fiduciary

Author Topic: Novastar and Caine's Saber Combat System "NCSCS" (1st COMPLETE System!)  (Read 61897 times)

Offline Novastar

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • NCSCS - Sabercombat.com
    • DIAMOND DRAGONS: Humans stand, heroes fall--but DRAGONS are *Forever*...
Re: Novastar and Caine's Saber Combat System "NCSCS" (1st COMPLETE System!)
« Reply #210 on: March 19, 2012, 04:38:19 AM »
CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!! ... nearly all the editing is done at this point!  :)  At least... the main portion of everything, but certainly not counting the 2 to 4 vids that have not yet been filmed (duh).  Even though I'm not complete with my editing work... we're ALREADY at ~93 minutes of actual instruction (and no, I am not counting the credits reels--just as I didn't with DVD#1).

That said... HD footy is ~much~ more of a data space hog than its SD counterpart.  That probably goes without saying...

But this means that SOME content... will indeed be going onto the website as DL-able content.

That is actually GOOD news for Mark & myself, since... attempting to "make back" the time, preparation, logistical, filming, materials, design and planning costs for the entire NCSCS endeavor... is quite literally an experiment in *INSANITY*, heheheh... :)

MY advice to anyone wanting to do this kind of thing "on their own" (as in one or two people)?  Don't.  lol... Seriously.

But... I'm pretty glad things are moving forward!  :)  I'm excited to see if NCSCS will help change "plain ol' SW fan groups" who simply have nice costumes, some sabers, and delusions of grandeur... into folks with the tools / training drills that can lead to some real staged combat expertise.

It will take time, but... no one said being a "Jedi" would be easy!  :)

So... when our site is up and running, don't forget to come SUPPORT THE DOWNLOADABLE CONTENT TOO!  :)

I believe what we'll continue to do... is update the site with fresh content as the weeks & months pass, too.  Good stuff!
* Former creator and owner of SaberCombat
* CUSTOM SOUND FONT LIST --->
Click here for Nova's 100+ custom sound fonts!
* PERFORMANCE HIGHLIGHTS ---> Click here for Nova's saber performance work...
* DIAMOND DRAGONS ---> Diamond Dragons: A feature-length screenplay being developed by Matthew 'Novastar' Carauddo

I don't post often on forums anymore.  If you want to e-mail me: novastar1138@gmail.com, or visit me on Facebook:

Click here.

Offline C-3P0

• Formerly known as Dave316
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #211 on: March 19, 2012, 04:54:04 AM »
Sounds great Nova! :) can't wait for the release!

I'm actually going back through the whole of the first NCSCS DVD currently when I can find time...so awesome!

Offline Bazzard

• No Force
« Reply #212 on: March 19, 2012, 12:57:09 PM »
I am quite excited for this.  NCSCS 1 was excellent, and it looks like the next DVD will take it even further.

Offline Novastar

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #213 on: March 19, 2012, 11:18:47 PM »
I am quite excited for this.  NCSCS 1 was excellent, and it looks like the next DVD will take it even further.
All I can say is... I'm VERY glad for your work "on your end of the map" as well, Bazzard!  :)  Caine told me that you put a lot of work into what you've been working on, and that is a great thing.  We should find some time to chat online, on the phone, etc. if possible.

I also think it's only a matter of time now before we're all sort of going to be able to "unite East & West" in some kind of national saber camp!  :)

Granted... it's essentially what I've been hoping for with the "SaberStar Summer Camp" idea, but... it's not like I care what name it goes by, how it gets run or how it gets done.  I just forsee... national camps comin' soon!!!  It happened with Tricking... why not with LED sabers?  :)

It BETTER happen!!  heheheh.  Otherwise I'll release a "Greedo shot first" video, and that'll be the end of it... ..... O.O

* DIAMOND DRAGONS ---> Diamond Dragons: A feature-length screenplay being developed by Matthew 'Novastar' Carauddo

I don't post often on forums anymore.  If you want to e-mail me: novastar1138@gmail.com, or visit me on Facebook:

Click here.

Offline Novastar

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #214 on: April 06, 2012, 12:39:44 AM »
Well... despite all the roadblocks on getting a PROPER website going on (since 2011 when we launched DVD#1)... I finally couldn't allocate/delegate that anymore to folks who couldn't follow through...

