fiduciary

Author Topic: Build Your Own Powdercoating Oven Tutorial  (Read 1360 times)

Offline COUNT DOOKU

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • The Count formerly known as Sollus Vir
    • Calvary Custom Sabers
Build Your Own Powdercoating Oven Tutorial
« on: May 03, 2020, 04:01:58 PM »
Hey Saberland,

Recently, I’ve come to the place where I need a larger powder-coating oven for the various projects I’ve got outside of saber smithing. (Restoring vintage tackle/tool boxes) While Toaster ovens may meet your powdercoating needs, I wanted to share this tutorial/build log on how I’m building my own powdercoating oven just in case you need something... bigger.  :cool:

Basically, building the oven is two parts
1. The Shell- which will be steel and insulation.
2. The Door- Using a latch, hinge, and fiberglass insulating strip.
3. The electronics, which essentially is just a heating element, controlled by a PID. We will add some indicator lights, temp probe, etc too.

Specs- This oven will have the following Specs.
- ~24”Lx24”Dx24”D
- 110V Power supply
- 6 Cubic feet of Baking Space. Google says for ovens, we need about 100 Watts per cubic foot for the heating element.

Parts List- I got most everything at Home Depot/Lowes
1. The Shell
- Sheet Metal. I’ve bought 24x24, and 24x48
- Steel bar stock
- Fiberglass insulation
- Lots of Pop Rivets (how we will attach the metal to the bar stock)
- Aluminum Angle Stock
- Red High Temp Sealant
- Steel Screws

2. The Door
- More Sheet metal and Bar Stock
- Fiberglass flat Gasket Replacement Kit
- Latch Action Toggle Clamp
- You could install high temp glass if you wanted.

3. The Electronics
- Inkbird PID controller Kit
- 14 Gauge Wire
- Indicator LED
- Heating Element- I’m using an  oven replacement. A heater coil is simply just a resistive load. A 220V rated Element being run at 110V creates ~1/4 power. So, in theory, this should pull ~6 Amps, and provide 650Watts of power. btw- please tell me if my maths are wrong.
- Latching Toggle Switch
- Wire ties and Spade Connectors

We are going to walk though assembly and wiring of everything in the next couple weeks! Here are some pics of everything laid out. Once the welding rods are ready for pickup, we will start getting it put together!

UPDATE #2

Was able to make considerable progress worth posting an update about over the past few months. I'm a slow welder.

Here are the Frames- The Front and Back. Decided to do 18"x24" simply because it was a more reasonable size. I Bought a $89 Stick Welder off of Amazon, and using a 15A Fuse... no problems as of yet.

Here are the four support bars. Welding these to the frames was pretty tricky. All in all about 1/4" off in terms of Crookedness of the box. Not great, but works just fine for our application.

Here is the Frame Box all together. Sheet metal Bent and tested here to ensure fit.

Inner Sheet Metal fitted and inside the frame. Riveted in place.

Remaining sheet metal measured, bent, and riveted in place. You can see here I have a back piece fitted as well.

The back piece from the "outside" of the box. I will be putting insulation in all the recessed areas, then putting sheet metal on the outside as well.

Now that the inner shell is all in place, time to seal it up with some high-temp gasket sealant. It will do.

Last update here for today- made a mount for the heating element I bought at Home Depot. Soldered High-temp Wires on the Oven Pegs, and will be mounting it in the base. Wires will run outside of the insulation to the PID controller on top.

To come next, We will get the Thermostat, heating element, andPID enclosure wired/made/ Mounted. Then, seal it up with the shell. Then will be making the door, and the feet stands as well. Finally, we will program the PID for a set temp and hope it all works!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 04:22:53 PM by COUNT DOOKU »

Pass on what you have learned. Strength. Mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. We are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters. ~Master Yoda~

Offline Nemezis

• Padawan Learner
  • Hello there..
Re: Build Your Own Powdercoating Oven Tutorial
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2020, 05:43:13 AM »
hello Dooku..
Any news from that project? seems quite promising.

Offline COUNT DOOKU

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Calvary Custom Sabers
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2020, 06:34:25 AM »
Thanks for checking in Nemezis. I project slow, lol. This Thanksgiving weekend will probably have more progress to share!

Pass on what you have learned. Strength. Mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. We are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters. ~Master Yoda~

Offline Nemezis

• Padawan Learner
  • Hello there..
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2020, 07:32:39 AM »
Can't wait to see the project going on.  :cool:

Offline COUNT DOOKU

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Calvary Custom Sabers
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2020, 04:24:31 PM »
First Post Updated. Slow and steady- isn't that what they say?

Offline Nemezis

• Padawan Learner
  • Hello there..
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2020, 03:55:21 AM »
Nice work. Seems promising!!.. Can't wait for Episode 3.
Thanks for sharing your work.

retrousse