fiduciary

Author Topic: Caine's review of his SID.  (Read 6630 times)

Offline Caine

• Kwai Chang Caine master of duel-fu
  • Master Force User
Caine's review of his SID.
« on: February 20, 2015, 11:04:57 PM »
One of the most sought after hilts in our hobby has finally made it’s way to become a fully functional FX version. There was a time when this hilt could simply not be made and produced because of the extremely high costs. However as we know in our hobby, things change in time, as well as the ability to create better prop replicas. So here is the Korbanth run Sid.

It’s a small saber  as expected, but it feels good in the hand. LDM did a great job on the Trans-Copper powder coating, which gave it that extra je ne sais quoi. I opted to not have the LED’s on the sides lighted as for my personal tasted I felt the hilt didn’t need it as it was nice enough on it’s own. The hidden pommel switches are a nice touch as well as I feel that Palpatine would have used the Force to activate his saber and thus not need any visible activation buttons.

I did some research on the weapon and found out some cool info. I covered that in the video.

Thanks to Korbanth for the run and extra thanks to LDM/GENERAL GREIVOUS for doing the install. I’ll be debuting this one this weekend as I teach the San Francisco’s Golden Gate Knights my version of Form VII-Juyo. After all, can’t we see Darth Sidious using elements of that form in his saber battles?  >:D

Specs:

Korbanth SID hilt
Trans copper PC'ing
Crystal Shard V. 2.5 with Novastar's Ep. III Sidious, Episode 2 Darkside, and Nova/Eastern 57's Darkmeat
12W RGBW LED with white FoC
Single cell 3.7 V 14500 Li-Ion battery

Video
Darth Sidious Lightsaber by LDM Custom Sabers - YouTube

Offline erv

• Plecter Labs Inc. "Keeper of the Buttered Toast"
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Irvin PLECTER
    • Plecter Labs - Props Electronics
Re: Caine's review of his SID.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 11:57:34 PM »
that trans copper indeed !
beautiful. I'm currently working on my, that is going to push me a little to complete it asap

Offline Caine

• Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 11:58:55 PM »
that trans copper indeed !
beautiful. I'm currently working on my, that is going to push me a little to complete it asap

Looking forward to seeing it, Erv!

Offline Scorpion

• Master Force User
  • GET OVER HERE!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 02:39:55 AM »
nice review caine, i agree with the accent leds not being lighted they are not lighted in the movie and is how i would have mine done also

JQ SABERS MASTER ORGUS DIN CFX
JQ/LDM/MH GK3 OBI-WAN KENOBI Proffie
JQ MASTER REPLICAS LE SIDIOUS CONVERSION CS3
JQ~OM AWESOMESAUCE MAUL STAFF DUAL CFv7
LDM MKVI LUKE SKYWALKER ROTJ REVEAL CFv6
JQ SABERS OBI-WAN EP4 ANH (RUSSREP)CSV4
FX SABERS VINTAGE GRAFLEX IV ANH CFv5
FX SABERS VINTAGE GRAFLEX V ESB CFv5
JQ SABERS OBI-WAN REVEAL AOTC CS3.0
JQ~VV STARKILLER #2 RUN1 CFv6 cex
JQ~OM ANAKIN "Skinnyflex" CS3
JQ~TRIDCLOUD ANAKIN AOTC CFv7
SC~VV QUIGON JINN #2 CFv5
OM OBIWAN TPM #2 CFv5
JQ SABERS LUKE ROTJ CFv4
JQ~korbanth DOOKU CS2
JQ~korbanth SIDIOUS CS2
JQ SABERS Kylo Ren CS3
LINK TO MY SABERS

Offline Pinousse

• Master Force User
  • If so powerfull you are, why leave?
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 03:16:31 AM »
Awesome saber and review  :))

Offline Lord Xeno

• Master Force User
  • Sith...they mostly come out at night. Mostly.
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 11:38:25 AM »
Awesome review Caine!  I'm assuming you went RGBW (LEDengin or Quad Rebel?) strictly for the white FoC

As for the lit LEDs, I could never get a clear shot of Sidious' saber to determine or even see the LEDs on his saber...so who knows? :) Then again my pause button isn't all that great.

I don't know but maybe using the CS the LEDs can be turned off? 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 11:45:56 AM by Lord Xeno »

Offline Caine

• Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 12:41:49 PM »
Awesome review Caine!  I'm assuming you went RGBW (LEDengin or Quad Rebel?) strictly for the white FoC

As for the lit LEDs, I could never get a clear shot of Sidious' saber to determine or even see the LEDs on his saber...so who knows? :) Then again my pause button isn't all that great.

I don't know but maybe using the CS the LEDs can be turned off?

Thanks. Yeah, I guess I was the odd one out with the non-functioning LED's and white FoC. For me personally, I have owned SO MANY sabers over the years with blinkies, I really don't get excited about them anymore, lol. And I am guessing the 12W RGBW is LDM's choice for red with white FoC. The only drawback is the run time, which is about 15-20 min. I may have to swap it out. We'll see.

Offline sithslayer1

• Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 01:00:54 PM »
Nice video and review Caine! For this hilt, what would you suggest as the best blade length for optimum balance?

Offline Caine

• Master Force User
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2015, 02:29:34 PM »
Nice video and review Caine! For this hilt, what would you suggest as the best blade length for optimum balance?

I want to say my overall blade length is 28". Any longer and it wouldn't feel good IMO because it would have an awkward balance.

Offline sithslayer1

• Master Force User
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2015, 05:06:27 PM »

I want to say my overall blade length is 28". Any longer and it wouldn't feel good IMO because it would have an awkward balance.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Offline Caine

• Master Force User
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2015, 05:20:43 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion.

Anytime.  ;)

The length of this almost makes it a shoto. Note that I said "almost". I can't see a Dark Lord of the Sith like Palpatine wielding a simple shoto, as it doesn't seem like it would be a formidable weapon on it's own. This saber measures 8.5" from the tip of the pommel to the emitter, so it's just a little too long to be classified as such. With a weapon that size, having a blade more than 30" makes things a bit wobbly in my experience.

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2015, 05:26:25 PM »
 :o :o

Nice saber there!! 8)

Offline master jinn

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2015, 08:41:44 PM »
Is SID any good for dueling?

Offline sithslayer1

• Master Force User
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2015, 07:51:48 AM »
Jinn, The SID is not a dueler, it has a shallow blade depth and the emitter/blade holder is held on by a set screw. This is a show piece. You can do choreography with it, but blade to blade contact would not be a good idea.

Offline Caine

• Master Force User
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2015, 11:43:54 AM »
Jinn, The SID is not a dueler, it has a shallow blade depth and the emitter/blade holder is held on by a set screw. This is a show piece. You can do choreography with it, but blade to blade contact would not be a good idea.

What sithslayer1 said.

Also, with only 1 screw holding on the BH, dueling would not be the best of ideas. I have since replaced the set screw with a thumbscrew for added stability, (since it would get loose from me just swinging it around) but no dueling with it at all.

retrousse