Sooooo...

http://www.sabercombat.com

Now live!  :)

Obviously, a lot more stuff for the site will be coming down the road, but... until DVD#2 launches, I really don't know how much more flamethrowers I can juggle, heheheh...  :)

--Nova

Click here.

Offline Fallen_Jedi_EDiT

• Force User
« Reply #215 on: April 13, 2012, 08:06:48 PM »
<=is patiently waiting i want to advance my saber usage past spinning and tricking.

Offline Novastar

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #216 on: April 15, 2012, 01:25:30 AM »
I hear you!  :)

I mean... it may come of some surprise to folks, but... I myself rarely get to "enjoy what I've edited" until I've actually LAUNCHED the bloody project(s), heheheh!  Same went for the Sound Compendium CDs back in 2007/2008/2009, etc. -- was hard to look at it from a few steps back until I could sit back for a few moments and BREATHE.  Probably much like what VV & Saberfont.com is going through.

Anyhow... I can quickly say that I REALLY like what is coming on DVD2.  It's a giant, giant step forward from DVD#1 (for those who have it), so... if you already enjoyed + learned from DVD1... there's no other way to say it, it'd be impossible for you to dislike DVD2.

I also personally cannot wait to get the DL-able content going!  :)  I'm actually quite eager to delve into some of the general basics of film editing (and I'm not talking about "special effects" and fancy graphics--I'm talking about HOW TO EDIT IN A CONTIGUOUS MANNER).  I mean, when you get down to it:

* Even if you do a fight 100% live...
* Even if you do a fight "filmed" but all in one take...
* Even if you have "ideal" camera equipment, gear, lighting setups, etc.

...you're going to want to do some rudimentary things to help make your [ fight scene / sparring / etc. ] look really nice--to the best of your abilities and tools.

Again, I'm not talking about rotoscoping and fancy effects (since I PERSONALLY try to leave that kind of stuff "minimalistic", and instead rely on CONTENT)... I'm talking about helping you to comprehend some rudimentary film techniques... ones that don't require "uber-cams", nor uber-lighting, etc.

Anyhow... I do not have ANY idea if the folks who want to mess with NCSCS have any "real" interest in such things (building a fight scene, etc.)... but... I'm hoping that this is the type of following / customer base / community that Caine & I will be attracting.

More on this later, but... yup... I'm exciting about things!  A lot of the footage/final vids looks FANTASTIC.  :)  All in glorious yummy 1920 x 1080 (woot!)...

Click here.

Offline C-3P0

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #217 on: April 15, 2012, 01:31:33 AM »
Are these in the same PC format as the first CD? Or will they work on PS3's/DVD players etc?

Either way is fine for me as I just threw CD1 onto my iPad so I can watch it on the run :D

Offline Novastar

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #218 on: April 15, 2012, 01:55:50 AM »
Ah, good question... I almost forgot...

For those who did not already know, NCSCS DVD#1 was made as the kind of DVD you put into your machine (sort of like... you know... a DVD of CONTENT/media), and there are:

* Documents - mostly regarding notated combat forms
* Text files / helpers
* Video files (duh)...

Video format was H.264 "AVC" MPEG-4 Codec (Advanced Video Coding).  We did this kind of setup (and NOT as a "watch on my TV" kind of "movie" video) for many reasons, most of which revolved around:

* Avoiding stupid menus that are just bloat--you can navigate the videos just fine on your own
* Having documents to share + disclaimers--would have been abominably clunky to manage/organize on a "TV DVD/movie DVD"
* Easier to scan through + pause + take a snapshot of footy through a computer
* Most video is "going the way of the computer" these days...
* Even when DVD#1 was made, there was always thinking to go with 1920 x 1080 for DVD2... and we had even HOPED to go with HD footy for DVD1 (just didn't happen)
* I don't think 1920 x 1080 is supported by "normal DVD movie vids" (??)  ... that'd be "blu ray" (?)
* Video codecs and all that junk are complicated as it is... so... trying to support all sorts of formats for the clunky "TV DVD/movie DVD" would have required a skillset WAAAAAY outside my jurisdiction, lol.  :)  Homie don't go there, hahahaha and homie don't play dat!!!   8)

DVD#2 is slated to be pretty much the same, although I've yet to somehow become "absolutely certain" of how people will "always" be able to view/hear the content right from the get-go, due to the simply endless throngs of variations of people's: computer systems... installed video codecs... operating systems... audio codecs... and--you guys know--all that jazz!!  It's kinda nutz.

