fiduciary

Author Topic: Mace Windu ROTS Saber ~ A Thing Of Beauty  (Read 5812 times)

Offline Darryl X

• No Force
  • Empires Rise And Fall But Evil Is Eternal
Mace Windu ROTS Saber ~ A Thing Of Beauty
« on: November 05, 2005, 01:38:54 AM »
*Ahem*

I finally received my Mace Windu saber today and I must say, quite frankly, it is an impressive specimen. Although the accuracy to the actual prop is somewhat off, I find it to be an awesome addition to my collection of prop replicas. I might consider getting more of these Force FX lightsabers. Lights and sound effects are VERY cool and realistic. When my a friend of mine saw it he almost pissed his pants. It is arguably the lightsaber with the best looking hilt.

Having said that, I have to remain objective however, and say that it is not without flaws. The Windu saber requires 6 batteries which in turn requires a larger hilt to accomodate the extra electronics. This, combined with the weight of the blade itself makes the lightsaber difficult to swing around with much speed akin to Anakin or Obi-Wan in Revenge Of The Sith. Rather, it seems as though you really are Sam Jackson in AOTC; swinging around his saber like a baseball bat. Its not so heavy though that it prevents dueling altogether, lets just say you wouldn't want to duel anyone with a 3rd Generation saber.

Them placement of the on/off switch also leaves something to be desired. Whenever you swing the saber around you might accidentally switch the whole thing off, which I must say would be disastrous if you were a real Jedi. Also the chrome plating of the hilt tends to get dirty and smudged easily which I find annoying but is probably only a minor issue to most people. I'm quite paranoid about getting my Star Wars stuff damaged you see.

Now,on to the blade itself. No doubt you are aware that the custom "Purple" LEDs used for Mace's saber cause off-colour splotches around the blade. This is probably the worst complaint most of you who own the saber have. However, good strong batteries and proper care should reduce the problem. The off-colour patches dissapear when the blade is ignited in pitch-darkness though.. Apart from that, the colour is satisfactory and the power up/power down effects are good as well.

The sounds effects are quite well done, from the idle hum to each of the 4 clash sounds. I would have loved to hear more but they are good enough. One thing though, it takes quite a bit of force to get the clash sound so I guess Master Replicas made a contradiction with "...should not be used for duelling". Nevertheless, the polycarbonate blade is indeed sturdy enough to allow for some light swordplay. You should not be bashing the saber around like a club though.

In closing, I'd like to say that the Mace Windu is a perfect addition to any Star Wars fan's collection. It is a masterpiece despite its flaws. Cheers to you Master Replicas and here's hoping that you continue to produce such high quality works of art.

Design 10/10
Accuracy 9/10
Light effects 9/10
Sound effects 9.5/10
Durability/Toughness 9.5/10

Overall: 94%
« Last Edit: November 05, 2005, 10:34:29 PM by Darryl X »

Offline Bandit-Jedi

• Formerly known as Bandit-Jedi
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • I have a way with...the Force.
    • My other love...2002 Trans Am Collector Edition
Re: Mace Windu AOTC Saber ~ A Thing Of Beauty
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2005, 06:07:02 AM »
Great review.  very insightful.

you mention your collection of prop replicas....what other goodies do you have, if I may ask?

May The Force FX Be With You!

Offline trexy

• General of the Old Republic
  • Master Force User
  • At last we will have revenge!
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2005, 06:08:40 AM »
Hey man are you sure its the AOTC fx or the ROTS fx???

Offline Jedi_420

• Experienced Force User
  • Hand-crafted Jedi Weapon
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2005, 06:32:51 AM »
  to stop my mace getting all those messy finger prints on it, i just put on an old glove..... i think its made from wool,

this seems to work really well............ you can also pretend you've got a robotic arm under there as well!!!   8)
Marge: "Homer, is this how you pictured married life?"
Homer: "Yeah, pretty much, except we drove around in a van solving mysteries."

