fiduciary

Author Topic: How would you rate ANH?  (Read 34312 times)

Offline Timmy-Wan Kenobi

• AKA Timmy-Wan Kenobi
  • Master Force User
  • Let the Wookiee win
Re: How would you rate ANH?
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2006, 02:07:37 AM »
Interesting, Ki-Adi, I've heard a lot of people say that they found the beginning of ANH boring, and that nothing happens until about halfway through.
But I'm with you, man, I love all the Tatooine stuff.

Offline ani104

• Master Force User
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2006, 11:54:33 PM »
I loved the start, it was cool seeing the life of Luke and stuff like that  :)

BTW I rated it 10, it was Da' Bomb if you ask me  :D

Offline The Professor

• Experienced Force User
  • "I will do what I must"
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2006, 01:59:32 PM »
Oh gosh, haha, this movie is a straight 10 without question.  That's an immediate fact.  It doesn't even require mine or anybodys opinion to be a 10 anyway.  I mean if you rate this movie anything less than a 10 than you really haven't thought it through.  Because this is where it all began.  It meaning this site, our FX sabers, the whole Star Wars everything!  Where would all that be if this movie wasn't made?  This "IS" Star Wars, the upmost original it doesn't get anymore original than this film.  So next time you take a look at your FX you gotta remember this movie is to thank because it's the first time we ever even got to see a lightsaber period.   These simple facts make this movie uncomparable.  But when it comes to a movie quality standpoint it may not be the best...But who cares back then is was the best there was...lol...What this first iconic movie has started makes this movie Supreme above the others nuff said.
"I don't believe it." -Luke Skywalker
"That is why you fail." -Yoda

Offline The Professor

• Experienced Force User
  • "I will do what I must"
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2006, 02:43:13 PM »
So what it would've taken 18 years instead??? hahahaha I didn't like how there was an imperial senate. I mean if they made ANH now. After ROTS then vader and palpatine would've been ruling and would need no senate.

Well you have to remember that this was the first time doing this type of project so of course it's going to take some time.  But once you learn how to do something one way you start to notice that the second time you can do it more efficiently and alot faster.  So by the time the second death star was thought about the empire already had an idea because they had made one before.  And they refined the process of making it also so that's why it was made bigger than the first one and why they were able to make it operational so quickly.
"I don't believe it." -Luke Skywalker
"That is why you fail." -Yoda

Offline djforce

• Master Force User
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2006, 11:00:13 AM »
They wasted all there time in the Death Star, and only about 45 min. do you see them in another place. Maybe 50 min.

Offline TheNewWinduMaster

• Experienced Force User
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2006, 09:18:33 PM »
10 10 10 10 10. As the Professor said, it started everything. This film founded the Star Wars galaxy and idea.
"The abilitiy to destroy a planet is insignificant to the power of the force."- Sith Lord Darth Vader, Ep IV

"When I left you I was but the learner, now I am the master."- Sith lord Darth Vader, Ep IV.

"In the name of the Imperial Galactic Senate, you are under arrest."- Jedi Master Mace Windu, Ep III

Offline Irkis Clag

• Force User
  • You were to destroy the sith not join them!!!!!!
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2006, 11:27:09 AM »
i gave ANH an 6 it needs to redone a little ;)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 11:29:09 AM by Irkis Clag »

Offline Vosk

• formerly known as BigT1981
  • Master Force User
  • I do not forgive, or forget...master.
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2006, 07:47:11 PM »
I gave ANH a 7. I thought it was good. But it wasn't my favourite.

My thoughts exactly.

Offline Cyano Khaar

• Experienced Force User
  • Feel the Force
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2007, 08:14:24 PM »
^I agree.

7, not the best. ESB really improves over it. Still a classic and great movie though.