That said, the "AVC" codec is a fairly big standard in the industry of computer video (I did my research), so... unless you simply never watch HD (or even SD!) video on your computer, it wouldn't be surprising if you'd already be able to watch/hear right when you pop it in!  :)

In fact, I have still yet to hear a PEEP from anyone who "never got DVD#1 to playback", although I honestly assumed SOME people (10?  5?  20??) would have had SOME kind of issue.  But... nope.  If they did, they never asked nor told me, lol  (nor Caine, I'd guess).  Come to think of it... I had/have an immaculate record with my Crystal Focus CD compendiums: even after opening a "troubleshooting" thread for each one... ummm... no posts.  No problems.  :)  I'm still flabbergasted at that!  Looks like I did my job very well.

So... yah!  Long answer, but... I want to make sure people who are new understand too.  :)

You should be able to manage the DVD2 just like you do with DVD1.

Click here.

Offline C-3P0

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #219 on: April 15, 2012, 02:05:16 AM »
Thanks for the reply Nova :) Yeah, it's great...I'll be able to watch it in HD on my iPad this time round! :D

The reason for me doing that and not having it on the computer...I kinda moved my computer speakers elsewhere so I have no sound in the machine :P

Offline Aus_Jedi_Killer

• Master Force User
  • You wanna buy some deathsticks? :D
« Reply #220 on: April 15, 2012, 02:07:38 AM »
Just a thought... XVID H.264 seems to be an excellent container for HD video and also very easily playable in ps3, dvd player, pc, laptop etc :)

Offline Novastar

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #221 on: April 15, 2012, 06:48:54 PM »
I'll check that format out, Aus_Jedi... although I think it's essentially the same thing, and you'd find that any general "codec pack" online would support both formats (pretty standard).

Also...

Teaser #3.  Probably last one before actual 5.4 release...  :)

Click here.

Offline Caine

• Kwai Chang Caine master of duel-fu
  • Master Force User
« Reply #222 on: April 15, 2012, 10:07:58 PM »
Just checking in here... :-\

I know that a lot of you are probably wondering why Nova is more of the "spokesperson" and the "face" of NCSCS these days and why there are other people in the vids and where is the 2nd half of NovaCaine?

Firstly, I am in MAJOR training for my 6th degree black belt test. The training is VERY intense and I am very focused on this nowadays (yes, martial arts is my life). The test is May 8-12 (yes, it's a 5 day test!) and that has been my MAIN focus these days. This last month is going to especially be intense, but it's something that I know I am going to just tear it up.

Next, that thing called "Real Life"...two young kids, a wife and business. That alone eats up a GREAT deal of time and balancing all that PLUS my training has been a black belt test in itself.

Do I like seeing others in the vids? Well, I would prefer to be there but there truly is no way I can meet to film with Nova so it's pretty much a necessity to get things DONE. So what little time we have had has been used as diligent as possible, which is great.

So there you go. Once my test is done, I will be able to breathe and get back in the groove of things saber combat wise (we have lots of plans for sabercombat.com) so until then I will continue to be involved as much as humanly possible (which isn't much).

Thanks heavens for Novastar! The amazing and incredible amount of work he has done on EVERY aspect of this project is truly to be commended!! Without him, I highly doubt NCSCS would get done the way it has.

Anyways, in the words of Chuin, the reigning Master of Sinanju (Destroyer Series peeps will get that reference).

I remain.

Offline Novastar

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
NCSCS OFFICIAL 5.4.2012 DVD2 RELEASE TEASER!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7ZrmW-5bVs

Totally live now... :)  MAY THE FOURTH BE WITH YOU!!!

Feel free to share with whomever you think would enjoy such incredible saber insanity... martial arts... choreography... Tricking... and all-things L.E.D. saber!

Thanks again to everyone who has supported us over the past few years!  Some of you have "been here" since DVD1 (even though NCSCS F-Book didn't go live until 2011)... so again, THANK YOU!

My special thanks to every single person/entity involved in getting DVD2 done as well... this doesn't just mean the 4-5 people you see in front of the camera.  We had musicians... camera operators... facility owners/managers... and many other helping hands!

So... as we say in our original intro video... sit back--but be READY--to enjoy NCSCS!!

--Novastar & Caine

Click here.

Offline C-3P0

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
Nice video! Man that second disarm with the spin BLEW MY MIND!! :o

retrousse