fiduciary

Author Topic: Questions on Protective Padding for Dueling  (Read 2199 times)

Offline JGM

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
Questions on Protective Padding for Dueling
« on: March 14, 2016, 01:22:43 PM »
Hi,

Brand new member to the forum, but have been a general lurker for some time.

Since about December, I've been going to my area's dueling classes. Everything's going fine, but some of the instructors and students (myself included) started talking about additional or better padding now that we're all no longer very timid about hitting or being hit.

Lacrosse gloves are looking like the baseline for hands, but something we discussed was collarbone/clavicle protection. I've found some athletic shirts on Amazon with impact foam sewn on I'm looking to buy, but I wanted to see if anyone had opinions or proven solutions here.

I also ordered some impact foam sheets supposedly used in lacrosse and hockey gear to look into making bracers/upper arm protection.

Thanks, and MTFBWY

JGM

Offline Tanqster

• No Force
Re: Questions on Protective Padding for Dueling
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 08:09:51 PM »
Lacrosse chest/shoulder pads are good enough for most things. I'd be a bit wary about those impact foam shirts. If you get them, I would definitely test them thoroughly before using them in uncontrolled sparring situations. More expensive are motocross jackets. Gambesons for HEMA are also an option.

Offline JGM

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 07:48:11 AM »
I was wary to put an Amazon link, because on another forum I've joined I was electronically wrist-smacked for linking to an online store.  I could also just link the image.

Looking online, a sleeveless gambeson would serve my purposes just fine, and be comfortably in-budget.  But I am inclined to at least purchase and try out the athletic shirts.  I would consider our classes controlled, but I'm also going to discuss it with the main instructor Friday before I move forward with anything.

Thanks for your thoughts, Tanqster!

Offline Kappy79

• Force User
  • "...." - Luke Skywalker ,TFA
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 06:52:57 PM »
Any updates on what you tried? Did anything work out?

retrousse