fiduciary

Author Topic: ISSUES WITH THE FORUM  (Read 53993 times)

Offline DARTH VADER

• SMF tech support
  • Board Moderator
  • Master Force User
    • Turtle Shell Productions
Re: ISSUES WITH THE FORUM
« Reply #300 on: July 12, 2015, 11:24:00 AM »
Did you, perchance, recently turn on "private browsing" in your browser?

Offline Wickedreamz

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #301 on: September 27, 2015, 08:46:49 AM »
What happened to the logout? Also, the tool bar at the top of the forum is missing some other things?

Offline DARTH VADER

• SMF tech support
  • Board Moderator
  • Master Force User
« Reply #302 on: September 27, 2015, 08:54:53 AM »
things are being worked on.

They should be resolved in 10 mins or so

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MERIDIAN
« Reply #303 on: September 27, 2015, 09:06:03 AM »
Hello everyone

As you can see Darth Vader is in the process of updating the forum, Please be patient while the
new images for the layout along with functions and settings get put into place ;)

We hope everyone will like the new look 8)

and of course a Big Thank you to Lord Vader for your help with this :)

MTFBWY
always
YODA

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MERIDIAN
« Reply #304 on: September 27, 2015, 09:10:13 AM »
and yes the recent posts should be view-able in the info center I'm sure He is working on it ;)

Offline anakin2000

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #305 on: January 12, 2016, 06:56:26 PM »
Hey, I'm having a hard time being able to view my sent messages? Is this normal or a problem? When i click on sent it shows I have sent, lets say, 35 emails but it doesn't allow me to view them. Was this done by design?

Offline DARTH VADER

• SMF tech support
  • Board Moderator
  • Master Force User
« Reply #306 on: January 12, 2016, 10:12:57 PM »
Well, first of all, the forum does not track emails... It only does what are called personal messages

Second, have you set your settings to save a copy of personal messages ?  If not, then the system will not save copies of them.
I just confirmed that it works fine for me,

Offline anakin2000

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #307 on: January 13, 2016, 12:57:26 PM »
Well, first of all, the forum does not track emails... It only does what are called personal messages

Second, have you set your settings to save a copy of personal messages ?  If not, then the system will not save copies of them.
I just confirmed that it works fine for me,
I should've been clearer i meant PM's, sorry.

I was not aware of that feature, thanks for pointing that out vader!!!! just changed it.

Offline roguegeek

• No Force
  • Do you like toast too?
    • Project: Rich
« Reply #308 on: January 13, 2016, 01:55:51 PM »
Simple Machines is just a REALLY bad forum engine. Archaic database structure. Lots of basic features that are missing. Poor API support. Poor mobile support. There's so many good ones out there with much better support and a much wider install like phpBB, MyBB, or vbulletin. Are there any plans to improve this or is Simple Machines something FX Sabers is looking to stick with for a while?

To be clear, this isn't meant as me upset with the community. On the contrary, the people here have been excellent. There are years and years of great information here. The problem is it's taking forever to data-mine and actually find it. Having a wealth of information is great, but if you can't actually find it or navigate it, you might as well have none.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 05:33:42 PM by roguegeek »

Offline DARTH VADER

• SMF tech support
  • Board Moderator
  • Master Force User
« Reply #309 on: January 14, 2016, 01:34:12 PM »
Simple Machines Forum is one of the BEST forum softwares out there...
it has the best security record of all of them... and almost any feature you THINK is missing can be added easily and quickly by the package manager mod system.
SMF also has a seriously impressive support community - so, I am not certain where you get the idea that other softwares have "better support" (while other softwares do also have excellent support, I am willing to compare SMF against them any day.

vbulletin is paid
phpBB, while decent, does not have the package manager -- and mods need to be manually installed by hacking the source directly.
myBB is not bad -- btu is far to simplistic, does not have the support community and does not have the extensions (mods) that SMF can do.

Oh yeah...  disclosure... I happen to be the Project Manager of the Simple Machines Forum project and the Vice President of the Simple Machines corporation. :P
(thus demonstrating the impressive support.)

Offline DARTH VADER

• SMF tech support
  • Board Moderator
  • Master Force User
« Reply #310 on: January 14, 2016, 01:44:45 PM »
I should've been clearer i meant PM's, sorry.

I was not aware of that feature, thanks for pointing that out vader!!!! just changed it.

Yeah, that feature is not immediately obvious.  The next version of SMF has that turned on by default. :)

Offline roguegeek

• No Force
  • Do you like toast too?
    • Project: Rich
« Reply #311 on: January 17, 2016, 10:18:38 PM »
Simple Machines Forum is one of the BEST forum softwares out there...
it has the best security record of all of them... and almost any feature you THINK is missing can be added easily and quickly by the package manager mod system.
SMF also has a seriously impressive support community - so, I am not certain where you get the idea that other softwares have "better support" (while other softwares do also have excellent support, I am willing to compare SMF against them any day.
No reason to be condescending. We can agree to disagree respectfully. I think it's a poor choice for all of the reasons I listed above.

Oh yeah...  disclosure... I happen to be the Project Manager of the Simple Machines Forum project and the Vice President of the Simple Machines corporation. :P
(thus demonstrating the impressive support.)
Well this makes sense then why there is a bias towards it. I can now see there is no point to having a discussion on this issue and, therefore, will refrain with anymore retort.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 10:28:51 PM by roguegeek »

Offline DARTH VADER

• SMF tech support
  • Board Moderator
  • Master Force User
« Reply #312 on: January 18, 2016, 10:42:24 AM »
Except that your reasons which you listed are actually incorrect.

SMF does not have an archaic database structure.
SMF does not have missing features. It has a very SIMPLE feature set for INTENTIONAL reasons -- and then has mods for almost any additional feature that is desired.
SMF has perfectly fine API and SSI support (although such is not needed on this site, so that is not actually a consideration.)
SMF 2.0 (default) theme is somewhat limited in the mobile/responsive design. True...  Although there is a mod which makes the Curve theme somewhat responsive... However, this site uses a fully responsive theme -- which means that your comment on mobile support is just plain wrong.
and... as already stated... SMF's support is actually very good. (heck, this site has the PM for SMF personally providing support!)
finally... while phpBB may have a wider install base - that does not make it "better". SMF has several features that phpBB is missing (like the package manager, which is huge) and SMF definitely has a wider install base than myBB (although, once again, more != better) (and vB is paid, so that should not enter into consideration - apples to pears)

In short -- there actually is not really any bias in my defense. All of the above statements are factual... and while you can have a disagreeing opinion, your opinion doesn't change the facts.

retrousse