fiduciary

Author Topic: Darth Vader TESB Force FX (2005) Review and Pics  (Read 20157 times)

Offline Bandit-Jedi

• Formerly known as Bandit-Jedi
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • I have a way with...the Force.
    • My other love...2002 Trans Am Collector Edition
Darth Vader TESB Force FX (2005) Review and Pics
« on: November 21, 2005, 03:05:39 PM »
MY STORY
Once again, this tale begins with me passing over this saber in its initial run.  I really did not plan on picking this one up for the fact that I had the ANH Vader FFX and I was happy with that one.  But that all soon changed when I came to find the FX-Sabers site many eons ago and started to read the reviews and see the pictures of this magnificent weapon.  Once I really got the bug to complete my FFX collection, I knew the TESB Vader would have to join it soon.  Along came the idea for 5 of the users here on the boards to get together for a group purchase on some returned sabers from AJcollecting on ebay.  We were able to arrange it so everyone in the group purchase got the saber that they really wanted and all were happy.  Did I mention that all we had to pay was $50 for the saber? A great deal, indeed!  So Master Yoda gets the order on the sabers and recieves them.   With my luck, the time for the sabers to come in coincides with the Hurrican Katrina.  My home being 40 miles north of New Orleans was affected, but not destroyed.  Everything was chaotic for a time and shipping and mail systems were down.  I wasn't sure when it would be safe for Master Yoda to send me my TESB Vader.  So I waited a week or two until mail seemed to resume to a semi-normal schedule and gave the okay to Yoda to send the saber on over.  It took a bit longer than usual but it finally came in and I was relieved.  All my sabers survived the Katrina disaster and through it all I added another to the growing collection.

THE SABER OUT OF THE BOX
This being a returned saber purchased from AJcollecting, we didn't have the luxury of getting it in the normal MR box, but Yoda made sure that it was safe and secure on its trip to me in its very own shipper.  When I pulled it from its air-pocketed container I was satisfied with its initial appearance.  Only major flaw in this "used" saber was a crease in the blade where it looked like it was whacked against a hard object.  Only cosmetic and nothing I was concerned about.

The TESB Vader uses the 3rd Generation Battery Holder which is the same as the ROTS Anakin FFX.  All you need are Three New Alkalines and you are ready to go. 

The Battery Holder Endcap with the Master Replicas and Lucasfilm Copyright dating.

Some saber details were changed from film to film in the Star Wars Saga.  The TESB Vader while similar to the ANH in most repects did have some modifications like the faux wiring added to the power plug ports on both sides of the saber.

On this side I noticed that the coating of the brownish wire was a bit worn off.  not a big deal, once again a cosmetic problem that I just mark down as a battle scar.

The On/Off switch for the TESB Vader is exactly where I always thought that it should be, the bubble-like button on the control box.  Now, really I always thought since I was a kid that you would press down on it and the lightsaber would come on, but I guess the slide back and forth design is okay too.

The Emitter assembly seems to be unchanged from the ANH model with the difference being the size only.  Most all other details were kept the same

THE SABER IGNITED

In Normal Daytime Room Light

In Low Room Light

WORKING REVIEW
Once you have this FFX in your hand you can notice the differences between this one and the earlier models.  Not only is it smaller in size, but much lighter.  That in turn can be a bad thing and a good thing.  Good, because since only 3 Batteries are used it keeps the expenses down, but bad because the weight of only 3 batteries doesn't seem adequate enough to make this seem like a Real saber.  It just feels too light, like a toy would.   But that is something that you can get past and get use to.  Igniting the saber is a totally different story.  ALL GOOD!  The Bright Red Blade seems much brighter than the ANH version.  I don't know what differences exist but it is there.(update: difference in blade was due to weak batteries.  I switched both to brand new and both blades shine the same Deep Bright Red!)  The Sound of the TESB Vader is SUPERB!  Never has there been another saber that sounds so loud and sinister all at the same time.  The motion and clash sounds are specific to the Vader saber.  Only 1 clash sound because that is all that there ever was in the films.   The ignition sound is perfect and the deactivation is perfectly timed with the closing of the blade.  The motion sensor is not as sensitive as the earlier models which is a good thing.  This saber lends to be more realistic in movement with little sound overlapping.  The clash sensor is perfect, not too much and not too little is needed to activate it.

THE COMPARISON
I don't have the TESB Vader LE/SE so I will compare the TESB FFX to my ANH FFX

As you can see, the TESB Saber is much shorter in length than the ANH version.  While the Grips on the TESB look much longer than the ANH. In actuality the TESB grips are only 1/4inch longer.

The Emitter Assemblies, while staying with the same detail are downsized a bit for the TESB Vader saber.

The Emitter housing details were changed for the TESB, as well.  No longer a coil detail inside.  I'm not sure if this is carried over from the LE version or not, but its just a small detail.