Offline Darryl X

• No Force
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2005, 07:19:52 AM »
For prop replica sabers I have the Anakin, Darth Vader and Darth Sidious (My favourite!)
They're pretty cool to look at and all but that's as far as your gonna get...here's hoping for a Sidious or Count Dooku FX saber in the future...

Offline Leading

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2005, 10:20:40 AM »
Nice to hearr good review
"Fear.....Fear attracts the Fearful..The strong,the weak,the innocent......Fear is my Ally"
-Darth Maul

Offline Darryl X

• No Force
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2005, 06:35:49 PM »
Thanks...oh and anyway is there even such a thing as a ROTS Mace Windu? I thought there were 2 versions of the AOTC saber.. ???

Offline sycor

• Master Force User
  • Um...Hello?
    • Soylent-Red
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2005, 09:51:45 PM »
I think the newest release is labeled ROTS on the box.  It is supposed to have a new sound module also.  Otherwise it is the same as the previous release.

Offline Darryl X

• No Force
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2005, 10:32:58 PM »
Ah yes I see...mine says ROTS

Offline skizzoid

• Formerly known as skizzoid
  • Master Force User
  • At last, we shall reveal ourselves to the Jedi...
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2005, 10:33:19 PM »
  to stop my mace getting all those messy finger prints on it, i just put on an old glove..... i think its made from wool,

this seems to work really well............ you can also pretend you've got a robotic arm under there as well!!!   8)

I used to do that too!  Only I had an old leather glove, which I think might have wiped some of the gold accents right off. :-\  But I definitely felt like a Skywalker with a robotic arm and everything.
Master Replicas Force FX Collection:
2004 Mace AOTC
2004 Luke ESB (in pieces)
2004 Luke ESB
2005 Luke ROTJ
2005 Mace ROTS

Offline Gnosis

• Formerly known as Gnosis
  • Master Force User
  • The Bird King of La Mancha
    • This week in geek
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2005, 07:37:46 AM »
For prop replica sabers I have the Anakin, Darth Vader and Darth Sidious (My favourite!)
They're pretty cool to look at and all but that's as far as your gonna get...here's hoping for a Sidious or Count Dooku FX saber in the future...

Perhaps if enough of us make a noise about it
We'll see Dooku in 2007

"It is obvious that this contest cannot be decided by our knowledge of the Force... but by our skills with a lightsaber. "
Count Dooku

Sith Lord Adminstrator
countdooku@fx-sabers.com

Offline Darryl X

• No Force
Re: Mace Windu ROTS Saber ~ A Thing Of Beauty
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2005, 07:04:53 PM »
yeah..Christopher Lee is awesome as Dooku

Offline Jedi_Qaid

• Experienced Force User
  • My Ally Is The Force And A STRONG Ally It Is...
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2005, 12:04:38 PM »
I should've bought that Master Windu FX when I saw it at Tate's Comics in Fort Lauderdale FL. but The Force must have known I wasn't ready at the time...

this is my NEXT FX Saber...
  :)
My Collection

*Episode I*

Offline Mace101

• Padawan Learner
  • I am your master, Mace Windu.
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2005, 12:55:36 PM »
Actually,

The new ROTS is supposed to have no dark spots if proper batteries are put in, correct?
"In the name of the Galactic Republic of the Senate, You are under arrest."- Mace Windu, Episode 3.

Offline Gnosis

• Formerly known as Gnosis
  • Master Force User
  • The Bird King of La Mancha
    • This week in geek
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2005, 01:00:22 PM »
Actually,

The new ROTS is supposed to have no dark spots if proper batteries are put in, correct?

Not neccessaryily actually
Not all Sabers are made equal and it depends on it was made
Also, there will be tiny dark spots where the LED strip is sodered.

However, fresh batteries do help with reducing the spots but they will be visable no matter what

"It is obvious that this contest cannot be decided by our knowledge of the Force... but by our skills with a lightsaber. "
Count Dooku

Sith Lord Adminstrator
countdooku@fx-sabers.com

retrousse