Offline PRINCESS LEIA

• Her Worshipfulness
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Well,Somebody has to save our skins!!
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2007, 08:22:14 PM »
8 It laid the groundwork for the others.ESB improves it a great deal if it was the only SW movie.I would give it a 10

The ability to speak does not make you intelligent-now get outta here
I'm out of it a little while and everyone has delusions of granduer

Offline Phiily Manyaan

• No Force
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2007, 05:26:19 PM »
You have to give it a 10.  C'mon it's Star Wars OT...the best thing ever!  We can all have our complaints about boring parts, mismatching scenes, etc...but remember, Lucas HATED ANH when he released it.  He nearly died making it, he stressed himself out so much that his blood pressure skyrocketed and he may have even had a small heart attack, I don.t remember at the moment.  The only reason ESB and ROTJ can be called "better" is because Lucas promised himself he would not release another movie if it turned out like ANH did.  We all love it.

Offline Mason Fett

• No Force
  • Hi everyone. The force isn't with me at the moment
    • Myspace (RPG)
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2008, 12:36:12 AM »
All around, it was one of my favorites, but it had it's flaws of course.

I give it an 8/10.

Offline Jasher Kain

• Master Force User
  • A Knight of the Old Republic
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2009, 10:58:42 PM »
~6~

All right. Hate me. But this was a boring movie.
Sure it was the birth of the Star Wars saga. Sure it was a revolution in special effects and movie making.
But it was slow.
C-3PO in the desert, Uncle Owen droid shopping, doddling on the Falcon, sitting around the Death Star (if you want more, I got 'em)

Once Leia was rescued, it started to pick up...started. But it's a difficult watch for me, and I consider myself a diehard fan. :-\

Redeeming points: dialogue, introduction of characters, how even after the PT every scene still has profound meaning, Vader-Kenobi duel, attack on the Death Star.

Offline Juansith

• Master Force User
  • The Leeroy Jenkins of the bidding wars
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2009, 09:48:23 AM »
i have to agree that my favorite stuff is the Tatooine part. Is the Threshold of the hero, how can that be boring?. Is where we identify ourselves  with Luke having in common our desires for adventure,of greatness,of power... after realizing we are just farmers..in a small  corner of the universe.

I gave him a 9, first because ESB is the only 10 that can be, and second, is the fact that i see in ANH a lot of Kurosawa and the Robin Hood adventures ,it has so many influences that i cannot ignore them,even if i try.

Its one of those films where you see a detail or a scene and go "oh i know where they got this from,thats from 2001,or this is taken from Hidden fortress,or from the wild buch or from the Dambustes,or the 633 squadron.

That takes me out of the movie experience a bit because i feel like dejavu and this kind of gives away the plot because you start predicting how everything is going to end up ( one example,in Lord of The rings The fellowship of The Ring,  Gandalf being dropped by the balrog to the pit, before he looks at Frodo and speaks "run you fools",Gandalf falls to de void ,giving a "fake impression of his death",Frodo desperate for the loss.Is the same as Obi Wan looking at Luke before Vader strikes him to death,Luke screaming and after he hears ObiĀ“s voice "Run,Luke,run", but since you detected the main influence,now you know Obi-Wan will return,maybe not as matter,but he Will be seen again).

Im not saying ANH  its not a work of art.But Instead, ESB is THE INFLUENCE, i dont see any aspect of ESP which is not "original",except Bespin which was first seen in Flash Gordon,But aside of that, Empire is the standard for everything that will be attempted in the future.I dont assume to know anything but  to me,  ANH was an adventure collage,was the gathering of the collective Unconscious. But Empire Strikes Back IS Star Wars.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 10:12:04 AM by Juansith »

Offline Aurora Skywalker

• Force User
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2009, 09:22:32 PM »
I rated it a 9.....  I thought it was excellent and Industrial Light and Magic's innovations in special effects came about because of ANH.... leaping light years in the special effects industry!!!  They had a low budget to work with and overcame many obstacles while working on this.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 09:31:17 PM by Aurora Skywalker »

retrousse