fiduciary

Author Topic: New corbin Driver!  (Read 10660 times)

Offline Sidneyious

• Alias......Ninja of the Mist
  • Master Force User
    • Blog of my saber builds.

Offline Guskenobi

• Force User
Re: New corbin Driver!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 10:40:21 AM »
quick question about the new driver

I would like to hook it up to a mr board, which i have found all the information on how to do that.
I was just curious as to what Led's id be restricted to using.
Like could i use a lux 5 or a K2? and if so what batteries would i required to use?

I know that you can hook it up to a MR board and use the Lux 3 but since this is for a special project i was wondering if i could go with a little more light

thanks!

Offline Sidneyious

• Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 10:52:54 AM »
Ok in the case of corbin/mr board the mr board is for sound only and the corbin driver works the led.

Now the driver puts out 1a or 1000ma. Now that's enough to fully drive a lux III, overdrive a luxV and really overdrive a luxI, But for luxIII reds and ambers, k2s(high current models) you will be under driving them. as they need 1.5a or 1500 ma.

Now in order to use a luxV with the corbin mr setup you need a voltage regulator for the mr board cause (some mr boards)5 colts and up will fry the mr board. The corbin and mr board run off the same battery pack and anything less than 4.8V on the corbin board wont be enough from what I can remember.

If you want to use a luxV with mr sound you will need a 5volt regulator, the diagrams I posted on tcss will work the same just use the comparison images to see where the new contacts go and adjust accordingly to the old diagrams.

Offline Guskenobi

• Force User
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 11:48:06 AM »
so id need a buck puck to run anything more than a lux III?

So if space is tight in the hilt it would be easier and safer to just run then Lux III?

the reason im asking is that since the availability of other sound boards is well nearly non existent, and i would like to do something more for my parks qui-gon so the corbin led would allow ramping and that cool shimmer and flash effect.

Also due to size factors i was going to use a Yoda board, im not sure if it factors into all of this but i figured id throw that out there just in case

Thanks for the help!!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 07:38:52 PM by Guskenobi »

Offline Sidneyious

• Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 09:18:58 PM »
For a tight hilt yes it would be best to run a luxIII but an under driven 1.5A led will still be pritty bright still.

Even thou you would be underdriving them I would use k2s for lightside and luxIIIs for darkside.

Iam not sure on the yoda board if the wiring will be the same or not as ive never seen a yoda board first hand.

Wiring will differ with some boards like the luke(rotj) and mace for instance are different designs than say a vader and an ani board.

With the corbin you will need another class sensor, iam sure corbin could help you locate one or maybe yoda could help also. with mr boards its 100% not a good idea to wire in a switch for the c&l cause mr boards dont like the mixed signals it would send.

I had a corbin(old model) and mr setup and it was fantastic but innard placement was bad on my part butr you will need a dpdt switch.

Good luck with your build and I cant wait to see it, The new corbin board is really small and would fit perfectly in a quigonn. xxx ther might be enought room to stack the boards together and save even more space.

But sadly if you go with nimh batteries you are stuck with AAA's as AA's are just a hair top big IIRC.

Good luck and happy building.

Offline Guskenobi

• Force User
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 10:19:34 PM »
Thanks for the help with a little luck i might be done by the end of the weekend. haha depending on how much fun i have!

the yoda board and the corbin fit inside so nicely its like it was ment to be ..i think there would be room for the buck puck if i wanna upgrade later

but i think for now im gonna stick with the lux3 or maybe a seoulP4 white...but i wanna keep it quigon so itll be green

im gonna start a build log tomorrow just to help out anyone else who is luck enough to get the same setup.

I happened to win an ebay auction for some extra clash sensors so as long as they aren't duds ill have extra for sure!
The yoda uses the same wiring setup from what i can tell..i mean the colors line up the same way as an obiwan or luke ANH.

Yeah these new corbin boards are awesome i cant believe  its soooooo tiny haha!

Offline Sidneyious

• Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 05:40:43 AM »
Kool, yeah the previous versions were quite big, You had to sand the sides to get it to fit in an mhs.

But with a corbin driver you wont need a buckpuck as it does everything a puck does but has the blade effects.

I dont care what anyone says,  corbins drivers are not outdated!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 02:05:03 PM by QUI-GON-JINN »

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
  • Romans 3:20-26 As simple as it gets.
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 08:12:58 AM »
Can anyone explain why he never works on getting a sound board.  With the lack of a decent sound board whoever can mass manufacture these would make some $$$$.  I just don't see why they put time into developing new drivers without sound.  Seems like a waste.  Good drive just why not go the whole 9.

Offline Guskenobi

• Force User
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 08:51:27 AM »
Yeah id give my left foot for a sound card! haha
Mr is nice but with all the things you can do with erv's  its well just totally customizable

even if it wasnt as customizable as ervs id still give it a go...maybe someone should put that bug in his ear haha

Oh and Alias PM coming your way

Offline Sidneyious

• Master Force User
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 09:20:49 AM »
PM replyed

Well I knwo there are many otu there that dont really care for sound that much or just want a nice stunt saber with blade effects.

The way I think of it its like this

Direct drive no resistor, Resistor, buck puck, corbins board.

Not only does it do everything a puck does but its way better than having a resistor and no resistor and you get cool blade effects to boot.

My next saber which is just gonna be a dueling saber will use corbins board and no sound with a luxV, a clash sensor and a C&L button.

Yes sound is awsome but sometimes its really just a drag to figure out everything like the placment of the speaker and location in the hilt for the board.

For a no sound saber it would be IMO stupid to use anything but a corbin or erv driver dimmer.

Offline KI-ADI-MUNDI

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • "TRUST THE PROCESS"
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 10:30:09 AM »
This setup is pretty cool....I think I'm gonna use it for my Qui-Gon as well....Overdrive the LUX V... what 2AA battery set up would you guys use?  Can I get the voltage regulator at TCSS?.... :)

"In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act"

Offline Guskenobi

• Force User
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 10:40:19 AM »
This setup is pretty cool....I think I'm gonna use it for my Qui-Gon as well....Overdrive the LUX V... what 2AA battery set up would you guys use?  Can I get the voltage regulator at TCSS?.... :)

TCSS was out of stock of the buck pucks at the moment

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
  • Romans 3:20-26 As simple as it gets.
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 10:58:32 AM »

Tim made me a pack out of 2 18650's and it rocks.  Overdriving a lux V and running a CF 3.0 should go over 2 hours easy.  The only downside is they need to go lengthwise to fit an MHS and the length is about 5.5" long so you need a longer hilt. But if you don't have sound then room is not that big an issue.

Offline Sidneyious

• Master Force User
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2008, 01:41:22 PM »
Ah you should be abel to get regulators from radioshack.

And yeah in a stick they may be long but you can still put the boards over top of them probly.

Offline Vincent

• Experienced Force User
  • Unorthodox swordsman
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2008, 02:23:47 AM »
I heard that some people used corbins driver in converted MR sabers, is this new one small enough to build it into a Maul saber?

retrousse