fiduciary

Author Topic: TCSS Button Style Momentary Tactile Switch Install (Solved)  (Read 3572 times)

Offline seekerman

• No Force
  • Stay on target
TCSS Button Style Momentary Tactile Switch Install (Solved)
« on: November 13, 2016, 07:51:20 PM »
I've Installed this button into place, but it is very difficult to press-fit. It looks like this in the TCSS store:

For my saber, I don't think it's in all the way and I haven't found any instructions or suggestions that could help get this installed correctly. Currently, it is very difficult to press with a finger print, but doable with a finger nail.
It looks like this:

I found one reference to the install, but the instructions were vague. The install looks like this:

I am open to options and suggestions?

« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 06:01:52 PM by seekerman »

Offline Elim Vos

• Master Force User
  • doing what is necessary is not always right
Re: TCSS Button Style Momentary Tactile Switch Install (problem)
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 07:59:56 PM »
Looks like you need to widen the hole, I would use a fine grain sandpaper or a small file.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 08:03:36 PM by Elim Vos »
"In the Light, I have Balance. In the Darkness, I am Free"

Offline seekerman

• No Force
  • Stay on target
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 09:25:09 PM »
I did some minor filing before posting this, but upon closer inspection of the dome button switch I stopped. It looks like there is a very slight ridge around the button sleeve and getting this part to pass through the hole that I paid to have milled has been very challenging. I really want to get this button into place correctly without shredding it in half (made that mistake already). I'm concerned about over filing too, so is there a method to place it correctly without filing further?

Offline Elim Vos

• Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 10:14:19 PM »
The sandpaper will work a lot better then a file, opening it slowly. Sand for a few seconds then try the switch, and repete till it pops in. I will also recomend getting a thin of pvc pipe to support the switch inside.

Offline Greebles

• Formerly known as Codeweasel
  • Master Force User
  • “You must unlearn what you have learned.”
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 06:53:02 AM »
What are you using underneath the switch to keep it in place? It appears that the button is sitting to far below the hole.

-Denzil

Offline seekerman

• No Force
  • Stay on target
Re: TCSS Button Style Momentary Tactile Switch Install (Solved)
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 10:12:19 AM »
I hope I used the right part? The part I used was called a switch ring and looks like this:

Is there something else to use or a better method to keep the dome tactile switch locked into place?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 06:02:11 PM by seekerman »

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known as Alex Gordon
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 10:16:01 AM »
that switch is supposed to be a press fit, without needing anything behind it to hold it in place (as long as you don't mash it as hard as you can after it's installed, it will stay put).  It is supposed to be tight, as it's designed for an interference fit.  Once you press hard enough to get it in place, it won't come back out without deliberate force. 

Offline seekerman

• No Force
  • Stay on target
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2016, 06:01:24 PM »
In the end, it was a combo of both the hole size and the Switch Ring that solved the problem --> The Dome Tactile Switch hole was too small and required some filing. Next, the Dome Switch was sitting too low in the Switch Ring, so I had to raise it making it sit flush to the inside of the hilt. Now, I think it's placed correctly into the hole and held in place by the Switch  Ring. When I tap the Dome Switch, it does not move when I confirm by watching  inside.
Here's what it looks like now:

Offline Elim Vos

• Master Force User
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2016, 10:22:43 PM »
Question, why would you need a second Aux. switch when you have one in the box already?
Just curious.

retrousse