fiduciary

Author Topic: How to use a momentary switch with a latching sound board.  (Read 27517 times)

Offline xwingband

• Experienced Force User
Re: How to use a momentary switch with a latching sound board.
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2010, 11:56:46 AM »
Greenveg, I certainly do think it matters, but for this specific LED keychain linked seems to be working.  Maybe that's the issue, Eastern has certainly tried this with MR boards and that particular keychain.  So I agree, if you know a similar product you have that has PWM and it acting weirdly, the PWM is probably causing it.

Luminara, the input is probably out of the puck's range for what it wants to see.  That's why initial I said a power extender or relay.

Offline Greenveg

• No Force
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2010, 04:10:19 PM »
Ok, no I get where you were going, and yes, thats kinda what I meant.
The thing is that I have two similar "boards" (what would you call theses litthe thingys?) that look very alike and, on bikelamp and one keychain-thingy and both uses PWM.

I like the fact that the simplest way of testing it is to swing them around in circles.

*going off spinning poi*

However, a similar thing popped up on the TCSS board recently, TroyO found a little circuit that did just this, but capable of bigger loads.
Up to 20V and "several amps".

http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/750

Offline Caine

• Kwai Chang Caine master of duel-fu
  • Master Force User
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2010, 02:18:53 AM »
OK, now as I try to wire this, I am finding it VERY difficult to get the solder to stick to certain areas of the board. Does someone suggest just sanding it more, or would soldering paste help?

Offline Darth Inferis

• Master Force User
  • UK sabersmith
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2010, 02:39:42 AM »
OK, now as I try to wire this, I am finding it VERY difficult to get the solder to stick to certain areas of the board. Does someone suggest just sanding it more, or would soldering paste help?

Greetings amigo! This very subject cropped up on page 2. Soldering paste is indeed your best bet.  ;)
Beware the Mark of the Gungan! :o

Offline CHEWBACCA

• JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MH
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2010, 04:50:25 AM »
yeah use flux and it will help it but its hard to say whither you should sand some more without seeing if you have a good sanded spot already.

Offline Caine

• Kwai Chang Caine master of duel-fu
  • Master Force User
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2010, 09:32:27 AM »
Perfect. Thank you all.

Offline Darth_Dadderall

• Force User
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2010, 03:45:43 PM »
Okay fellas. New question: What's the voltage/current across the MR switch path itself?

Offline CHEWBACCA

• Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MH
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2010, 12:09:20 PM »
Okay fellas. New question: What's the voltage/current across the MR switch path itself?
that depends on the voltage you are supplying it.

Offline Darth_Dadderall

• Force User
« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2010, 01:13:43 PM »
Care to clarify? Say in this example I'm giving the board 4.8V off of NiMH 4pack.

Offline CHEWBACCA

• Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MH
« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2010, 05:59:17 PM »
Care to clarify? Say in this example I'm giving the board 4.8V off of NiMH 4pack.

I can't get any clearer.  It depends on how much voltage you give it.

Take a meter and read across it to see what it reads because that is the only way I know of right now to get the voltage.  I dont know a formula to give you to figure it out unfortunately.   

I don't believe it is supply voltage as its not directly connected to the + input (there are components it goes through before it gets to the switch +) but I may be wrong.

Just curious why you need to know.

Offline Darth_Dadderall

• Force User
« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2010, 07:41:21 PM »
I'll probably have to do that, when my batteries show up. (they're on order right now and I don't have any spare power supply to test with)

As for why: I am going to be using the momentary-tac-to-latching mod using a Dooku MR board, one of those little Lighthound PCBs, and a tac switch with a white accent LED in it (an illuminated tac switch.) Basically, I want to know if I can drive the accent LED using whatever power is passing across the switch circuit.

Offline Darth Inferis

• Master Force User
  • UK sabersmith
« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2010, 09:46:18 PM »
Okay I'm having problems with this. I'm sure I saw someone else post exactly the same problem but I can't find it now. I'm using a Luke ANH soundboard wired up to a Yoda battery plug. I followed the instructions on the photos on the first page to the letter. As soon as the batteries are in the saber activates and the switch does nothing. Any advice?

Update

Not to worry I figured out what I did wrong. I got the soundboard switch polarities the wrong way around. Doh!  :-[
Working perfectly now. Many thanks to eastern57 for sharing this invaluable information, to Vektor for providing the link to Deal Extreme & last but by no means least to Luminara for pointing out that Deal Extreme provides free international shipping.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 09:38:14 PM by Darth Inferis »
Beware the Mark of the Gungan! :o

retrousse