fiduciary

Author Topic: So, three Siths walk into a cantina.....  (Read 384 times)

Offline brylor26

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
So, three Siths walk into a cantina.....
« on: April 10, 2021, 10:57:58 PM »
I am one of those people that are definitely sick and tired of "New Here", "Newbie", "Newb on the Spot", etc. But if you really want to know what happens after three Siths walk into a cantina then go ask Yoda. Yes, I am new. And of course I have NEVER built a saber except for when Star Wars first came out and I was in the 6th grade. They were made of broomsticks spray painted red, green, or blue and the we were the soundboards. My friends and I were an Air Force Brats that got real tired of having duels due to bloody and/or broken knuckles. But that was the late 70s for you and I don't regret a second of it.

Is there anyone willing to help me out by letting me know what materials/items/supplies I will need. I already have these items on hand:

Soldering iron w/soldering wire and flux
24 AWG spools: 6 multicolored spools(5 ft each)
2 sets of Neopixel discs(?) for hilt and blade

I am registered on thecustomesabershop.com and have placed items in my wish list. I would appreciate advice on what is needed that I have yet to place into the wish list. This is important to me because I want to make sabers for my grandchildren soon after I complete my build. But because I am new here I am unable to add a link to my wish list. I would be so humbled for any help from any you out there that have successfully built sabers in the past. So, if there is a way to post a link to my wish list somebody please let me know.

Offline scott

• Experienced Force User
  • Oh, I don’t think so.
Re: So, three Siths walk into a cantina.....
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2021, 10:10:26 AM »
TCSS has lots of old parts list threads where folks list out what they think they need and get comments. 

Quick list, you need the empty hilt kit, a 15a high discharge 18650 battery.  Recharge port if permanent or battery holder (and on off switch optionally) if removable, momentary switch(es), speaker and sound board on top of your neo adapters.  If you are building a blade, you need pixel strips, the tube, diffusing foam (and other optional diffusion wrap optionally) and a blade tip.  You should also have heat shrink and a heat gun along with your wire. 

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 08:31:06 AM »
Welcome to the world of saber building!

The one thing Scott didn't mention that I think is important is a test meter. Just a $5.00 test meter will allow you to test connectivity, test battery strength, and resistance.

You're definitely in the best place, and lots of good people willing to advise.

Good luck!

Offline scott

• Experienced Force User
  • Oh, I don’t think so.
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021, 05:44:00 PM »
Space is right for sure...I figured if I started going down the tools and equipment path it would be a novel.  The reality is that having the right tools makes the job infinitely easier, but a multimeter is mandatory. To that end, test every component every step of the way to avoid getting to the end, firing it up and....nothing (or worse, smoke.)   Testing every step adds some time but will save you more in the end!

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
  • Very, Very English Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2021, 02:13:05 PM »
I have nothing to add here, except the subject line reminded me of a bad joke I saw some years ago:

Why can you only buy Smirnoff at the Jedi Temple cantina?

Because only a Sith deals in Absolut.

I'll see myself out.
Better late than never.

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2021, 02:18:53 PM »
I have nothing to add here, except the subject line reminded me of a bad joke I saw some years ago:

I'll see myself out.

haha

Offline eastern57

• Neato Jedi Knight
  • Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2021, 10:36:38 AM »

I'll see myself out.

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

retrousse