fiduciary

Author Topic: The FIRST YODA force-fx review by YODA  (Read 59775 times)

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MERIDIAN
The FIRST YODA force-fx review by YODA
« on: January 17, 2007, 08:00:17 PM »
Hello everyone, guess where I went today... that's right Master Replicas Headquarters.
Upon arriving at Master Replicas I was again greeted by everyones favorite customer service representative Amy Blanchard.
I again had a chance to meet with to other great gentlemen, Keith Bornholtz and Travis Allen. With whom I discuss some more future Ideas but that's another story for another time.

So now... on to the First Review of the new Yoda Force FX-Lightsaber Replica

Star Wars, Episode II: Attack of the Clones - YODA Force FX Lightsaber Replica.

Since Yoda was created digitally for the prequel trilogy, his lightsaber was also a digital construct. And so, Lucasfilm once again granted Master Replicas engineers access to the ILM computer files and reference images, allowing for the creation of the most authentic, realistic Force FX lightsaber possible. While the Yoda Force FX Lightsaber is smaller than anything released to date – measuring roughly 33-inches (including the blade), versus average Force FX which measures 44 inches – remember, as Yoda taught us, “Size Matters Not!”

The Yoda Force FX features:

·        An enhanced glowing green blade with realistic power-up and power-down light effects. The power-up and power-down light effects are produced by a string of 64 super-bright LEDs that ignite sequentially inside the blade.
(prototype color is similar to Luke ROTJ but with better smoother diffusion)

·        Five motion sensor controlled sound effects digitally recorded from the movie: power-up, idle hum, swing, clash, and power-down.
(prototype inspected used the standard Jedi soundboard, though a new sound module may actually already be in the production models)

·        3 built-in motion sensors for super sensitivity: 2 for detecting movement and 1 for detecting the impact of the blade.
(prototype inspected using darth maul sized AAA battery pack, held in place by a traditional bottom loaded screw-in pommel)

·        A durable metal hilt looks and feels like a real lightsaber.
(prototype benefits from upgraded assembly practices, fabrication and metal quality similar to Darth Maul models.)
(The emitter shroud is a thick metal and as a formed piece is very well done and is a very high quality)

·        A sturdy blade is permanently attached to the hilt. 
(prototype inspected has a custom size blade that is thinner than the standard 1 inch blade, but is thicker than a 3/4)

The weapon of the Master Yoda – definitely worth adding to your collection! (scheduled to start shipping in March

Additional notes from YODA:
Upon first sight of the Saber, I was significantly more impressed with it than I was the Obi-wan, simply for the fit finish and materials used.
 It is a high quality piece similar and will remind many of the solid construction practices recently incorporated into the Darth Maul.
After handling the New FX, I would like to note that this particular model with it's smaller size and lighter weight can
actually be used for fencing maneuvers and would be well complimented by a Sidious Model of similar size and blade construction.

I already have a special place set-up and waiting to display my new Saber when it arrives.
MTFBWY
always
YODA

http://www.fx-sabers.com/YodaFX1.jpg
http://www.fx-sabers.com/YodaFX2.jpg
http://www.fx-sabers.com/YodaFX3.jpg
http://www.fx-sabers.com/YodaFX4.jpg

In closing we were happy to have been able to help Master replicas see the demand for this Saber and will continue
to provide our resources for future projects.
A special thanks goes out to Amy, Keith, Travis, Andrew and Michael  8)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 12:25:57 PM by Yoda »

Offline Cyano Khaar

• Experienced Force User
  • Feel the Force
Re: The FIRST YODA force-fx review by YODA
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 08:04:19 PM »
Nice. I have never liked the yoda saber, but the more FX saber the better. Nice review.

Offline Jaden Korr

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 08:04:57 PM »
WOW very impressive.

I am looking forward to this saber. Thanks for the recon yoda!

