fiduciary

Author Topic: Tri cree or quad cree?  (Read 7784 times)

Offline IceSaber

• Experienced Force User
  • Midi-chlorians..
Tri cree or quad cree?
« on: February 19, 2016, 07:13:02 AM »
Hi, I know there are Quad Rebel and Tri Cree LED's but I also noticed someone say they used Quad Cree RGRbW with a colour extender. I'm not sure if its correct but if it is can anybody explain how it would be better or worse than a Tri?

Thank you
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 07:15:51 AM by IceSaber »

Offline Sethski

• Master Force User
Re: Tri cree or quad cree?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 07:54:44 AM »
Yep, there'd be pros and cons.

As I see it, pros of a quad over a tri would be:

1) For the RGRbW set up you mention, a brighter, more dramatic Flash on Clash/Lockup from the aditional white (I think it'd also be possible to use an XP-L for the white, which is brighter but a bit more current hungry).
2) Slightly brighter for a single colour saber e.g. GGGW, BBBW, etc
3) Option of RGRbRb, as the Rb is a bit dimmer to the eye in the mix, having two could allow for being a bit brighter across the range of colours that mix Rb with another, like a purple mixing RbRb and R.

...and pros of a tri over a quad:

1) Less power consumption
2) On the tri PCBs, the LEDs are a bit closer together (and I think narrower focus optics are widely available, but might be wrong on this), so arguably get more brightness per LED. Most folks who've done side by side comparisons seem to find that the extra die doesn't make for an especially noticeable difference in brightness.
3) Simpler install and straightforwardly compatible with a wider range of boards and batteries.

Offline IceSaber

• Experienced Force User
  • Midi-chlorians..
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 08:01:48 AM »
Thanks, thats good info. I can't find the Quad Cree on TCSS. I assume its brighter than a rebel.

Offline Sethski

• Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 08:23:04 AM »
Only place I know of for quad Crees is ledsupply.com

Offline Elim Vos

• Master Force User
  • doing what is necessary is not always right
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 10:26:15 AM »
Here is a link to 2 styles of Quad-crees available at Ledsupply,

Cree XML - RGBW Star LED
If you read the description, it list the max mA as 1000mA each and has a smaller lens profile.

Cree MCE - RGBW High Power LED
The max mA for this one is limited to 700mA each and has a larger lens profile.

I've never used ether, but I'm sure there is someone on the forum who has, if they would like to chime in that would be great.

Elim
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 10:55:20 AM by Elim Vos »
"In the Light, I have Balance. In the Darkness, I am Free"

Offline Don

• Force User
    • Ludosport Lightsaber Combat Academy
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 06:15:05 AM »
I used both MCE and XML.

MCE is quite an old LED and I won't suggest using use today unless you already have it in you hands.
It has a large dome, requires a dedicated optic and looks dimmer respect other solutions.

XML is newer in design, I believe the development timeframe falls between XP-E and XP-E2.
Its dome is smaller than MCE and can accept standard 8.7 degrees lense normally available at TCSS.

Actually one of my two sabers is equipped with an XML in a NB v2 RGB + FoC setup and I'm definitely satified.

Master Sabersmith at the Ludosport Lightsaber Combat Academy Italy

Offline Derro Kuspin

• Force User
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 09:07:06 PM »
I would like to throw in another one: the LED Engin LZ4-20MD00 10W RGBW (mounted on standard star). This one can be driven with up to 1200 mA (1500 peak pulse).
Has anyone ever tried to set up one of those with a CF/PC with CEX and 7,4V battery pack and can tell, if it is significantly brighter than a Cree XM-L RGBW?
I'm only asking, because there is a significant difference between those two - the price!  :cheesy: Especially here in Germany, where we have to pay ridiculously high shipping costs for the LED Engin stuff (via Mouser).

Offline Don

• Force User
    • Ludosport Lightsaber Combat Academy
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 12:21:42 AM »
The simple fact that being in Germany you can buy an XML for 11,90€ at Lumitronix with small delivery fees should steer you directly on it respect the LedEngin  :angel:

Apart from financial reasons, in the past I had some problems with color separation in RGB setup, which I solved using frosted lenses in place of the standard clear ones. With the XML I never had the issue.

Regarding brightness I believe they are pretty similar in performances but have no way to compare.
An additional note is that the LedEngin dissipate a lot of heat, when I had one in my saber I could feel the hilt warming up my gloves.

With setups where you want to have 2 or more dies of the same color I believe the best solution remains the TriCree.
Suffice to say that I replaced the LedEngin RGGB in my main saber with a TriCree GGW long time ago.
Master Sabersmith at the Ludosport Lightsaber Combat Academy Italy

Offline Derro Kuspin

• Force User
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 06:15:25 AM »
The simple fact that being in Germany you can buy an XML for 11,90€ at Lumitronix with small delivery fees should steer you directly on it respect the LedEngin  :angel:

That's really funny - not 10 minutes before reading your post, I did just that and ordered two XM-L RGBW and matching lenses from Lumitronix...  :cheesy:

Thank you for the tip anyway!  :smiley:
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 06:17:05 AM by Derro Kuspin »

Offline KamiKuzi

• Padawan Learner
  • Crazy german electrical engineer dude
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 02:33:51 AM »
I wanted to write something a few days ago, but I forgot...  :cry:

Lumitronix rocks! I always get all my LEDs from there.

I also used the MC-E in an earlier build and switched to the XM-L recently.
But I got a 22mm 16° lens from Farnell for the XM-L, because Lumitronix only has 35mm lenses.
Using the correct lens is most important! They are optimized for the LED's specific focus point, etc...
The RGB mixing of the XM-L with that lens is pretty much flawless.

With the MC-E in the other saber I can always see the colors seperated at the bottom of the blade...

Concerning brightness they're comparable, though I find it hard to tell anyway just by looking...
While testing my last saber I couldn't see any major increase in brightness above 500mA.
You can't break a physical law...

Offline Rysandro

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2016, 03:17:28 PM »
I have  quad Cree XPE2,  20mm copper star. 

Only problem is that it still uses a 24mm lens,  so you have to glue down the lens to the star on the feet.  And likely need to not use a top housing,  just use a bottom heatsink.  Or turn the heatsink/holder upside down and use it that way.

Offline Wickedreamz

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2016, 07:26:32 PM »
Good source for Cree Quad Rebel LED stars | Imperial Royal Arms

How to order quad crees from Ledsupply. 4th post down

retrousse