark Side overtake you for your carelessness!" and then have it make all sorts of frying electronic sounds and blow smoke out the seams!

Great ideas, thanks. Some of them I had discussed with Jbkuma while building it. Some are a bit more than I would want to do with this particular unit. And some are planned for the larger project this small one is based on.  :wink:

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
  • Very, Very English Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2019, 03:21:30 AM »
I have nothing to add but applause. Nice work, man, that is really cool. Love the Aurebesh, that adds a great little detail.

Okay, I do have something to suggest, because I'm surprised no-one's suggested it yet: Integrated charging, either via a discreetly hidden 2.1mm jack, or if you're really fancy, inductive charging.
Better late than never.

Offline Darth Chasm

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2019, 09:07:45 AM »
I have nothing to add but applause. Nice work, man, that is really cool. Love the Aurebesh, that adds a great little detail.

Okay, I do have something to suggest, because I'm surprised no-one's suggested it yet: Integrated charging, either via a discreetly hidden 2.1mm jack, or if you're really fancy, inductive charging.

Thanks. Yeah it was actually mentioned. Just not here :). It's a great idea.

Offline Darth Chasm

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2019, 06:50:44 PM »
Updated the screen display to a bigger size and touch capabilities. I also added audio. Speech is an IBM Watson text to speech voice and loaded onto an Adafruit sfx board which is triggered by the Arduino.

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
  • Very, Very English Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2019, 03:25:43 AM »
Oho, upgrades. Neat. Is this the final form, or is there more to come?
Better late than never.

Offline Darth Chasm

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2019, 05:58:16 AM »
Oho, upgrades. Neat. Is this the final form, or is there more to come?

Definitely more to come.

Offline Darkmatter73

• Experienced Force User
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2019, 11:13:26 AM »
Dang DC.
The Force is with you my friend.  This is fantastic man, I love stuff like this I just can’t seem to do it lol
You and JB always make it look easy. Well done sir, well done!
-Darkmatter73

Offline Darth Chasm

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2019, 03:03:18 PM »
New components, better graphics, more sounds!

Offline grif

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2019, 06:03:31 AM »
Love this. Awesome work.

retrousse