Offline benlurkin

• Master Force User
  • aka benlurkin
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 08:25:18 PM »
Quite the exclusive from our own wise Jedi Master.  I'm really impressed with the look of it, and the relative size compared to the Ani ROTS FX is remarkable.  It does look a bit bigger than the LE counterpart but that is to be expected.  Overall it looks amazing and has confirmed and intensified my excitement for the release.  ;D

Offline Darth Raijlin

• Great Sith Leader and Hero
  • Master Force User
  • Member of the Lost 10
    • White Dragon Academy
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 08:35:37 PM »
The best thing about this saber....it marks the future for a possibility of a Sidious Blade since the electronics are so small.  (prays for another Sith Blade to bring balance to the Force FX) 

:D

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 08:48:44 PM »
Quite the exclusive from our own wise Jedi Master.  I'm really impressed with the look of it, and the relative size compared to the Ani ROTS FX is remarkable.  It does look a bit bigger than the LE counterpart but that is to be expected.  Overall it looks amazing and has confirmed and intensified my excitement for the release.  ;D

Yes it was be fitting (and MR saw the relevance as well) to have Yoda do the FIRST Yoda fx review.

The best thing about this saber....it marks the future for a possibility of a Sidious Blade since the electronics are so small.  (prays for another Sith Blade to bring balance to the Force FX)

And they recognise the need for a Sidious to go with it but it's all in development time etc...

They would be perfect for a more foil/fencing style duel as I've pointed out ;)

I like it and I'm confident that even with the smaller blade, the Ultra optical film will still create a fully lit blade
for those future conversions it will bring.

Offline Darth Raijlin

• Great Sith Leader and Hero
  • Master Force User
  • Member of the Lost 10
    • White Dragon Academy
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 08:57:58 PM »
It's funny you mention the fencing style.  I'm trying to get started around here locally a "live action fighting" reenactment of Star Wars.  Kind of like what the SCA did in the 70's with medieval reenactment.

My friends and I, utlizing our knowledge of fencing and heavy combat in the SCA, are trying to hammer out safety rules.  What "armor" requirements would be for protection, and whatnot.

The SCA started as a small group of people in Berkley, CA who wanted to reenact like the Renaissance Faire, but have non-rehearsed, live fighting.  Now...it's a world-wide organization.

I think that I may pick up a Yoda just to look at the options since it does have a thinner blade.  This might help with the "safety' factor.

Here's what the heavy fighting looks like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xNQz2T6xnc

Fencing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPyS3nXrMB0

Now imagine something like that....except with Lightsabers!  Now...that's not even getting into the "starlight tournies" we have!

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 09:06:27 PM »
Great Review master yoda!!I've preordered mine!!That saber looked awesome!!BTY Did they tell you anything on your job maybe there or not? DaJoQuim

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 09:10:20 PM »
Yes I see 8)

Corbin and I have actually talked about similar things and it is what in choreography
is considered "free fighting"

As long as you know all the basic blocks, and attacks then may like to free fight because
it will help enhance your hand eye coordination in a combat scenario.

I've done this with most all the samurais I have around the house that have their edges smoothed
but because you can still get deep gashes in the metal it is dangerous with out some protection or armor.

Good training it is and it is much safer with Luxeon converted FX's.
and a bit less brutal :D

I feel that there will be much dueling to be had at C4 this year ;D
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 11:20:56 PM by Yoda »

Offline AAYLA SECURA

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2007, 09:18:25 PM »
Wow, most interesting! Thanks for the scoop, Yoda. That's very cool that you got to go back there. :)

I'm very curious about the sound module. If the production models have the new sounds, that will be a very good thing that'll make me more excited about this release. For now, though, I'm going to have to hold off on it, as I have some mods I'm planning to do on my car in the near future.
Hasbro Signature Series
Luke Skywalker ANH with Removable Blade
Obi-Wan Kenobi ROTS with Removable Blade
Darth Maul TPM with Removable Blade
Kit Fisto AOTC with Removable Blade
Luke Skywalker ROTJ

Offline Kyp Durron

• Master Force User
  • Member of the Lost 10
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2007, 09:23:52 PM »
This also means that they could do an Obi-Wan and Luke FX's with a thinner neck!

