fiduciary

Author Topic: Profezzorn's first build (graflex 2.0, teensy, prop shield, neopixel led string)  (Read 43699 times)

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • May the source be with you.
    • Hubbe's Corner
Still no luck with the Teensy Firmware file, when I clicked on the link, the webpage returns "Sorry! That file was not found.  Hubbe.net is constantly being updated and re-organized and the file you were looking for was not found. fredrik.hubbe.net/lightsaber/lighsaber-1.14.ino"

DOH! That's what I get for not actually testing something after I change it. (And stupidly assuming there was only *one* bug to fix...)
Anyways, should be fixed now. Thank you for taking the time to tell me about a problem found on my website, please continue to do so so I can keep making it better.

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
I think I've decided to make an OWK saber my next build.
While I don't really need another saber, I do need an excuse to work on a "teensy saber v2" sound board.
The OWK is much smaller than a graflex 2.0 on the inside, so the V1 electronics will simply not fit.
The OWK can be configured for 7/8" blades, so I should be able to use my existing blades with it.

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
Finished my first LED star adapter. It has a Cree Tri-XP-E2, blue-blue-white LED star in it, together with the correct resistors. Works like a charm:

Here is a shot using an empty trans-white tube, no blade film.

Also, my blade plug looks much cooler when lit up....

I think using modules like this would be cool for other types of electronics as well, as it makes it super-easy to change the color of your saber, without resorting to RGB stars, which are just not as bright.

Tomorrow I will work on the instructions for how to make these.

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
So cool. Great innovation

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
Earlier in this thread, I pointed out the importance of documenting your failures. Yet, I have failed to do so for the LED star adapter.
It didn't just appear fully formed, I've been thinking about how to make this thing for months.

I started with a TCSS 7/8" heatsink. My first idea was to add a small piece of wire, inside the edge that holds the lens in. This wire would go most of the way around, but leave a space where a tool could be inserted to extract the adapter from the hilt. While this could potentially work, I did not have a tool that would fit, and the narrow opening is probably not going to work well with a 3d-printed tool either. Also, I tried 3d printing something that would hold the blade connector to the bottom of the heatsink, but could not figure a way to attach it securely. FAIL.

So, I drew up a second design, with the intent of hiring a machinist to make it. It looked like this: (sorry about the rotation)

This is a tube, threaded all the way through with three inserts, all threaded on the outside. The tool needed to extract the adapter would be threaded too.

A quick chat with an actual machinist, and I was told that threads are a pain in the behind to make, again FAIL.

Next design:

This one I was told wouldn't be *too* difficult to make on a lathe. It uses set screws to hold everything in place.
However, machinists are busy people, so I was told that maybe I could get it made in a few months.
I'm not very good at waiting, so I kept thinking about it, trying to come up with a design that I could actually make
myself, which is what led to the current design:

This one can be made with a dremel and a stand to hold it in place. Total success, it just took me three months to figure it out. :)

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
I'm getting back to something that I've been wanting to do since I first started working on this: Synthesizing Audio.
No actual progress yet, but I read a good book about digital filter theory. Next I need to figure out how to build ladder/lattice filters which are numerically stable in fixed-point implementations.

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
I realized I had forgotten to upload the actual source for my chassis 3d models. It can now be found together with the stl files on thingiverse. If nothing else, it documents the internal dimensions of the graflex 2.0. :)

Offline whillb

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
Earlier in this thread, I pointed out the importance of documenting your failures. Yet, I have failed to do so for the LED star adapter.
It didn't just appear fully formed, I've been thinking about how to make this thing for months.

I started with a TCSS 7/8" heatsink. My first idea was to add a small piece of wire, inside the edge that holds the lens in. This wire would go most of the way around, but leave a space where a tool could be inserted to extract the adapter from the hilt. While this could potentially work, I did not have a tool that would fit, and the narrow opening is probably not going to work well with a 3d-printed tool either. Also, I tried 3d printing something that would hold the blade connector to the bottom of the heatsink, but could not figure a way to attach it securely. FAIL.

So, I drew up a second design, with the intent of hiring a machinist to make it. It looked like this: (sorry about the rotation)
[nofollow]

This is a tube, threaded all the way through with three inserts, all threaded on the outside. The tool needed to extract the adapter would be threaded too.

A quick chat with an actual machinist, and I was told that threads are a pain in the behind to make, again FAIL.

Next design:
[nofollow]

This one I was told wouldn't be *too* difficult to make on a lathe. It uses set screws to hold everything in place.
However, machinists are busy people, so I was told that maybe I could get it made in a few months.
I'm not very good at waiting, so I kept thinking about it, trying to come up with a design that I could actually make
myself, which is what led to the current design:

[nofollow]

This one can be made with a dremel and a stand to hold it in place. Total success, it just took me three months to figure it out. :)

Greetings,

Sorry for the necro post.

The ability to switch between standard in hilt LED and a Neopixel, is exactly what I am thinking to do.

A few posts ago, you have three drawings on ideas you came up with for the in hilt LED.

Unfortunately, the third picture (the one you said worked out) does not show up.

Any chance you could repost, and or send it to me.

Thanks in advance.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 12:02:03 PM by profezzorn »

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
This is what I actually made:
LED star adapter

retrousse