The LED blades seem to be the same brightness.  I find it amazing that the 3 Battery TESB Vader (top) can be just as bright as the AHN version (bottom)

FINAL THOUGHTS
I will have to say, I wasn't expecting much when I decided to get this saber, but it surprised me.  The louder sound makes up for it alot in places where it doesn't seem to be up to par.  The Light of the saber is magnificent and RED!  Photos just can't do it justice as to how RED this beautiful saber is.  Eventhough the light weight of the new FX seems to be a drawback to one that is used to heft of a real sword, it can be an advantage when you have a lifesize replica of Darth Vader himself and you have to let him hold his lightsaber...or else!

....more Reviews with Pics to come soon!

« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 04:22:58 PM by Anakin Skywalker »

May The Force FX Be With You!

Offline Hamill82

• under review
  • Master Force User
Re: Darth Vader TESB Force FX (2005) Review and Pics
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 03:44:42 PM »
Anakin, thanks again for a great review. It's strange how yellow the blade seems in all pics, yet all claim that it is bright red in real life. I know that it's just the camera & light which makes it look yellow, but just compared to Vader ANH it's totally different. Perhaps it's because Vader ESB fx is brighter than ANH, so it kinda looks yellow in pics. I always thought that Vader ANH and Vader ESB had the same kind of on/off switches, but this bubble-like button on the control box suprised me totally. While swinging around, does it switch off easily?

Alden Tokala

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 03:48:12 PM »
good review...lol my friend and his bro have these..a matter of fact...i jsut came back form his house and i was playing with the Vader ESB there. Its awesome. nice sound and nice size. have fun with it man.

Offline Bandit-Jedi

• Formerly known as Bandit-Jedi
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • I have a way with...the Force.
    • My other love...2002 Trans Am Collector Edition
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 04:26:50 PM »
Anakin, thanks again for a great review. It's strange how yellow the blade seems in all pics, yet all claim that it is bright red in real life. I know that it's just the camera & light which makes it look yellow, but just compared to Vader ANH it's totally different. Perhaps it's because Vader ESB fx is brighter than ANH, so it kinda looks yellow in pics. I always thought that Vader ANH and Vader ESB had the same kind of on/off switches, but this bubble-like button on the control box suprised me totally. While swinging around, does it switch off easily?
Thanks Hamill82, its good to know that what you do is appreciated.  hee hee.
The yellow comes from the spectrum of light that a camera can register as to opposed to the light that is captured through the human eye.  strange that way.  Makes you wonder what color it really is? ahha.  I retested the LED blades between the two(as noted above in the review) and they seem to be the same as I was mistaken the first time around due to weak batteries..
As for the on/off switch on the TESB, I haven't had any incidence of turning it off when handling it.  I have read that some have a problem with it, but it must be due to how you hold it.

May The Force FX Be With You!

Offline psykE

• Formerly known as psykE
  • Master Force User
  • Join the DARK side
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 05:04:01 PM »
Great Review, love the pics as usuall, but still my favorite review and saber is the Luke TESB!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2005, 02:38:44 PM by Darth Vader »
Fx Saber Collection:

Offline Kyle Katarnn

• Formerly know as Kyle Katarn
  • Master Force User
  • The Sarlacc found me somewhat indigestable, Solo.
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 07:58:02 PM »
Excellent review Anakin, I'm looking forward to get this one next for my collection. By the way I like your Darth Vader costume.

Offline blahdude

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2005, 01:31:52 PM »
yah.... very good review.... you have the advantage of doing comparison reviews which are very helpful..... i'd like to do a review on this saber... but it'd have to be stand alone...  :D

I've never had a problem with the switch... i actually like it placed on top of the control box since it's easier to avoid when swinging it around.... i always have that problem w/ my Anakin ROTS

Offline Ki-Adi

• Cerean
  • Master Force User
  • Homeplanet; Cerea
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2005, 09:52:17 PM »
Ya I plan to get the Vader ESB, I've tried it and it is wonderful. Real nice comparison between the ANH verison and ESB verison. Also love the Vader costume, just can't get enough of looking at it! ;)
"Impossible, the Sith have been extinct for a millennium."- Ki-Adi-Mundi

Offline rob

• Experienced Force User
  • What Would Porkins Do?
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2005, 10:51:29 PM »
Anakin, as always with your reviews you didn't fail to impress.  Great pics, spot on review.  I am still getting over the jealousy caused by your Luke ESB review, that fan club shirt is killer.  Early 1980s right?

Offline Nestea341

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2005, 06:10:42 PM »
This FX Saber happens to be the first and only one I have right now.

Offline bobsmith_915

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2006, 01:08:30 PM »
So how is the color? It looks orange in every pic I've ever seen, but is it really red? I was thinking of one to match with my Luke's ESB. :D
You are unique... just like everybody else.

Offline PADME AMIDALA

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2006, 01:15:44 PM »
The blade is red!
A very nice red indeed ;)

Master Marik

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2006, 12:10:03 AM »
I got this FX Saber myself...accidently closed the car door on the blade :o all it did was scratch it other than that it works fine 8)

Offline DarthArn

• Master Force User
  • They'll do their job. I guarantee that...
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2006, 03:34:23 PM »
nice pics, although i used to own one

- Custom Saber Shop Luxeon
-UltraFX Luxeon

Offline E-Loc

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2006, 09:45:01 AM »
awsome pics dude ya

retrousse