Great review, and you're right, the saber hilt is VERY well done indeed!

-Joclad

2010...I certainly hope it's better than 2009 was! ::)
10/10/10~Well, so far with my Father's passing away, I'd say that this year was actually worse than 2009, even the fact that I now have a full time job (For now) isn't anywhere near enough to make up for that...so...maybe 2011 will be better? I'm not holding my breath... ::)

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2007, 09:31:35 PM »
Great Review master yoda!!I've preordered mine!!That saber looked awesome!!BTY Did they tell you anything on your job maybe there or not? DaJoQuim

Thank you :) And I'm waiting for the Designer to get back from japan to talk with Him about the position
and I'm talking about other areas I would be of use to them as well.
I've shown them some BIG Ideas and will be going back there as soon as I can to talk more about it but
I need to finish a few things to bring back with me first so, if it is my destiny... I will do what I must ;)

Offline The Abbot

• Master of the Jar'Kai Style
  • Master Force User
  • Lajedi.com ,Force-Fx.com Founder
    • http://www.Force-Fx.com
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2007, 10:05:49 PM »
Nice review,great pics. :o
I wish you had took some video though.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 10:12:26 PM by KIT FISTO »
LaserBlade:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/laserblade/id608879483?mt=8

The poster formerly known as Kit Fisto. Creator of the Force-FX sig style. Master of the 2 saber staff style way before Pong Krell

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2007, 10:15:57 PM »
I gotta leave something for others to do when they start shipping and people get theirs ;)

Offline WEDGE ANTILLES

• formerly known as Cobalt60
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • May the LAG be with you
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2007, 10:28:25 PM »

Thank you :) And I'm waiting for the Designer to get back from japan to talk with Him about the position
and I'm talking about other areas I would be of use to them as well.
I've shown them some BIG Ideas and will be going back there as soon as I can to talk more about it but
I need to finish a few things to bring back with me first so, if it is my destiny... I will do what I must ;)

what they need are new product lines. (not just new products)
the LE line is near the end of its possibilites,  because all the props from the main characters have already been done.
they're talking about 'EU' props and 'Jedi council' sabers (etc) because thats all there is left to make.
meanwhile the CE line was cancelled because that upset a bunch of LE owners who wanted their prop to "never be made again" (as promised).
so they're to the point now where 90% of the "main character" props have been done as LE's and can never be made again (not even as CE's)..
..so there's nothing left for the fan to buy anymore.

in a way MR kind of 'blew their load' by making limited editions of 500 units 5 years ago on props that which they promised would "never be made again" and now they can't even release CE versions for legal reasons anymore.

--> I think a great new product line would be "Jedi Utility Belt" complete with a CE-quality saber attached to the belt.
with food capsules and leather belt pouches and everything. the belt could sell for $300
and would provide an excuse to go back and reissue some of the most popular Hero Sabers that guys like me can no longer buy even if we wanted to
(because MR made limited editions of 500 units 5 years ago and now they can't remake the same props for legal reasons. LOL)

ie: it wouldn't really be a CE "saber prop", per se.... the CE would be an accessory on the "Utility Belt prop"
(so even if its the same saber,  technically speaking,   its NOT a reissue of the discontinued LE version)

possible variant products :  Obiwan and Quigon (TPM); Obiwan,anakin, mace (AOTC); obiwan, anakin (ROTS); Obiwan, Luke, stormtrooper,
Han gunbelt, Chewie bandolier (ANH); Luke, Han (ESB).. etc.. (the luke and han ESB would be gunbelts).

the possibilities are HUGE.

thats the kind of ideas you need to bring to the table.

think BIG, baby!  :D yeah!

-=======-

p.s: did I ever tell you, a few years ago I Emailed MR and told them to make helmets?
-->  about 8 months later they announced the first ones.  :D I can only hope I had something to do with it. 
(just like a dozen other guys who probably sent the same Email LOL)    ;P

« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 10:42:04 PM by Cobalt60 »
"The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story.
Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned, and Luke doesn't get married..."
- George Lucas

retrousse