fiduciary

Author Topic: CFX and Color Xpander  (Read 693 times)

Offline uglyguitarguy

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
CFX and Color Xpander
« on: June 29, 2020, 03:15:55 PM »
Newbie here, so please bear with me as I explain what I'm after (thanks in advance).

I'm making a Goth3D design Graflex Mentor Series saber that his tutorial shows use of a CF9 and Color Xpander for. It will be the ANH Graflex saber, so I really don't care about changing colors. It will always be light blue blade (B/B/W Tri Cree) with a blue (LED) crystal reveal and a few accents. I've got a CFX and have been playing with it while parts are bring printed to learn it, and I've just about got the hang of programming all my accent/chamber LEDs. I'm powering the system from a 14500 7.4v battery. I've noticed that in order to get full LED brightness I need to use 5W resistors, and even they they get STUPID hot (burned the xxx out of my thumb the other day on one when not paying attention), and I usually end up getting a heat warning message from the CFX after a few minutes of ON time. In the Goth3D tutorial, I don't see ANY off-board resistors being used (especially large wattage like my 5W calculations), so I'm curious if the Color Xpander is part of a resistor-less solution? I can't seem to find any documentation or wiring diagram for it, or even if it interfaces with the CFX board like it did the CF9. I ordered one a couple weeks ago from the Plecter site, and it has yet to arrive (international shipping to the US can take a minute), but now I don't know if I actually need it, or if it even interfaces with the CFX. I'm just trying to figure it out as I go along.  :grin:

Any help in regards to the CFX and the Color Xpander, if they're even combinable (and if so, how?) would be immensely appreciated. From building analog guitar pedals for years I know just enough about this to be dangerous, but lack the experience and knowledge of this world specifically. Just hoping to make a cool display saber that makes all my friends jealous!

Thanks again, and cheers,

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Also known as Jay-gon Jinn!
  • JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Your focus determines your reality
Re: CFX and Color Xpander
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 04:20:51 PM »
7.4 volts is unnecessary on the CFX when using a Tri-Cree. You'll be much happier with a 3.7v battery, as you'll be able to use smaller, less prone to heating up resistors. The color xtender is also not necessary.

Offline uglyguitarguy

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 08:55:28 PM »
I truly appreciate such a quick response, and now that you've said that it seems glaringly obvious. I guess I just earned some space back in my saber guts, and made this a whole lot simpler than I expected it to be. Cheers and thank you!

Offline JANGO FETT

• Owner of Kilsythe Customs
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 04:26:01 PM »

Have you heard the tragedy of Mark Hamill the Wise?

My thoughts and prayers to the padawans of Coruscant - Master Jeselnik

Offline uglyguitarguy

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2020, 04:50:56 PM »
If I make another more "flexible" saber I'll keep that in mind, but since this is going for Ep IV screen accuracy, I only need a single blade color. Thanks for sharing the info though!

retrousse