fiduciary

Author Topic: What's your favorite OT lightsaber hilt?  (Read 27835 times)

Offline AAYLA SECURA

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
What's your favorite OT lightsaber hilt?
« on: May 05, 2009, 12:46:01 AM »
There were far fewer lightsaber hilts in the OT due to obvious reasons. Vote for your favorite one here. This poll includes only those lightsaber hilts that were seen in the films and does not include EU designs of any other sources. Most of the photos are from Luukessabers, a great reference site for all things lightsaber.

Darth Vader ANH

Luke Skywalker ANH

Obi-Wan Kenobi ANH

Luke Skywalker ESB

Darth Vader ESB

Luke Skywalker ROTJ

Darth Vader ROTJ

Hasbro Signature Series
Luke Skywalker ANH with Removable Blade
Obi-Wan Kenobi ROTS with Removable Blade
Darth Maul TPM with Removable Blade
Kit Fisto AOTC with Removable Blade
Luke Skywalker ROTJ

Offline Caine

• Kwai Chang Caine master of duel-fu
  • Master Force User
Re: What's your favorite OT lightsaber hilt?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 01:33:54 AM »
The Luke ROTJ V2 is my fav, hands down....no questions asked.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 10:41:34 PM by caine drathul »

Offline Hamill82

• under review
  • Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 02:03:38 AM »
I love these favourite topics, especially when it's about lightsabers  ;D. Luke Skywalker ROTJ definitely

Offline Jasher Kain

• Master Force User
  • A Knight of the Old Republic
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 02:40:19 AM »
Gotta go with the Graflex from ESB. It was the saber that made me fall in love with Star Wars.

Offline lordantwarrior

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 02:57:36 AM »
I like all the OT hilts, but in the end there are two which spring to mind: Luke ESB and Luke ROTJ.

In the end though I have to say Luke ROTJ, since I have always loved that bright green blade, which seems brighter than some of the PT green blades.

Offline AAYLA SECURA

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 03:13:25 AM »
I love these favourite topics, especially when it's about lightsabers  ;D.

Oh I agree. ;)

I like all the OT hilts, but in the end there are two which spring to mind: Luke ESB and Luke ROTJ.

In the end though I have to say Luke ROTJ, since I have always loved that bright green blade, which seems brighter than some of the PT green blades.

That's something I've noticed as well. The Luke ROTJ is super bright, which is awesome. By comparison, Qui-Gon's saber was pretty dull. The color got better in AOTC and ROTS, but I think Luke's is still the brightest. It's probably brighter than any other lightsaber in the series.

Gotta go with the Graflex from ESB. It was the saber that made me fall in love with Star Wars.

You know, I've always been torn between the Luke ANH and the Luke ESB. There's elements I like in the ANH over the ESB, yet there's some things about the ESB I prefer over the ANH. I came across this picture at Luukessabers.

It's actually an incorrect image as it shows the Luke ANH with the grips of the Luke ESB. You can see the rivets in the grips, which should not be there. That's why I used a different image in this poll. But, the funny thing is that this picture shows exactly the elements of both versions of this saber that I prefer... the single blade adjuster knob, the bubble strip, and the rivited grips. This would be my ideal Luke Skywalker Graflex lightsaber.
Hasbro Signature Series
Luke Skywalker ROTJ

Offline Orakaa

• Master Force User
  • I'll send you in hades... with a taste of paradise
    • Orakaa - photography and computer graphics
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 03:31:32 AM »
Compared to the Pre trilogy... and espacially to the designs created by sabersmiths here... Im' really not fond of the OT lightsabers

Orakaa - photographer, photoshop expert and graphic designer

Offline Hamill82

• under review
  • Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 03:36:34 AM »
Compared to the Pre trilogy... and espacially to the designs created by sabersmiths here... Im' really not fond of the OT lightsabers

Same here. These are classics by no means, A lot of nostalgy factors and respect toward OT lightsabers, but I happend to love PT saber designs a lot more. Many of these OT lightsabers were created out of already existing items and parts. It's the same with blasters and other stuff in the Original Trilogy. We also have to remember that the times were different, nowadays it's much easier & faster to create and design things with computers and such.

Offline AAYLA SECURA

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 03:45:48 AM »

Same here. These are classics by no means, A lot of nostalgy factors and respect toward OT lightsabers, but I happend to love PT saber designs a lot more. Many of these OT lightsabers were created out of already existing items and parts. It's the same with blasters and other stuff in the Original Trilogy. We also have to remember that the times were different, nowadays it's much easier & faster to create and design things with computers and such.

Very true. And if you buy into the theory that the galaxy we see in the OT is war-torn and run-down by the Empire, this makes sense along with the ships and weapons we see (except the Death Star) that seem inferior to ships and weapons in the prequels. So it all fits together in that sense. That being said, I also think PT sabers look better, but I still like the old ones too. The Luke ROTJ is probably the one that looks more like it would have been in the prequels than the other ones do.
Hasbro Signature Series
Luke Skywalker ROTJ

Offline wallcrawler

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 03:55:56 AM »
I love the OT hilts, Luke ESB for me is the ultimate lightsaber and like Jasher said it made me fall in love with star wars. The scene in the ice cave is especially a highlight that i always have fond memories of

That being said i love the prequal hilts as they ARE a more elegant weapon

Trainers ARE cool

Offline lordantwarrior

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 05:05:12 AM »
I agree too, that the sabers in the PT are more elegant, but it makes sense- those were the sabers at the height of the Jedi Order, where everything was a lot more... "ornate". I don't know how better do describe it, other than look at the Jedi temple, the Jedi Council chambers, the Senate hall; everything was"grand" and you really got a sense that THIS was the height of the republic, and the sabers had to match that.

The OT sabers however, are a lot more run down; just like the rest of the galaxy, as Aayla said above me. It all fits in, there were few materials to maintain and build new sabers, so all those involved had to "make do" with what they had. And besides, in those war torn desperate times, they probarbly had no time for ornate-ness ;)

Offline Jasher Kain

• Master Force User
  • A Knight of the Old Republic
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2009, 05:11:02 PM »

It's actually an incorrect image as it shows the Luke ANH with the grips of the Luke ESB. You can see the rivets in the grips, which should not be there. That's why I used a different image in this poll. But, the funny thing is that this picture shows exactly the elements of both versions of this saber that I prefer... the single blade adjuster knob, the bubble strip, and the rivited grips. This would be my ideal Luke Skywalker Graflex lightsaber.
That would be the perfect combo for me as well, except I liked the computer chip better than the bubble strip. ;)

Offline orlandocepeda

• Force User
  • sometimes they call me Darth Parker
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2009, 05:15:34 PM »
obi for sure i like the afbb version

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Also known as Jay-gon Jinn!
  • JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Your focus determines your reality
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2009, 05:20:04 PM »
My favorite was Obi-wan's from ANH...though I prefer the weathered version to the one pictured.  It looked more like a lightsaber would have to me...the others looked a little too much like flashlights to me.

Offline jay dee

• Force User
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2009, 05:49:42 PM »
I love all that is Graflex! Vader ROTJ, ANH or ESB you just can't go wrong. The s curve always just meens lightsaber to me anyways. BTW Luke ANH was what I settled on can't beat the O.G.
Hello... meatbags.

retrousse