fiduciary

Author Topic: A Guide For New DIY Sabersmiths (SUGGESTION TOPIC)  (Read 14723 times)

Offline Shadeslinger

• Master Force User
  • "I will consume your soul before this day is done"
A Guide For New DIY Sabersmiths (SUGGESTION TOPIC)
« on: August 02, 2007, 02:38:00 PM »
An excellent topic Lord Tyranus! 8) I have yet to fully delve into building any custom sabers although I do have a few empty hilts lying around. The biggest questions I would have is not so much the soldering and electronics, but how to successfully mount and keep the electronics inside the hilt securely.

I'll keep an eye on this thread with great interest! ;D
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 06:35:56 PM by Yoda »

Offline darthmorbius

• Master Force User
Re: A Guide For New DIY Sabersmiths (SUGGESTION TOPIC)
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 04:34:16 PM »
Actually Erv has a really nifty way of installing modules.  ;)

https://www.plecterlabs.com/catalog/article_info.php?articles_id=19

I'll add this when I get to the actual electronics section. As I will be using erv's soldering tutorial link as well.

I have a few items to add from JudgeSaberSmith, because he has been posting some very helpful hints in other threads as well.

I'll have to hit Do-Clo, Ultra, and Yoda's Topics for quotes as well.

Anyone can add there knowledge or experiences in THIS thread so I can sort through and add things, as I write. :)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 06:38:06 PM by Yoda »

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 05:09:02 PM »
 ;D
 Great job dt and i know how hot that solder can be lol :D :Dsafety shoes are a must lol :D ;)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 06:37:50 PM by Yoda »

Offline Darth Raijlin

• Great Sith Leader and Hero
  • Master Force User
  • Member of the Lost 10
    • White Dragon Academy
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 06:42:50 PM »
Hey DT...

My recommendation is to erase all the comments you have on here, and make it so that it is stickied and locked.

This way you can continue topics as you see fit, without people bogging down the thread.

Will make things easier for people to search for topics inside the thread.

Just my thoughts.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 06:37:36 PM by Yoda »

Offline darthmorbius

• Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 12:52:47 AM »
I'll do just that! Perhaps I can add a suggestion thread for those who would like to contribute and just split the topic. That way I can have the guide as a WIP and still take suggestions!

Thanks for the input Vader! I'm working on it now...
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 06:37:21 PM by Yoda »

Offline darthmorbius

• Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 10:16:20 PM »
Hello everyone. At Vader's recommendation I have locked the Guide topic and moved all the posts not pertaining to the main body of it here.

This is the thread to add your suggestions, comments, and questions. I plan on working on this in my spare time, So it will be sticky for ease of use.

It is going to take some time for me to scour through the boards for sources for my guide, but i the end I hope it helps some of those padawan saber builders out there to get a grasp on the basics!

Thanks for looking, and any suggestions will be considered. :)

May you be Powerful!
~Lord Tyrannus
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 06:37:07 PM by Yoda »

Seth Ski-Woo

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2007, 01:39:43 PM »
DT - this is a great idea and a helpful and appreciated resource - I'm sure it'll be appreciated by other keen newbs to modding like myself. I'm fairly artistic but quite spontaneous and manic and chaotic when I'm doing creative stuff, so I'll be mindful of your safety tips and the other practical considerations for sure. Thanks for putting the time in to this  ;)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 06:36:55 PM by Yoda »

Offline darthmorbius

• Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2007, 01:47:31 PM »
Thanks for the comment Sethski! It may not look like wuch right now, but rest assured I have a BIG update coming soon! ;)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 06:36:41 PM by Yoda »

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MERIDIAN
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2007, 12:40:53 AM »
Saber Chassis like seen in the Graflex Sneak Peak will eventually be available for other hilts like the MHS etc...

It will take some time until they are ready but they are in the plans ;)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 06:36:28 PM by Yoda »

Offline darthmorbius

• Master Force User
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2007, 12:44:58 AM »
Thank you for the info Master Yoda. :) I will make sure to include this in my updated listing as soon as I finish touching a few things up before posting.

I plan on re-formatting the guide a little, so it has taken me longer than I first planned to get things "just right" to allow for an easy read, and searchability. :)

Update coming soon!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 06:36:15 PM by Yoda »

Seth Ski-Woo

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2007, 06:48:07 AM »
A couple of things that I thought might be helpful:

One is a list of established suppliers of part and components that aren't specific to sabers ( I appreciate that the S.A.B.E.R. guild is there for those that do deal in saber-specific stuff and is a very useful resource) e.g. www.batteryspace.com. Also having suppliers in different parts of the world might be helpful e.g. for myself in the UK it would probably work out cheaper to order within Europe if there's a supplier for something that I'd otherwise have to order from the U.S.

Also on an international theme, a multi-region/multi-language glossary might be helpful for technical terms. I would think that this could be helpful for members who's first language isn't English (although not knocking anyone's English as when this is the case people still seem very articulate writing in English) and I've noticed that some stuff is just called different things in different parts of the world. e.g. I'm pretty ignorant about technical stuff but am beginning to learn - I remember getting blank stares from guys in local DIY shops when I was asking if they sold set screws, but when I did a bit of homework and found out that they're known as grub screws in the UK I got what I was after. I'm sure there must be other things that are named differently depending where you are.

Offline En Di Hjobi

• No Force
  • The Force is strong with this one.
    • Electric Prophet
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2008, 11:29:32 PM »
Here something I'm learning right now:

Don't panic.
Just another Jedi displaced after the destruction of the Temple.

Offline darthmorbius

• Master Force User
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2008, 11:26:18 AM »
Very true, if you panic, and get frustrated, stop everything... Take a walk, grab a soda, play a game, do whatever you need to calm yourself.

You would be quite surprised that typically the simplest solution to an issue while building you saber is normally the best.

Don't overthink, be practical. Thinking outside the box is great, but if you get too involved you can overcomplicate things. I learned that the hard way!

Offline STARKILLER

• Lord of the Strings
  • SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • VADER's VAULT MFG
    • Vaders Vault
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2009, 11:42:29 PM »
I have a suggestion: Dont get crazy trying to fabricate unecessary things for your saber, i.e. saber sleds/chassis. A lot of people start off with MR/Hasbro FX boards cause they're plentiful, inexpensive and sound pretty good. If you're making an MHS based saber, the little cradle that most of the sound boards come in, when you take off the top half, will slide nicely right in the MHS hilts, BAM! No need to make crazy PVC sleds or some elaborate chassis, especially if you're new at this. I can post pics if necessary DT. ;D

Also, a Dremel Fu Kata: As much as possible, when using the cut off wheel on your Dremel to cut sink tube, go AGAINST the rotation of the wheel. This will give you more control and not let the wheel control you resulting in gouges and run offs. It will also cut faster.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 11:46:54 PM by FenderBender »

Offline The Highwayman

• Formerly known as Caden
  • Master Force User
  • Political Thread Pioneer #1
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2009, 11:14:58 AM »
i have a suggestion. anytime you want to fabricate something totally custom, you should see if anyone else has ever done and fi they can recommend to you the proper way or the proper people to get to do it. I have had to do it on many things, not just on the saber I am building.

"It's obvious that the price of this game cannot be determined by our knowledge of fair market value, but by our skills with a lightsaber." - Obi-wan (Jedimoves)

retrousse