fiduciary

Author Topic: How would you rate ESB?  (Read 23883 times)

Offline Ki-Adi

• Cerean
  • Master Force User
  • Homeplanet; Cerea
How would you rate ESB?
« on: March 07, 2006, 07:54:18 AM »
I gave ESB a 10!!! This one is my favourite out of all of them.
"Impossible, the Sith have been extinct for a millennium."- Ki-Adi-Mundi

Offline Jaden Korr

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
Re: How would you rate ESB?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 08:07:15 AM »
wow ki i too gave this one a 10, it is my favorite. This is my favorite lightsabe duel of the OT and second overall just under Anakin vs Obi Wan

Offline Ki-Adi

• Cerean
  • Master Force User
  • Homeplanet; Cerea
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 08:11:24 AM »
Ya this lightsaber duel I thought was better then ROTJ. It showed how much Luke has progressed. Plus the biggest twist, hoth, dagobah. Come on it has everything. I love bespin. haha

Offline Jaden Korr

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 08:14:57 AM »
ya bespin is soo cool i do that board the most on Jedi Outcast cuz i think its the perfect setting for a saber duel, they really need to remake the OT games imagine how cool they could make em now

Offline Ki-Adi

• Cerean
  • Master Force User
  • Homeplanet; Cerea
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 08:21:31 AM »
Ya I know what you mean. I want them to make more star wars games. I have never played outcast. But back to ESB. This one is my favourite and I love the classic blue vs red. The way vader pops out of no where sometimes in their fight. Like did he hold his breath? I mean anyone would be able to hear him sneaking up with that loud breathing hahaha.

Offline Jaden Korr

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006, 08:23:44 AM »
yaaa, and that freezing room was just the perfect stage for that lightsaber duel it was just darkk so all you could really see was the sabers it was soo cool, and when vader started throwing things at luke with force coooool.

Offline Ki-Adi

• Cerean
  • Master Force User
  • Homeplanet; Cerea
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006, 08:27:08 AM »
hahaha I made my dad laugh at that part. Luke kept swinging his saber and missing the things that were being thrown at him. I said "wow he must suck at baseball." hahaha

Offline PADME AMIDALA

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2006, 08:47:23 AM »
I gave this a 10, it's my favourite.
The best out of all 6 star wars movies.

Offline Timmy-Wan Kenobi

• AKA Timmy-Wan Kenobi
  • Master Force User
  • Let the Wookiee win
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2006, 09:02:23 AM »
Another 10.
That would seem about right, it would be difficult for me to choose between ANH and ESB.
The Battle of Hoth- fantastic, thrilling battle to start the film off.
The 'I am you father' scene totally blew me away when I saw it as a kid. I think I had a harder time accepting the truth than Luke did.

Offline Ki-Adi

• Cerean
  • Master Force User
  • Homeplanet; Cerea
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2006, 09:07:01 AM »
Ya haha. I love that part. I was too young to remember that. I watched these when I was like 4. I remember images from them. But I don't remember my reaction to that part. haha

Offline Darthirishman

• Master Force User
  • They used to call me Sifo-Dyas
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2006, 09:55:17 AM »
Best Ep ever period
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.  Then go find the person who has vodka and have a party

Offline WEDGE ANTILLES

• formerly known as Cobalt60
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • May the LAG be with you
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2006, 10:55:39 AM »
Irvin Kirshner was a brilliant director.  he was the (only?) reason that the Yoda puppet "worked" onscreen.  he never shoved the camera right in the puppet's face and expected it to to do any "acting" (like Lucas in Episode 1).  the camera never lingered; the puppet almost never completes a full line of dialog with its mouth showing; the camera always shoots "around" the puppet and never straight "at" it.  its brilliant.

same with the Han/Leia scene on Bespin right before they get taken to Vader.  brilliant.  as if these two characters can't quite look each other in the eye... the dialog unfolds as the camera peers in from the ceiling and moves around the room.  its doesn't sit motionless right up in the actor's faces so every line of dialog is a close-up. 
like Lucas in.. etc.. etc.. hehe. 

and the screenplay was also brilliant.   Leigh Bracket for tehWiN.   Best. Screenplay. Ever. 

when I saw the "I am your father" scene it hit me like a hammer.  I was numb.  I was (literally) bumping into stuff on the way out of the theater. I could barely function.

ever since then I've been like a sponge for the Star Wars movies. 

thats when I became a hopeless fan(atic).

unfortunately, I haven't enjoyed a Star Wars in the same way since.   and now they're all done.  ???

after ESB,  Star Wars just wasn't the same.   
the success of the Yoda puppet seemed to encourage George to fill the entire next movie with puppets.  probably because he thought they would "work" onscreen, like Yoda did in (Kirshner's) ESB.  but these were not cool-looking 'ultra-realistic' puppets operated by masters of the art (like Frank Oz) and filmed by a brilliant director (like Kirshner).  these were silly-looking muppets like Salacious Crumb and Admiral Ackbar and that big blue "shmoo-thing" playing the bagpipes (wtf?).

oh, and the robot in Jabba's dungeon, he was the worst:  "..ever since our master got angry with our last protocol droid and dismembered him.." with the camera lingering RIGHT ON ITS FACE the whole time.       
((opposite-of-brilliant))  ::)

point is, the success of ESB seemed to give George a lot more freedom to inject his own personality into the next ones (ie: to be 'cute and funny' in a 1950's/bugs-bunny/kind-of-way)  ::)

but at heart,  George's  "1950's-style"  sense of humor/drama/timing..  well.. it really.. just doesn't work for STAR WARS.   (sorry George)

I know Star Wars is supposed to be all about "George Lucas' Vision" but..   I think I'm starting to realise..   I actually fell in love with the work of Leigh Bracket and Irvin Kirshner
(based on characters created by George Lucas).  heh :/

ESB defined "Star Wars" for me.     best. episode. ever.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2006, 11:02:27 AM by Cobalt60 »
"The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story.
Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned, and Luke doesn't get married..."
- George Lucas

Offline Jaden Korr

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2006, 11:10:40 AM »
Shoulda been:
STAR WARS and Irvin kershner filme based on the writings of George Lucas

Offline WEDGE ANTILLES

• formerly known as Cobalt60
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • May the LAG be with you
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2006, 11:21:23 AM »
I can't say enough about Kershner.  he was awesome.  after ESb they gave him blank check and told him to pick his next project. he wanted to do a James Bond movie with Sean Connery, which, at the time, was pretty much impossible because Roger Moore had the contract and Connery hadn't played Bond in fifteen years.   but they made it happen.  "Never say Never again".   it was released at the same time as Octopussy (and it made Octopussy look stupid ) ;D
« Last Edit: March 07, 2006, 11:23:44 AM by Cobalt60 »
"The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story.
Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned, and Luke doesn't get married..."
- George Lucas

Offline Jaden Korr

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2006, 11:31:16 AM »
soo what was Kershners role after ESB and in the PT?

retrousse