fiduciary

Author Topic: Converted MR Mace Windu  (Read 13213 times)

Offline Jasher Kain

• Master Force User
  • A Knight of the Old Republic
Converted MR Mace Windu
« on: November 29, 2009, 09:58:23 AM »
Here it is:
Master Replicas
Mace Windu
FX Lightsaber

***Converted by General Grievous (aka. LDM)***

THE STORY
This was the first FX saber I ever physically touched. I was in the underground mall in Taipei just window shopping in a video game/anime shop when I saw this saber sitting on the counter. It was expensive, and so I didn't even think of buying it...that and the fact that the blade didn't come out and I wasn't really a big fan of Mace Windu. :-X

Anyways, after browsing these forums for a while, I decided that I liked the MR version even though it was called a "pig" by many members. I thought the size (at least on camera) was acceptable for my purposes. I saw this saber on eBay, had contacted LDM about it, and waited almost a full month (maybe 2) before going through with the purchase.

THE HILT
And this is what I got...
0 degrees:

90 degrees:

180 degrees:

270 degrees:

~ Grips ~
This saber has 2 grip sections: upper and lower. The upper grip section is faux leather made of plastic (left) as is the ring of faux leather at the bottom of the saber (right). The lower grips are thankfully made of rubber and not plastic (right). The Covertech wheel, however, is plastic.

The Maces were notorious for losing their gold paint, and this one is no different. While still in fine condition, you can see the beginnings of wear (left). And while many griped about switch placement, I thought it was cool that the main switch was the middle gold bar (right).

~ Emitter ~
The emitter holes are solid rather than drilled through (left). That could easily be fixed, though. ;) Because of the unique switch placement, the depth of the blade socket is limited to about 1" (right).

~ Pommel ~
MR did a really nice job on the pommel, though. It both looks and feels good.

THE BLADE
Certainly not stock, this is a finely tuned Tri-Rebel for Tru-Purple. 8) The blade is a Corbin battle blade and the saber is running on fresh Energizer alkaline batteries. All pictures were taken first with the flash, then without.
Powered down in a well lit room:

Powered up in a well lit room:

Powered up in a dark room:

CRITIQUES
{ + }
1. rubber grips {Durability +1}
2. switch placement {Novelty +1}
~ IMO, a very cool idea
3. stylish pommel {Accuracy +1}
4. MR really captured the beauty and the sleek design of this saber, despite its being oversized. {Novelty +1}
{ - }
1. size {Accuracy -1}
~ see below
2. faux leather made of plastic {Durability -1}
3. Covertech wheel made of plastic {Durability -1}
4. gold paint {Durability -1}
~ comes off with use :P
5. solid emitter holes {Accuracy -1}
6. shallow blade socket {Practicality -1}
7. 6-AA :P {Practicality -1}
8. Super-sensitive motion sensor {Novelty -1}

THE GRADE
A size comparison shot with an MR Anakin ROTS (which is 1:1 with a Graflex). You'll notice that they're pretty close in size...which is what initially drew me to this saber. Unfortunately, I don't have very big hands and it was impossible for me to spin this saber. The OD with the grips is quite large.

~ Accuracy: 4/5
~ Practicality: 3/5
~ Durability: 3/5
~ Novelty: 6/5
==================
TOTAL = 16/20 = 80%

This saber deserves an extra 20% for the LED LDM installed. Completely redefines this saber.
With some extra work, this could truly become an amazing saber. It has a lot of potential despite its size.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 01:56:46 AM by Jasher Kain »

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
Re: Converted MR Mace Windu
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 04:42:39 PM »
 :o :o

Nice saber!!Congrats!!I love the hilt from the first time I've seen it!! 8)

Offline Jasher Kain

• Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 04:55:50 PM »
:o :o
Nice saber!!Congrats!!I love the hilt from the first time I've seen it!! 8)
Thank you, sir! It's a real beauty. 8)

Offline The Highwayman

• Formerly known as Caden
  • Master Force User
  • Political Thread Pioneer #1
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 05:23:10 PM »
Great review! I love the rating system you have going on there! :D not a fan of mace windu?! :o :o lol

It's a shame that gold is gonna come off... That's a nice lookign mace. Any plans other than drilling the emitter holes?

"It's obvious that the price of this game cannot be determined by our knowledge of fair market value, but by our skills with a lightsaber." - Obi-wan (Jedimoves)

Offline Jasher Kain

• Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 08:47:01 PM »
Great review! I love the rating system you have going on there! :D not a fan of mace windu?! :o :o lol
It's a shame that gold is gonna come off... That's a nice lookign mace. Any plans other than drilling the emitter holes?
No...I thought Mace was a cocky punk. Not a "Jedi" by my understanding. :-X (let the flaming begin... :D)

As for upgrades, I was going to replace the faux leather with real leather, gold-plating the gold paint, have Hon_Rev do some new switches for me, install a crystal chamber...
But the GF liked this saber's style too much and because it was too big for her to wield...this saber was sold. I got her a Maul instead (to finally replace the one I sold to Obi-Wan a couple months back).

Regarding a future Mace for my collection, we'll just have to see what SithPlanet or Goodman can come up with.
Everyone knows how I feel about 3/4" blades... :P

Offline Caine

• Kwai Chang Caine master of duel-fu
  • Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 12:18:04 AM »
Any LDM saber (converted or not) is gold IMO...

The best thing to happen to that saber was for LDM to put his skills to work on it...But I am sorry but other than that, that saber is FAR from being a good one. It's too effin FAT, HORRIBLE switch placement and overall terrible craftstmanship. MR should be ashamed of this saber for SO MANY reasons. All it's meant for is to sit on a shelf, which to me is just plain WRONG.

I think the SithPlanet sabers will be much more accurate and I look forward to seeing those...from LDM and Vader's Vault especially (An Oppression Stopping Purpleicious Purple is a MUST for an accurate sized Mace saber).

Great review! Keep 'em coming!

Offline Jasher Kain

• Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 02:02:37 AM »
All it's meant for is to sit on a shelf, which to me is just plain WRONG.
Well, fortunately, it's new owner is bent on using it for heavy dueling. ;D I drilled and tapped the blade retention screw this morning and plan on putting it through some slightly-"aggressive negotiations" tonight to see how it holds up.
IMO, it'd make a decent 2-handed dueling saber.
(I mean, you haven't seen anyone spin a Scottish claymore, have you? ::) :D)

retrousse